fat fingers/toes what does this mean? pls

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

fat fingers/toes what does this mean? pls

Postby animalhouse » Tue May 08, 2012 8:33 am

my hand and fingers are fat/swollel not just my joints but the length of my fingers and over hands. not just finger joints or nuckles.

also my toes and upper foot/ankles get swollen. my toes now have a crease in them 1/2 way down as if my toes lay flat or invert so there is this crease.

trying not to think of it as somewhere else i have put weight onl

my hands are alot stiffer in the mornings as well especiallly lfeft one and i am right handed.

massage guy said he also has client with me and she said her ankles are like that as poor drainage in lympth nodes so don;t know if that is it. never been diagnosed with cfs but do suffer from that terribly as well.

animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Re: fat fingers/toes what does this mean? pls

Postby Adele » Tue May 08, 2012 10:24 am

hello. a combination of meds and inactivity causes fluid retention in the extremities. i have oedema in my legs that can get severe. see your GP to be sure what is going on. my GP offered me diuretics but i drink and pee all day long anyway. sit with your legs up above your hips on a foot stool and lie with your legs raised on pillows above the level of your heart.

with your fingers try and wriggle them about or make fists and release if you are able. do this as often as you can remember and above your heart again. you can have lympth drainage massage but it's deep massage. oh and recuce the amount of salt you eat.

even if you are bed ridden get up and walk around the room every hour to keep everything moving and to reduce the risk of DVT.

best wishes, A x
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Tue May 08, 2012 4:20 pm

That sounds like it could be an issue with fluid retention. I have a relative with it and she describes similar.

Definitely mention to your Doc, it could also be indicative of inflammatory arthritis as well so best to get them examined.

Try http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/Home for some decent info on arthritis to see if your symptoms may match up to any types. I'm under investigation for Psoriatic Arthritis and one of the symptoms is called Dactylitis which is where a whole digit (not just the joints) swells up, also known by the less scientific term of 'sausage fingers/toes' :-)

http://s1177.photobucket.com/albums/x35 ... CN2445.jpg

This is what mine look like if it helps lol
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby animalhouse » Wed May 09, 2012 8:50 pm

does look similar to that ldyalb but not quite so severe as on some of photos - were they the same time or ovre a different period:

i did have xrays earlier in year, so would it have shown up then, although don;t think it did it then adn they get stiff in the mornings more now. use to just suffer from wrist/hand pain when gripping in past but not so much stiffnes..
thanks will look at info.
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby Ldyalb » Wed May 09, 2012 10:23 pm

They pretty much are all from March, bar a few but they've been like that for a while. Initially it started out as a bit of mild morning stiffness with slight swelling. Initially my parents and boyfriend said they couldn't see any swelling. It wouldn't happen every day, might get a week of it, then a few weeks off, week on again etc. Then it gradually built up to half the time, then most of the time. Now it's daily, and has been for months. Initially the swelling reduced throughout the day, it still is worse in the morning but they have gradually become more swollen permanently.

As an example. When I was 11 (am now 23 but 24 in 3 weeks) my Mum bought me a ring for Christmas. Since I was 19/20 I have worn that ring every day on my penultimate finger of my right hand. Late last year I started to notice it was getting a bit tighter on me, still went on my finger but was tighter, esp in the morning. Then I started to find it too tight to wear comfortably in the morning. This was around late November, early December. By early Jan it was so tight I could no longer wear it. I can still get it on, but only just and it's not comfortable. 2 weeks ago I went to a Jewellers and asked them to measure my finger, and the ring. I had had them measured when I was 20 but couldn't remember what the measurement (they were both the same) was. Turns out my finger is a size M. The ring is a K, 2 sizes smaller. So in about a 6 week period my finger increased two ring sizes.

I'd advise anyone with an issue of swollen fingers to get the measured, it's a good way to check if your fingers are swelling, and if so, by how much.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems