Panic attack.

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Panic attack.

Postby toplessbug » Thu May 03, 2012 10:20 pm

First time tonight I had a really bad panic attack.
It sounds daft now but I was getting my tea and I was shaking, confused, full on attack.
Then I went back up to my bedroom to eat my food and hyperventilated.
It was horrible. :( :(
My safe place is my bedroom.

Does anyone else get them??
toplessbug
UKFM Member

Re: Panic attack.

Postby difly » Thu May 03, 2012 10:41 pm

yes I get panic attacks can happen at any time but more often when thers a lot goin on ,horrible feelins of hopelessness and carnt control breathing ,negative thoughts as well ,and sometimes feel like runnin away , if its not one thing its a notha just av to stay strong and same for me my bedroom is safe haven its cool , calm and my space hope things improve for you xxx
difly
UKFM Member

Postby tonydin » Thu May 03, 2012 11:40 pm

just another part of fibro im afriad ,,, another signal the brian misreads a psycologist i saw said latest resherch suggested the brain thinks death is ocurring and fires of all the bodys defence mecenisans ,,, do no wonder you feel so bad ,,,, breath in for a count of five and breath out slowely through pursed lips top a count of ten a few minites at four breaths per minite will sort it out for you hopefully

one of the worst feelings you can expriance in my opinion

tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby Katblack » Fri May 04, 2012 7:41 am

Yes, I have suffered from them for years and they are horrible!

They are not a part of FM though and you can get treatment for them if anxiety and PA's become a problem like mine did.

I had CBT and they have greatly reduced, I have 'triggers' and all but one now are under control, you have to try and remind yourself that although they are frightening no harm will come of you and it will pass.
Kat x

Scoliosis, 2 major spinal surgeries, DDD in neck and lumbar spine, Spondylolisthesis, HMS and now FM!
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." - Douglas Adams.
Katblack
UKFM Member

Postby Melbi_UK » Tue May 08, 2012 10:59 am

I've been suffering anxiety attacks for the last 3 (going on 4) years. They started after a very traumatic event in the famly and despite CBT, counselling and meds, I still experience them. Like you, they can come on for no reason what so ever! I can wake in the night having a full blown one. I too used to use my bedroom as a safe place but thankfully through counselling I am now learning to relax more around the house. The phone ringing, a knock at the door, any sudden unexpected noise can trigger a major anxiety attack.

I was told by the Rheumy that depression and anxiety can trigger Fibromyalgia and Fibromyalgia can bring on depression and anxiety. She told me they usually come hand in hand.

Try listening to some Alpha waves music.
Melbi_UK
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems