Colitis/IBS attack

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Colitis/IBS attack

Postby JemmaB88 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:07 pm

Hi guys,

Can I ask for some advice please? I have a lot on my plate at the moment (not nasty things but a lot of pressue), and this seems to have caused a big flare up of my IBS issues.

Last night I went to bed at about 9pm due to feeling very bloated and in quite a bit of pain in my abdoment. I took my buscopan tablets and put on loose fitting PJ's and got in bed. By 10.30pm I was nearly in tears with the pain and I kept belching (very lady like!) By 11.30pm I had been to the loo 3 times, just passing rabbit poo type motions and the pain was increasing all the time. At 1am I had a very sharp stabbing pain in my lower left hand side abdomen and needed the loo immediatly. I raced along the landing trying not to wake everyone up and just made it to the loo. I stayed there for 30 mins or so. I was in agony. I had very watery diarhoea and mucus.

This happened again at about 3.30 and 4.30. By this time I was so tired, I managed to get about an hours kip before needing the loo again at 6am. I just got up then and tried to get in to a work frame of mind.

I have just got in from work and managed to eat a cereal bar and have a glass of water. Does anyone else think I should try to see a doctor in case it is an infection or something? Can you actually ask for certain meds? I would like to have a course of metronidazole again, as this helped me in the past. (I work in a vets, so know this is the best thing for a colitis attack). I was worried that I might have picked up a parasite at work. Giardia or something.

If someone could make this decision for me (tiredness and fibro aren't friends are they! My decision making is out of the window), I would be very grateful. I just want to know if anyone else would think its just another flare or if its something else that a simple course of antibiotics would help.

Thanks,

Jem xx
JemmaB88
UKFM Member

Re: Colitis/IBS attack

Postby masonsbarms » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:51 pm

hi jem, after a stressful day on sunday, i was like you all day testerday, i went about 12 times even having a brew went stright throgh,

i just had a couple of toast last night and its much better today,

but if you are worried or its not getting better then yes i would see gp.

he may give you something else and it would put your mind at rest,

hope you feel batter soon
take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Re: Colitis/IBS attack

Postby shazq » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:59 pm

Hi Jem

It could be a flare up of ibs? or you could have picked up a tummy bug from work? Does it feel the same as a normal ibs flare?
If you still have the same symptoms after 24 hours you should go have yourself checked over by your Gp as he is going to be the only one able to give you the answers.

Hope you are feeling better soon. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems