fear of being alone

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

fear of being alone

Postby lala1626 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:36 pm

hey guys i have this irrational fear of being alone. if i am at home and my OH goes out anywhere i get upset ad scared that what if something happens when im on my own, i try and hide it but when i am on my own i want to cry.
i dont know wether it is an anxiety attack or wether im just being stupid??

i dont think its a panic attack as i have seen them before and the people have trouble breathing and it takes other people to calm them down.

any ideas??

lauren xxxxxxxxx
Be nice and smile to everyone you meet.
You don't know what they are going through.
They may need that smile,
and treasure it.

Don't ask how I am unless you really want to know the answer!
lala1626
UKFM Member

Re: fear of being alone

Postby *Lisa* » Wed May 09, 2012 10:35 am

Hi

Sounds like a definate anxiety symtom. See your GP asap and he may refer you to the mental health team for CBT therapy to help you control symtoms.

The thing with anxiety is you need to nip it in the bud as soon as symptoms appear or it can get worse. The longer you fear the worse it can get as your brain stays in that panic state.

Im speaking thro experience as i too suffer anxiety and have been at the lowest BUT found CBT very beneficial in anxiety.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby lala1626 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:06 am

thankyou lisa i have an appointment with my GP in the morning so i will ask him then.
i am at home on my own now and im being super careful with everything so that nothing will happen.
i dont know why i get upset when im on my own but its worse when my OH goes out, but i feel the same when i drop the kids off at school and go back to their house (theres a dog called jambo there) and she follows me wherever i go which is better as i dont feel quite as alone.

i dont really speak to my OH about it i have told him once but he cant really change the way i think so we dont speak about it.

anyway hope i get some help tomorrow, thankyou for your advice

lauren xxxxxxxxx
and treasure it.

lala1626
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed May 09, 2012 11:29 am

Hi Lauren, I agree with Lisa, try not to 'hide' things as this will make them worse and you wont deal with the issue but just make it seem much bigger than it really is. Go and talk to your doc get help through one of the 'talking' therapies as Lisa says CBT helps you to take control and deal with stuff like this :fingerscrossed: :goodluck1:

Also if you are frightened of something happening when you are alone, there are things you can do to lessen the worry. I tend to fall so my daughters have put an SOS app on my phone, its set up so all I have to do is press it and it sends a text to both of them and also tells them where I am :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby lala1626 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:06 pm

when i drive i always have to have my phone in my pocket just in case i crash the car, if i rolled it my phone would roll around nd i wouldnt be able to get to it so every time i drive anywhere (i drive to work everyday) i panic all the way and check if my phone is in my pocket all the time...i think i have issues.

im sat alone now on the laptop and im scared of making a cup of tea as i spilt boiling water over the counter top the other day as i dropped the kettle, so now im scared to do it as i might burn myself.

when cooking say if i cook pasta in a large pan i struggle to lift the pan to empty the water so when i carry it im terrified, i try to calm myself down as i know its silly and important that i dont panic bbut its all in my head,

sorry ive ranted again.

laurn xxxxxxxxxxxx
and treasure it.

lala1626
UKFM Member

Postby animalhouse » Thu May 10, 2012 8:17 am

please be careful lalal.

some of the things you mentioned such as big pans we just don;t do anymore as it is too dangerous, so it is understandalble you are scared.

i get the same when oh goges back to work if he has been off. he only works 3 days now to care for me and when we have had a period off such as over school holidays i got really depressed/sucidial las ttime when he went back. even though once he goes i can relax, be as lazy as i want etc.

i just fear i will never get out again as i don;t drive on my own and he takes me everywhere - i sue to always be out walking, site seeing etc and to be depenednact on others to take you to drs apptmets is really crushing.

i am having cbt to deal with this and it is really working at helping me with my driving phobia, i am doing facing my fears this week and doing some bits of driving and measuring my fears - 1st day i scraped the side of the car down our gatepost :yikes: and put me off for a week but i am back on the horse and been out agin once so far.

cbt is really helpful helping get over my fibro and driving phobia it took a fwe weeks to get into it but i am starting to see benefits.

for 2 years i could only get by from day to day now i am starting to understand myself and fibro a bit better and get some control/understanding of my life.

:-)
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems