DEPRESSION? How many people with fibro suffer with this?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

DEPRESSION? How many people with fibro suffer with this?

Postby sjc » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:30 pm

Hello folks - hope you are all ok today.

I am just wondering if any of you suffer with some sort of depression or anxiety problems along side with you pain/fatigue condition. Have you become depressed as a result of having fibro or did you suffer with depression before having your fibro?

I have always had pain and depression/anxiety for a long time now, but I have noticed that as my pain become worse in my twenties, my depression also became worse.

I have read or know a few people with fibro that suffers with some kind of depression or anxiety related problem, and to be honest I am not surprised - as we all know fibro is a horrid condition.

How do you cope with coming to terms with your fibro as well depression. And which one do you find most difficult to live with? Me personally, I find both quite challenging - the fibro makes me tired, which then makes me depressed. But the depression makes me low, and then makes the pain worse.....so it's a catch 22 thing.

Take care folks - love to hear your thoughts. :-)
Sick of being sick, if you know what I mean. Anger keeps me going! I love campaigning for the rights of those with hidden disabilities. Enjoys talking to other like minded people - well, if you are sane, anyway :)
sjc
UKFM Member

Re: DEPRESSION? How many people with fibro suffer with this?

Postby rosehip » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:10 pm

hi there , i suffer anxiety and depression and i wold sooner have anything than deression . i had this before fibro kicked in .
rosehip
UKFM Member

Postby animalhouse » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:01 pm

i suffer with depression and fibro/cfs.

my depression is getting worse at the moment as i have frustrated at my lack of ability and the isolation it causes me adn lack of independence.

soemtimes i want to go out the urge is there but i just cant go out and it really makes me feel down as i feel a burden on my oh all the time.

its such a cruel condition both physically and mentally.

i feel i am in a vicious circle of being scared to do things because of the pain and then frustrated that i cant do something. is suppose i could do more but who wants to sometimes when they know the pain it will cause and vice versa when i make myself do something regardless of the pain afterwards just so that i am not sat on my backside all day.

:evil: :evil:
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby marianla16 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:38 pm

Hi i get really depressed but it didnt start until i got fibro,i have mood swings as well,some times i just want to stay in bed but if we all did that we wouldnt do anything,my husband has ago at me because i push myself to much,my physio told me to do bits at a time then rest for 15mins,
marianla16
UKFM Newbie

Postby sjc » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:07 pm

I have mood swings as well. I find the depression to be as crippling as much as the fibro....I hate the tiredness side of the fibromyalgia...In terms of the depression, I hate suffering lack of motivation, social withdrawal and inability to concentrate.....

I know alot of people with fibro that suffer with depression, so it must be common to have both....it also makes me wonder, does fibro come before depression, or do people suffer depression before fibro....? It is abit like the chicken and egg theory.

Take care. xxxx
Sick of being sick, if you know what I mean. Anger keeps me going! I love campaigning for the rights of those with hidden disabilities. Enjoys talking to other like minded people - well, if you are sane, anyway :)
sjc
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems