Rash on face

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Rash on face

Postby SACHE » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:29 pm

Anyone else get a dry itchy rash on their face? It is in the butterfly shape which made me wonder about lupus but I don't think I do have lupus (I hope not) I have stopped using make up, soap, cream or anything on my face but it STILL happens. I am so fed up with people telling me I have a rash on my face :( I KNOW! I am not DIRTY!!! I rinse my face with water and use soap everywhere else lol Overthe years I have blamed blusher, foundation, the brushes I put it on with , soap, moisuriser etc. I did wonder why I could use them at first and then my face would flare up. It feels hot, itchy and sandpapered.
SACHE
UKFM Member

Re: Rash on face

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:24 pm

For anything new, worsening or just generally giving you cause for concern, you're always better having it checked out by a suitable medical professional, just to be sure there isn't anything else causing the problem.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby SACHE » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:37 pm

I mentioned it to the rheumatologist but she didn't say anything, she had asked me if I get any rashes etc. She gave me a form to get blood tests for antibodies so maybe that will cover it? I need to book that in, I just feel so rough since I saw her :-|
SACHE
UKFM Member

Postby tonydin » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:28 pm

hi yes i get a dry scaly rash down sides of nose and down to chin aske gp if connected siad i could be and gave me some cortisone cream and told me to come back in 6 weeks so??????????????????????????????????????????????????????
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:05 pm

It's probably Rosacea, see your GP so they can run blood tests to check for autoimmune disease activity which might indicate Lupus. Most facial rashes across the nose and cheeks are Rosacea, it's very common. Tends to affect middle aged people of Celtic origin (so no idea why I have it (have had since 15) lol, 23 year old Romani, Mum's Welsh but is still of Gypsy stock) hence why they call it 'the curse of the Celts'.

Even if you think it is just Rosacea go and see your GP - in rare cases Rosacea and can be more severe and affect the eyes (like in my case) and can cause facial deformities in even rarer cases.

Gentle emollient lotions like E45 lotion is a good starting point to calm it down. Don't use anything alcohol based on your face, like Diprobase, as alcohol is a common trigger and can make it worse. If necessary your GP can prescribe creams which can help to reduce the redness and bring it under control.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby SACHE » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:58 pm

Ah! So I can 'thank' my Irish blood then! LOL! Thank you I will mention that when I go in too then (list is getting longer ) Is rosacea auto immune as well? I didn't know that. I have used some e45 when it's bad, good to know that should be okay. I never know what is triggering it off so the advice about alcohol helps a lot :-D xxx
SACHE
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:59 pm

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Rosacea/Pa ... ction.aspx

It's not believed to be autoimmune, seems most likely to be a skin or blood issue. It often begins as feeling a bit hot and flushed when blushing. I blushed easily as a child and when I was 15 I got periods of permanently red cheeks. I've also had years of minor eye issues which are associated with Rosacea like Blepharitis (inflammed eyelids) and Styes.

It's worth mentioning to your GP and keep an eye on it. If it is diagnosed as Rosacea and becomes worse, more frequent flares etc then let them know just in case you did have Lupus. It's unlikely you'll ever get it, but just because you have Rosacea doesn't mean you can't also have a malar rash, or have been misdiagnosed initially. It's like with everything, check it out, don't just assume. Better safe than sorry.

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby e777 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:03 pm

Hi Sache,

I've had a rash on my face for the last 5 or 6 years, which a dermatologist said was rosacea. He prescribed a retinoid cream which I apply at night over my moisturiser on the affected areas. It has made a huge difference.

I have found though that I have to be really careful about what products I use on my face. There are brands that I can use, and quite a lot that I can't. Also things like shampoo, and washing powder make a huge difference. I have tried organic stuff, and things like E45. For me the brand that is least irritating to my skin is Lancome. I do think its very individual though, what will suit one person will have someone else wanting to scratch their face off. A friend of mine swears by the Yes to Carrots range.

Most beauty counters are very good to give samples if you explain that you have super sensitive skin and need to see if you can tolerate the product before buying it.

Eileen
e777
UKFM Member

Postby SACHE » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:08 pm

Thank you for the advice. The worst part is I get a new cream/soap etc use it with no problems for a few weeks then I find I feels like using acid on my face and I get the blotchy rash appear. It takes so long to find out and even things like 'simple' seem to trigger it off. It's depressing and I would love to use an anti wrinkle cream! I NEED IT! :lol: Can some foods trigger it off? I know alcohol can.
SACHE
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:25 pm

I'm quite sensitive to a lot of things, can't use soap at all as it makes my skin fall off. I've found products from places like Lush and The Body Shop (although the latter, contrary to popular belief, DO test on animals) have worked well for my skin.

If you go to Lush and ask for a skincare consultation they'll usually give you a sample of something to try at home. I swear by Ultrabland. It's a bit pricey initially but I bought a 100g pot in mid December and am barely 1/4 of the way through it. So that 100g should last a year.

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems