hair loss

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

hair loss

Postby djgs » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:36 pm

Does anyone else get bald patches? I had some about 5 years ago, and was really :oops: about getting my hair cut, finally plucked up the courage to get my hair cut two weeks ago and now they're back. Last time i saw doc he said don't worry about it but so hard not to.
djgs
UKFM Member

Re: hair loss

Postby shazq » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:45 pm

Hi
I dont have bald patches but have hair loss, my hair falls out all over the house, when i wash my hair i end up with a handful,it always blocks the plug when i shower, when i brush my hair loads end up in the sink. my hair has got very thin. :(
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Re: hair loss

Postby Ldyalb » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:00 pm

Sounds like alopecia, get your GP to check it out. Like Shazq my hair has thinned. When I was 14 I had masses of it. I'm 24 in 2 months and it's definitely thinner now. I've always been a malter, I get hair everywhere. My cleaner at Uni hated me for it, she always said it took her ages to hoover my room because of it :oops:

It's always best to get this kind of thing checked out though. Fibro has similar symptoms to a number of autoimmune diseases and hair loss can be a feature of those so your GP may want to run a blood test. But alopecia is very common, my Father's started getting it over the past 2-3 years. He's 72 and had never suffered from it before, it just came out of the blue.

There are some treatments such as topical steroid creams which can help to encourage hair growth so worth looking into that with your GP. It might be worth modifying your diet to make sure you're getting enough of the vitamins which help promote healthy hair as well. Sometimes hair loss can be triggered by a nutrional definiciency, or from having too much vitamin A.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems