Hypothyroidism diagnosis

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hypothyroidism diagnosis

Postby kitty.f » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:12 am

Well, one question has been answered today. Had a blood test for thyroid levels last week and the Dr actually rang me early this morning to say the levels "are in your boots." He also said it may not explain all my symptoms but will be the cause of some of them. He's putting me back on levothyroxine and doing another blood test in 6 weeks. I'm beginning to feel hopeful again, because a) the thyroid treatment is pretty straightforward and b) I felt properly listened to at long, long last. I've had a good old read about fibro and the related illnesses and, although it's not great I think with the right tools I can manage. I still feel like death but at least I don't feel despondent now! :-)
kitty.f
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hypothyroidism diagnosis

Postby denys » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:39 am

Glad you feel a bit better Kitty and :goodluck1: with your thyroxine
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby e777 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:28 pm

Hi Kitty,

I've had an underactive thyroid for about 20 years now. When I was last with my rheumy about my fibro, she said that it was really important to make sure the thyroid is at the right level because if the thyroid levels were out that it would make the fibro worse.

From what I've read and experienced, thyroid can cause aches and pains and tiredness which often mimic fibro, but if it was just thyroid you wouldn't have a positive response to the tender point test.

Hope you have a really good response to the meds. It usually takes a few weeks before you feel the difference, and if you've just been diagnosed it may take a little while to get your dose right.

Fingers crossed it will all work out well.
e777
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:46 pm

:fingerscrossed: hope the meds help Kitty
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby kitty.f » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:57 am

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated :) It's been quite a rocky road getting to this point. I'd had a few dips in thyroid readings (only had that properly explained last week) and was eventually prescribed thyroxine, took it regularly for 9 months, without any improvement in symptoms, then during a really bad patch forgot it for a couple of days. Felt so lousy anyway when I realised I thought 'It's not making any difference. Why bother taking it?' and stopped altogether. Bad decision, but when you're feeling that ill, confused, worried, in pain, a nuisance you don't always make rational choices. Should have gone back to the doc about it - shoulda, coulda, woulda *shrugs* didn't :lol: Despite going back for other symptoms, repeated tendon problems, exhaustion, muscle pain, swollen joints, dry eyes, difficulty sleeping doc didn't mention the thyroid so I didn't think it mattered. Anyway, that was then. I'm determined to learn how to live with this stuff the best way I can. Somehow I've managed to keep my sense of humour and determination and am, finally, feeling like they are taking me seriously.
I've go on a bit but never been able to talk about it before. I'm sure you understand. Hello? Hello? oop everyone is :sleep:
:-)
kitty.f
UKFM Newbie

Postby hirschpud » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:45 pm

Thyroxine alone is not much use. It is only T4. You need T3 as well but I don't know what chance one has of getting it the UK now. I was diagnosed hypo in 2000 but moved to France a year later. I read a lot of stuff (including his massive book on FM) by Dr John Lowe. Checkout his website. I have not been diagnosed with FM but have some tenderness at the points and I suffer from chostocondritis on and off. This is worse when my vit D is low. I felt MUCH BETTER with a combo treatment of T4/T3 than on thyroxine alone.
hirschpud
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems