Osetoporosis added to long conditions list

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Osetoporosis added to long conditions list

Postby pixiecat » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:56 pm

HI

Well I have just had it confirmed that now I have osetoporosis of my spine and left hip, although thats all they scanned so I dont know if I have it anywhere else. :roll:
Had my interview with dwp as i've been put on the wrag group and when I told her the first thing she said was get it sent in asap to go with my appeal, why does it always happen on a friday afternoon ??? :crazy:
So I have now got meds for that to take once a week sitting up for half an hour with only water before I do anything just hope I can
remember the instructions once a week cant always remember to take meds 3 times a day :crazy: :crazy:

Hope everyone is surviving this crazy weather

Lorraine
pixiecat

Re: Osetoporosis added to long conditions list

Postby smileyface » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:25 pm

Hi, another condition which is painful but thankfully the drugs are fairly easy to take - if you cannot remember to take medication why not use the alarm on a mobile phone? Some of my drugs were at one stage hourly and 2 hourly and so this was invaluable!
The weekly drug is v important and it is also v important that you take it as instructed. you dont need to sit still just stay upright so no bending over etc etc!
The oesteoporosis assoc is invaluable too and they provide excellent info and support. How manyfractures have you had? if none work to keep it that way!
Happy to chat about it if you want to. Smiley
smileyface
UKFM Member

Postby millymoodoo » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:08 pm

Hi Pixiecat

Bless you just another problem to deal with!!! I too have osteoporosis and have to take daily calcium supplements and also the one a week tablet. As smileyface says follow instructions on how to take this tablet, i made the mistake of taking it with my coffee and paid a very high price, i was violently sick so i alid down exhausted and the sickness totally errupted. So now i take it when i get up on a sunday morning with water and sit upright or stand for at least half an hour and since it has been ok. I have been on this drug now fo 4 years and despite being very careful have had 3 fractures 1 of which had to be surgically repaired. You would think that my calcium level would be at a reasonable level but it always comes back very low.

Take care
Milly xx :-)
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby smileyface » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:57 am

Hi Milly.I know this possibly sounds mad as most calcium tabs have vit d in them but as your calcium levels are v low have they checked your vit d levels? I am on a v high dose of extra vitamin d now for 6 weeks to see if things will improve. this being low can also cause severe pain and fatigue so the Consultant said! Worth asking as often we can be missed for other things when we have several things going on cant we! smiley
smileyface
UKFM Member

Postby pixiecat » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:03 am

Hi thank you for your replys

I took my pill on Sunday as this seems to be a quiet day an followed the instuctions and so far all is good.
I have had both calcium and vid d checked and all are ok, infact the reason I had the bone scan was to stop
taking the calcium + vid d tabs as I have been taking them for over 5 years and was told I would prob
be worse than I am if I hadnt been taking them and prob why I havent had any fractures up to now

take care
Lorraine
pixiecat

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems