Rib Pain at night

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Rib Pain at night

Postby SusieW » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:39 pm

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with FM about 3 years ago. I'm increasingly finding that I'm struggling at night with really severe rib pain. It affects both sides and also front and back. I sleep for about 4 hours at night, usually waking between 2 and 3 o'clock. My ribs hurt so badly I can hardly breathe. I struggle to turn over as it hurts so badly but I can't stay in one place, I have to move. If I lay on my back it relieves the pain in my hips and knees but my ribs still hurt :cry:

Some mornings my husband has to help me sit up as the pain in my ribs takes my breath away and I can't get upright.

I have amitriptyline (30mg now) at night and find that paracetamol/ibuprofen don't do very much. My GP tried me on Gabba but it made me feel really ill so I couldn't take it.

I'm getting really depressed about not being able to sleep properly - I know it's something we all suffer but any advice would be gratefully received. :-?

I also have a memory foam mattress which doesn't make any difference at all. I've tried sleeping in a chair too but that's really painful too :-x
SusieW
UKFM Newbie

Re: Rib Pain at night

Postby denys » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:36 pm

Have you spoken to your doc about how bad it is getting??? there are conditions that seem to go hand in hand with FM and maybe this is what you are experiencing :fingerscrossed: you get some relief soon
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby loopyloo » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:48 pm

hi susiew'

i get this aswell it feels like iv'e got a couple of cracked ribs, i was like this this morning had it inch my way to the edge of the bed drag my self over onto my side and do the preggie roll so i could sit up on the side of the bed, for a minute there i thought i'd never be able to move for the pain, thankfully don't get this all the time,but it sure is fun when it happens, felt bruised and battered all day. hope your feeling better now :-)
loopyloo
UKFM Member

Postby animalhouse » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:25 pm

the best thing i have had is hydrotherapy.

had very stiff back especially at bottom and gentl stretching over 6-8 weeks really helps to ease pain and losen up.

read somewehere (sorry if not entirely accurate) your body stiffens to protect and create its own straight jacket when therir is damage to an area which made sense with me and after 18 months and many pain kjillers that was the best relief i found for my lower back.

take care adn hope you get some relief.

i also suffered costoconditis around ribs and sometimes a sudden movement such as turning round in the car to wave to someone would set if off and send sharpe stabbling pains where i didn;t even want to breathe for a few seconds.

hot bath perhaps before bed may also help to relax you.

sorry will stop waffling now. :-)
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby TillyLou » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:04 am

When i first presented with this at my doctors a locum sent for the paramedics and I was taken into hospital, all very embarrassing as they suspected either a heart problem or a clot, as a nurse I felt it was neither as I didn't feel the pain fitted although it was very uncomfortable. After several tests my initial suspicion was correct I was diagnosed with costochondritis, which is a fibre related complication. However pain killers don't really help and as with many of our problems I find I just have to get as comfortable as I can and let it pass in it's own time. It now comes and goes like everything else, just to catch me out when I am least expecting it. I do find hot water bottles and a semi felines position does allow for some sleep albeit only a few hours at a time. X
TillyLou
UKFM Newbie

Postby Sazzle » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:25 pm

I get rib pain but not costochondritis as it is not near my sternum. It is mostly round the sides. If I twist round then I get a pain the side I contract and then it goes into a spasm and I have to twist round the other way to stretch it out. It is a cramping pain. Sometimes if I have been sitting for a while and I get up and stretch putting my arms up it spasms, Hubby thinks it is hilarous when I suddenly yelp and go into a ball :nono:
Alannis Morisette if you don't want those 10,000 spoons I have a knife, wanna swap?
Sazzle
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems