IBS and FM

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

IBS and FM

Postby sknowles456 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:47 am

Does anyone else suffer from IBS? I have a severe form and see the top professor in the UK for my consultations. I am currently on Omeprazole, Metroclopromide, Buscopan, Strong Co-codamol and oromorph prn. I constantly look pregnant and am in pain all the time. I have recently well over the last year developed all the fm symptoms, i have had TMJ, disturbed sleep patterns, stiffness, numbness, swollen ankles, shakes, funny temperatures and my ibs doctor is convinced i have fibro as both fm and severe ibs can go hand in hand. I am now awaiting to see my gp to ask to see a rheumatologist to hopefully get some answers and some help. Until then i am finding this forum very helpful so thank you. I would be interested in anyone else who has bad ibs.
sknowles456
UKFM Member

Re: IBS and FM

Postby denys » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:09 am

The short answer is yes, it would seem a lot of us have IBS in varying degrees :fingerscrossed: you get the answers soon. Glad you are finding us helpful :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:31 pm

Another here with the FM/IBS pairing. It is a known associated problem/condition with FM unfortunately.

Hope it's not too long before you can get some answers as to whether you have FM. Glad you're finding things on here helpful tho :wave: :wave: :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

IBS and FM

Postby toplessbug » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:14 pm

Can I ask please message if you want.
What symptoms you have for IBS, I've looked it up and from what I can tell I think I've had it for nearly 30yrs and never told anyone (head in hands) :-(
Thank you
toplessbug
UKFM Member

Postby loubie » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:29 pm

yes another one here :roll:

toplessbug, go and see your gp tell them whats going on
its nasty but there are meds to help :-D
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby sknowles456 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:38 pm

I have had ibs for over 20 years but it has got progressively worse since i have had alot of surgery over the years - laparoscopies/cystectomy/hysterectomy/adhesion removal/peritonitis and appendicitis :-(

My symptoms include constipation/diarrhoea/mucus in stools, extremely distended abdomen to such an extent that people ask if i am pregnant :-( I get cramps up my back passage, pain in my abdomen and general aches and pains all over but not sure whether these are fm symptoms. I see the top professor (Whorewell) in the country and he is brilliant.

I take strong cocodamol 4 times a day to cope with the pain and diarrhoea, oromorph when the distention and cramps are too bad. Buscopan to try to relax my bowel, diazepam rarely when symptoms are bad. Sodium picosulphate to make sure i empty my bowel every day. Prof whorewell now wants my doctor to prescribe buscopan in injection form for me to administer myself as he thinks this will greatly help. I am a little wary but will try anything to help.

Severe ibs is a debilitating condition like fm (my worse experience was when i was at my mums and i soiled the bed in my sleep!) and i sympathise with anyone who is going through the same thing on a daily basis. x
sknowles456
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:42 pm

Hi
Yes i am another one that suffers with ibs & ibd.
My symptoms range from constipation to diarrhoea stomach cramps, bloating, feeling sick, back ache, sweats.

I take Buscopan for the cramps and have to lactulose/laxatives to control the constipation/diarrhoea

You should go to see your Gp about it because they will be able to give you something to help. A hot water bottle can help ease the stomach pains.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

IBS and FM

Postby toplessbug » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:06 am

Thanks for the advice guys. Apparently I have IBS and was diagnosed years ago or so my husband says, to be honest I can't remember lol.
But then again I have trouble remembering what happened last week.
xxhugsxx
toplessbug
UKFM Member

Postby juliet » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:41 am

Hi guys, yep another here with fibro and ibs.
of all the drugs etc that they have tried over the years the absolute best thing I have found to help it is taking multivitamins with probiotics in them... Has anyone tried this and found it helped. Apparently some thing to do with friendly bacteria or something.... I'm going to stop before I turn into a yackult type advert.

Anyway found I suffer a lot less constipation/diorreah/bloating when taking them :-)

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
Juliet xxx

Happiness is not getting what you want, it is being content with what you have.
juliet
UKFM Member

Postby Lesley-Ann » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:02 pm

Me Too!!

I've had IBS for almost 20 years now. Mine was so severe, and wasn't diagnosed for over a year, had bowels checked, tubes, uterus .... and so and so forth before hospital gave up sending me back to GP and one visit to a new GP at the practice got me an instant diagnosis. Only took around 18 months and led to a large tumour like swelling on my left side. Visible through clothes. Like a deformed Quasimodo.
Lesley-Ann
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems