ptsd car accident how have others coped.

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

ptsd car accident how have others coped.

Postby animalhouse » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:55 am

i got fibro after car accident 2 years ago and one of my other problems is going out and more specifically driving.

i still have flashbacks to the head on accident i was in and have been going to cbt to deal with this. not been for a couple of weeks as we were away last week and therapist the week before but it is so nice not thinking about it although not sure i am in denial by just avoiding it.

i have rarely driven in past few months as again oh drives me to all my appontments. i went out yesterday for first time in months by myself in the evening when traffic was quiet and got ususal sick feeling, heart racing etc. also then took daughter to work as she was late and was put on spot. if i don;t have time to think about it i don;t until i am already in car driving and thoughts flash into my mind. have always been spontaneous so thats one good thing about it. this is bringing these thoughts back into my head as well as i need to make another appointmnet again...

its been difficult for my family me not driving as oh pulled in so many different directions but i am so hyper aware of things when we go out and there always seems to be an accident - its like a sign that does nothing to reassure me that its not me - i don;t mind driving actually - the roads would be alot safer if nonoe else was on them to run into me.

i have had other little prangs years ago as a teenager and never bothered me like this one did and i keep saying to myself nothing broken but cant get over how bad it was 40mph each and head on, drs first words were you are lucky to be alive. and could have been worse could have lost an arm or leg, almost like fibro is nto a real problem - so cant get over why i am like this or don;t deserve to be as others have come out alot worse when you ssee news. has anyone else suffered like this?
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Re: ptsd car accident how have others coped.

Postby animalhouse » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:32 am

just come back and feel really shaken and upset.

went to morrisons/macd to get little lad breakfast - only 2nd time ventured out again in last few weeks so ok yesterday thought i would give it a go today.

was slowly reversing out of car space as hard to twist, bend with the fibro/back pain when this old biddy in gian 4.x 4 tried to go around the back of me, continued to slowly reverse out but as she couldn't get round she was taking up the space where my front would swing out. wasn;t going to be bullied into hurrying up aincase i hit car behind.

luckily another nice old couple came adn told her to reverse back but i still truggled to get round her with my front and as i was passing she she "you wanna learn to drive again". really upsetting and enough to put you off going out or driving. if i had done that to her all hell would have broken lose and accueses of bullying old people.

just because we are young even though i wear supports on wrists/hands all time peopel assume we are fit and well and don;t realise there is reason we drive, steer, park as we do.

i hate cars ebieng really close up to me makes me more nervous and scared. :cry:
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby Azz » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:05 pm

I had a car accident in 2007 where another car went around the roundabout the wrong way :evil: crashing into me, I cannot say that this is what caused my Fibromyalgia or not though.

Sorry to hear that you were upset by another road user, they can be so frustrating at times. Like you I still get nervous when someone is driving to close to me. Try not to be put off by others on the road, we suffer enough with our Fibro without them making it worse.
Hannah xx

To live life to the full, is to be true to myself. By being true to myself I live life to the full :)
Azz
UKFM Member

Postby animalhouse » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:24 am

thanks i do try and get out even if only to drs appts but its mainly oh driving me and i sit in back so that i can be distracted talking to my son adn not thinking about who is on the road and doing what.

i do get flashbacks though if oh jerks suddently or breaks even if only just to slow down with no apparent danger as the feel of it takes me back.

htanks for your kind words though.
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems