Dentist and TMJ

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Dentist and TMJ

Postby judipat » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:43 pm

Hi
I have not posted on this forum before but have been a member for quite some time. It has been a great help to me since I was diagnosed with fm two years ago.
Two weeks ago I went to the dentist to have preparations for a crown - my dentist ended up having to give me 7 injections before I was able to let her use the drill - yuk!! I have been in constant pain ever since.
I do suffer with tmj but never to this extent - my whole mouth, jaw, ears and neck are throbbing and painkillers are not touching it.
My dentist is making me a mouth guard which I have to collect Friday.
Has anyone else had this experience and can anyone advise on the best pain relief. i have been taking paracetamol and codeine and lying on a hot water bottle etc.
judipat
UKFM Member

Re: Dentist and TMJ

Postby masonsbarms » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:59 pm

hi judipat, sorry you are feeling so bad,

i dont know if im right but you should get some anti inflamatries from your gp to help,

i think that i have read it but if im wrong someone can let you know on here im sure.

hope you feel better soon and the gaurd helps.
take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:29 pm

Hi
Sorry to hear you are in so much pain. :hugs:

You should give the dentist a ring & tell them about all the pain you are in, you might have an infection in the tooth, they should see you straight away. Or make an apt to get some strong pain killers from your Gp.

Dont sit and suffer.Hope the pain eases soon. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:04 pm

If the symptoms are that of TMJ i think it possible was set off by the preceedure as you would have had to open your mouth for a long time and this can agrivate the TMJ

My TMJ i would say is severe and im actually seing my dentist thursday as im having trouble with spasms and unable to close my mouth without severe pain and spasms.

My dentis malnipulates my jaw and perscribes diazapam when i get this bad.

I also have a mouthgiard which helps alot and anti-inflammitries help also. An ice pack around the jaw can help or a wheat bag.

Hope it eases soon for you
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby MichelleJ » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:36 pm

My dr has said I have TMJ and to see my dentist, problem is I can't get an appointment so a bit stuck. What can they actually do? I have a mouth guard which I can't wear as it hurts my gums and teeth, seem to be getting a lot of pain round my mouth recently. My jaw clicks constantly, actually clicked out completely a week or so back and had to force it back in so I could shut my mouth. It hurts when I eat, get pain shooting through my jaw and face and get alot of aching with it. My friend has it and had her duloxetine increased to help but mine is already on full whack. Any tips/suggestions?
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:40 pm

I had a mouth guard and couldnt cope with it cos I had an uncontrollable urge to bite down on it every time I wore it which made my jaw worse :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: Hope it works for you :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems