Electric shocks in my head

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby professor_cyrius » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:33 pm

Does anyone else suffer with this. I don't get it often but when I do it really hurts, I can actually feel the electric traveling from one side of my brain to the other, it has even attacked my eye ball and can feel it inside. I have mentioned it to the doc, but I just think it's part of the fibro. Also does anyone feel their charactor has changed slightly, or they feel they have lost some of their inteligents due to this condition. I Had a Msc in Physics, but some days could not remember anything even though I use to do a lot of research, other days I can argue to a point with someone about it, but again can't seem to get my head around or think the way I use to. Anyone else feels like this?
professor_cyrius
UKFM Member

Re: Electric shocks in my head

Postby stealth49 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:56 pm

hi I dont get electric shocks as such but I get a feeling like someone has stuck a finger in my head and stirring my brain around, its painful and uncomfortable, and yes i sometimes feel that my inner self is missing and i dont know who i was before fibro arrived on the scene.I cant comment on my intelligence lol :-P as i cant find it anywhere no matter how hard i try.
stealth49
UKFM Member

Postby jsh » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:11 pm

I dont get shocks as such but do get horrible tingling some times just moveing eyes from side to side,and yes my character has changed,thanks to fibro.
Take care
John H
jsh
UKFM Member

Postby HunnyBunny71 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi there. I have experienced this sort of pain. Had a prolonged episode a while ago, before I was officially diagnosed with FM.

Thought I was going to go mad with the pain tbh and even taking into consideration the other pain related issues associated with FM, the pain I had in my head really scared me and it is something, touch wood, that hasn't re-occured yet and that I really don't want back.

I understand completely when you say it feels like electricity going through your brain. I described mine, at the time, as a maniacal pixie with a pick axe stabbing my brain. The pain was so bad that it left sore patches over my scalp that I couldn't even touch, and when the pain hit me in spasms, I couldn't even speak. The pain meds I had at the time didn't even touch it.

As I mentioned, I never want to experience that pain again. Whether I'll be lucky enough not too, I don't know, but you are not alone and I understand what you are going through. X
HunnyBunny71
UKFM Member

Postby Judy S » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:43 pm

The 'electric shocks' sound a bit like migraine. Migraine headaches come in so many different flavours and colours (just trying to make a few bad puns here!) from the classical 'aura' preceding the headache type to simple pain over one eye to 'abdominal' migraines, migraines without the aura, aura without the migrain, memory loss, temporary blindness, hallucinations, fragmented vision, etc. Might be worth asking your doc about that, because there are some quite specific migraine drugs which might help.

As to the fuzzy headedness, oh yeah, that's very common. Not sure I've met anyone with fibro who DOESN'T suffer from 'brain fog' from time to time. I've had particularly bad patches lately. Sometimes I can barely remember my children's names!
Judy S
UKFM Member

Postby mali73xx » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:05 pm

i get what i can only describe as electrical impulses in my head like little mini shocks i cant say its very sore wen it happens its just very distracting and can be debilatating like everything else connected with fibro but by far the worst thing for me is the memory losses and the intellect glitches i am a trained nursery nurse and have been since 1 was 16 i also did a few highers like psychology and sociology but theres times i forget most things never mind what i have learnt over the years ..my kids r used to being called with each others or the cats names now tho lol .i find myself often feeling like i am outside my body watching in and i find i get very short tempered where i used to b a very calm person ..i hate the fact that i have lost me and no matter how hard i look i cannot find who i used to be ..i just cannot get used to this illness and my new limitations and thats worse than the pain/exhaustion etc etc ...that and being labelled a scrounger and having to fight for every penny i get or dont get atm ..sorry this has turned into a wee rant i just dont have any1 that actually understands what its like :(
mali73xx
UKFM Newbie

Postby crazycat36 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:48 pm

i suffered badly from those electric shock sort of pains in the beginging after attending neurology for constant headaches and migranes which were getting severe i was telling her about these sudden pains can happen anywhere in the head and can last few seconds to hrs, she sent me for brain scans and xrayed my neck area and eventually was able to tell me that she thinks its connected to fibro (she knew a lot bout fibro) but could also b connected to headaches and migranes so she put me onto 30mg ami at night to help control the migranes and reduce the daily headaches but believe it or not actually really helped the "electic shock" feeling.

When i saw her last yr i was telling her about this and she has since discovered that it is defo asociated wi fibro but also asociated wi types of migrane so after being diagnosed for yrs wi migrane with aura she said it was a different kind cant mind what but it means im prone to migranes nearly every day and even with migrane tablet to take when escalting into full migrane doesnt always stop me from having to go to bed in a very dark and quiet room as there is nothing really they can do to make it any easier because of the fibro meds im on that most of the time help a bit.

I can rally sympathies with the pain ur in as ive been dealing with it myself for over 6yrs and im finally getting to the stage when i no when a full migrane is coming but nothing prepares me for the sudden pain that u discribe so well all i no is it stops me in my tracks sometimes for a second or 2 other times for hrs.

might b worth ur while asking for referal to neurology though just to get brain scan etc
crazycat36
UKFM Member

Postby professor_cyrius » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:16 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses. It's good to know your not alone and there's help out there. I know sometimes you feel like you're having a rant, but don't worry that's what this forum is for, so we're not alone in this horror. I know we all feel lost and the fact that others don't understand the pain or the loss of character or the people we were before. At least here we do so a lifeline can be thrown by others who're going through this hell. I wish everyone the best and give you all a hug. Robert x
professor_cyrius
UKFM Member

Postby Froggins » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:40 am

Hi, yes i get this! thought i was the only one, couldn't find any other mention of it until i joined this site!!
i get up every morning and it feels like an earth quake or electric shock in my head, it really knocks me off balance and makes me stop, tramadol seems to be the only thing that stops this, a few weeks ago i tried to come off tramadol, spent 4 days being someone completely different and couldnt walk anywhere for fear of collapsing. i completely ignored my 2 ex's with children which isn't me at all and i seemed to of developed a bad temper, which so isnt me!
Froggins
UKFM Newbie

Postby Ariel » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:44 pm

Wow. I'm new here and yet to be diagnosed with FM, but I've been suffering from exactly what you're saying for over 20 years.

I told my doc that it was like mini lightening strikes across my head, he told me it was growing pains (back in 1992). I never pushed it, but they returned a few months ago.
Diagnosed 2012! Hoping to learn more and make friends in the fibro community.
Ariel
UKFM Member

Postby kerryelaine100 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:09 am

HI there .. Im new to the forum... but yes, i get electric shocks in my brain. I was sleeping and woke to to HUGE electric shock coursing through my head... funnily enough My symptoms seemed to get so much worse after the shock.

much love peeps

kerry
fed up :swear1: off and far from home, as my old dad used to say :(
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replace expletive with the sweary smilie.
kerryelaine100
UKFM Newbie

Postby SACHE » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:19 pm

Not sure if I am getting this too. It feels to me like an elstic band snapping and pinging again the inside of my skull, usually on the right side and when it happens it scares the bejeepers out of me! I also get pins and needles type tingling in the back of my head and tmj symptoms.
SACHE
UKFM Member

Postby marianla16 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:24 pm

Hi i have just read all your comments reguarding headaches,shooting pains,i get this as well i wonderd if it was related to fibro.when i wake in the morning i feel very heavy headed and when iv had a shower or bath im exhausted before i start the day and sometimes have to go back to bed then after a while i feel ok.As for not being myself i think its someone else taking over my body lol aliens maybe,i get very moody and snappy and could just sob does anyone else get this,i also get a red rash on my face especially if im hot but it doesnt go away even when im cool.
marianla16
UKFM Newbie

Postby SACHE » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:27 pm

I do often feel like I got hit on the back of the head, a bit like not being able to wake up properly and it lasts all day :( and I get the rash on my face too. It can be dry and itchy, flares up when I am hot or maybe after eating certain foods, still trying to suss that out. I stopped using any make up, soaps or creams on my face because I was always blaming them for it. I feel like a spotty teen :roll: I'm nearly 40yrs old fgs! lol
SACHE
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems