How do you cope with deep depression

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

How do you cope with deep depression

Postby gwenmoon » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:19 pm

Hi I have been suffering really badly with deep depression. I find it very difficult to talk to my partner about it as he totally doesn't understand. when I have in the past he just tell me to buck up and changes the subject. Its hard to tell him about the way I feel , he thinks I shouldn't feel like I do. As I have said in the past he finds it hard to accept I have fibromyalgia so what chance have I got about trying to get him to understand my depression as well.
I just wanted to know how others if they suffer from depression deal with things. I am under the mental health team but a once a week appointment is not always enough.Not sure way to do just feel like locking myself away and sleeping a lot . Any ideas I feel I need something to help me through, finding it very very hard, having a flare up at the moment as well, not had one for a while.That is making me feel even worse after having such a long time without one.
gwen :cry:
Having someone to share with gets you through another day :-) Gwen x
gwenmoon
UKFM Member

Re: How do you cope with deep depression

Postby loubie » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:16 pm

hi gwen :wave:
aw sorry your feeling so low :hugs:

depression is the most horrible thing
sounds like your getting help for it though so i am not going to bang on about seeing GP

sorry not much help :roll:
hope it starts to lift very soon for you :flowers: :hugs:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby fibro-lu » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:41 pm

are you taking any meds for depression?
sorry to hear your other half is not very supportive
:flowers:
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:44 pm

Sorry to hear you are feeling down Gwen :flowers:
Are you on antidepressants? It might be worth you going to have a chat with your gp just to let them know how you are feeling, if you are on anti`ds they might not be working so you could ask them to change them for you.

I am on 2 types of anti`ds but still have periods of depression (my gp has just changed one of my meds) with me i go quiet and tend to withdraw from people when i get depressed, i just have to ride it out until i hit the bottom then start to rise again.

Depression is an illness in itself so never try to hide it, with help & support you will get through it, it might not seem that way now but you will. :hugs:

Hope you start to feel better soon :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Brenda » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:40 pm

Hi Gwen, just saw your post and was wondering how you feel today. I too have depression and had it for about 15years.
Been on lots of different meds but stuck with setraline for the last three years as it keeps me afloat most of the time. My depression has gone up and down over the years, sometimes sinking to the lowest and thinking of ways out, but I always rise back up thankfully. Having fibro doesnt help. I think theres no one can help much we just got to ride it ourselves. Its hard for family, friends, and others to understand fully. I write journals on depression and when I look back over the years of writing not much has changed, so I have excepted I props have it for life. I just live daily, do what I can when I can. I cry a lot, hide away, then theres days I can explode with chattering to everyone and even laugh, I think I have Bipolar mixed depression I'm a little jekyle and hide. Must go now as my son wants me to sew lining in his work trouser pocket, will chat again soon thats if I dont suddenly disolve into dispair as never know how am going to be with my mood. :crazy: xx Brenda
Brenda
UKFM Member

Postby sknowles456 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:27 pm

Hi i too suffer from depression and bipolar too. I have suffered with depression for 25 years and was only diagnosed bipolar 5 years ago. i take a range of medications - sodium valporate, quetiepine, clonazepam, citalopram and mirtazapine. It has taken many years and many psychiatrists to find a cocktail of drugs to help me and it may be that you need your meds reviewed if you take any. In my deepest depression i was anorexic and then had 11 bouts of ECT treatment - that is how bad i was but today apart from my aches and pains with the fm i am the best i have ever been. I still have down days and panic attacks but i am not in hospital anymore and that is the main point. I do hope you find someway to alleviate your depression, please see your GP again or psychiatrist and let them know how you are feeling.
Take care Suzy x
sknowles456
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems