Belching

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Belching

Postby mellabella » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:26 am

For the past few months i have been experiencing the uncontrollable urge to gulp/ gasp/ sigh whenever i lie down... occasionally it happens if i'm just sitting relaxing, such as watching TV but it always happens when lying down It's like the sort of sharp uncontrollable deep intake of breath you have after crying for ages. I don't know if this is a fibro thing or something to do with my meds or maybe it's unrelated to either.

The problem is that i'm waking up a few times a night feeling really sick and uncomfortable. and when i get out of bed i can't stop belching. The belching/burping isn't very lady like either, it's very loud and long and it can take me up to 15 minutes to stop. I think this must be to do with the gupling down of air i have no control over when i lie down, it must be like someone has stuck one of those air bed foot pumps into my mouth and blown me up. between this waking me up, my carpel tunnel syndrom waking me up and just generaly the bad sleep you get with fibro anyway, i'm really tossing and turning and on the go all night in one way or another.

Does anyone else get this sort of gulping and belching thing when they are sleeping?

:-?
mellabella
UKFM Member

Re: Belching

Postby shazq » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:35 pm

Hi
I find i do burp after eating no matter how slow/fast i chew my food but i dont suffer with it when laying down mine is just after eating food.
I have acid reflux and have to take meds every day which help.

I have never had the urge to gulp/ gasp/ sigh whenever i lie down..You should mention it to your GP
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Salgor » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:41 pm

Hi Mellabella

I am afraid that I have a similar embarassing problem, but mine isn't belching but passing wind uncontrollably/involuntary :yikes: This happens mostly in the morning when I get up. It goes on for approx. half an hour or so. It does happen a bit during the day, when I get up from sitting, and more towards bedtime.

Now, I don't know whether this is a fibro thing or whether it could be something to do with meds. What I do know is that it is bl*****y embarassing, especially if it happens when you are in somebody else's company (especially my 12 yr old grandson who didn't let it pass without comment!!! :nono: ). Anybody else find this?

Sally
Salgor
UKFM Member

Postby Roseofsharon » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:21 am

Hi I don't have the gulping/gasping so much as excess saliva which happens any time of the day or night. When this happens I notice I swallow a lot of air, however it seems unrelated (I might be wrong) to the amount expel (up or down).

I have suffered with belching for most of my life (my mother was constantly embarrassed and telling me off - to no avail). I have always put it down to my IBS. Recently even more embarrassing is that I have started to pass wind from the other direction (I never used to at all) but I cant just ignore them as they are coming out really smelly and lingering - so everyone notices and no amount of excuse me's can cover the embarrassment. However my IBS meds seem to have reduced the belching. Sorry for the graphic description.
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby Salgor » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:12 pm

Hi Rose
Looks like we have similar problem. However, I wish I had more saliva in my mouth as my mouth is bone dry most of the time. Just like the sandpaper on the floor of the budgie cage!!

Sally
Salgor
UKFM Member

Postby Roseofsharon » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:53 pm

Hi sally,the best thing I can advise sally is for you to go to your doctor and explain what's happening, if your doctor has another idea as to what is happening please let me know.
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby Salgor » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:26 pm

Hi Rose
I haven't told my GP about the embarrasing wind problem yet but regarding the dry mouth she just says that it is the ami's.

Sally
Salgor
UKFM Member

Postby Judy S » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:22 am

Yep, I've experienced both. It's unpleasant, the gasping thing, isn't it? And I have to be really careful what I eat these days - I have acid reflux too, and I'm sure that's to do with the belching, and of course, sometimes it's like molten lava coming up with the air and that's really horrible. I'm on omeprazole, but it doesn't get rid of the problem altogether.
Judy S
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems