Disc symptoms mimick fibro/costo/TMJ

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Disc symptoms mimick fibro/costo/TMJ

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:01 pm

Im under investigations as my GP/Physio say i have problems with my discs in my back.

I am off for MRI soon to detected the exact cause. GP thinks prolapsed discs.

My symptoms which have caused alarms and for investigations have been weakness/numbness and nerve pain in my right leg.

I also over the years and now have frequant muscle spams that knock me off my feet for many weeks.

I have been researching disc symptoms and now am questioning whether the costochondritis diagnoses is that actually from a disc problem

Now there are many symtoms to disc realted conditions that mimick those of fibro & costo so i wanted you all to be aware of this so your GP has a thorough look at your back rather then pass symtoms off as fibro like myself.

Here is some food for thought....

This is about bugling discs but read the symptoms :-?

For example, bulging discs in the cervical spine (neck) will not only result in neck pain, but you may also experience headaches, shoulder, arm and hand pain, numbness or weakness, chest pain, as well as ringing in the ears and blurred vision.

{{{{TMJ? :-? fibro :-? }}}}}

You may not have thought that these symptoms could come from a problem in the neck, but this is very common because these parts of the body are controlled by the nerves in the neck.

In the thoracic area (upper back, between the shoulder blades), bulging discs can lead to upper back pain, pain radiating around the RIB cage, chest pain, heart palpitations (feeling like your heart is beating very strongly and quickly in your chest), difficulty breathing, and headaches.

{{{{costo? fibro?}}}}}

And finally, bulging discs in the lumbar region of the back (the low back) can result in low back pain, pain radiating down the leg (this may also be experienced as a burning sensation or numbness), pain in the feet, bowel and bladder problems (constipation, diarrhea, problems controlling your bladder), as well as sexual organ problems.

As you can see above if you feel your back has got worse or it goes into spasm or extra symptoms its worth getting a thorough check.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Re: Disc symptoms mimick fibro/costo/TMJ

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:16 pm

Just also wanted to add that alot of my back problems were put down to fibro.

Fibro can cause alot of disc related conditons as the body has to work harder from the stiffness which can cause wear & tear & inflammation and spasms.

Alot of disc conditions like mine go undetected for along time especially in my case that iv never had any x/rays or scans on my back as with a fibro diagnoses this has never been an option for me. My symptoms mimicked fibro and other associated conditions which is why im at the stage im in now :-?
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:46 pm

*Lisa* wrote:[b][i]For example, bulging discs in the cervical spine (neck) will not only result in neck pain, but you may also experience headaches, shoulder, arm and hand pain, numbness or weakness, chest pain, as well as ringing in the ears and blurred vision.

{{{{TMJ? :-? fibro :-? }}}}}

This sounds exactly like me and my neck Lisa :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: We could add broken necks to the possibilities to the list :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby animalhouse » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:03 am

same here

head on car crash 2 years ago.

no obvious breaks so no xrays requested.

only just had wrist xrays this year to rule out reason for wrist pain.

suffered with lower back, hips, and wrists now having trouble with upper back sometimes or neck put that down to stress when driving but who knows as never had xrays there.

no disc problems as when laid down can move my legs /hips (am hypermobie) so told them do not have the range i previously had),
but when stood up can barely lift my legs to stop tripping over rim on my ugg boots never mind slopes or stairs.

thanks for info lisa. :-)
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems