MENNOPAUSE & FIBRO

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

MENNOPAUSE & FIBRO

Postby glow » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:23 am

HI WOULD ANYONE BE ABLE TO SUGGEST WHAT I COULD TAKE TO EASE HOT FLASHES, HAVING DAY & NIGHT. TRYING NATURAL VITAMINS,SOYA. HAD HYSTERECTOMY 09 BUT LEFT OVARIES, HAD TO HAVE ONE REMOVED FEB012 DUE TO CYST GROWING.
NOW HAVING NON STOP HOT FLASHES. WITH MEGA SLEEP PROBLEMS REALLY BADLY AFFECTING FIBRO NOW.
DOCTOR SUGGESTED LOW DOSE HRT, BUT MOTHER AND OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS HAD BREAST CANCER.
SO WORRIED WHAT TO DO, WANDERING IF THYROID NOT GREAT NON STOP DRINKING WATER.
IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE VERY GRATEFULL. :-D :-D
glow
UKFM Newbie

Re: MENNOPAUSE & FIBRO

Postby shazq » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:31 pm

Hi
Sweating is a symptom of fibro plus it could be menopause as you have had a hysterectomy, i started early menopause because i had to have a hysterectomy in 97 but still have my ovaries but they packed up a couple of yrs back.

HRT has my sweats under control, i get hot flushes here and there but not to bad.

There is not much you can do besides wear loose cotton clothes.
just sleep with a cotton sheet over you, cotton pj`s/nighties
keep a fan on you
cold flannels on you for head
have warm showers not hot ones.

sure other people will add more tips :-D

Please note that typing your message in ALL CAPITALS is the equivalent of shouting and is considered to be bad "netiquette" it is in the basic rules of the forum.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Zaralaska » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:12 pm

Hi Glow,

Sorry to hear you're having a bad time. Like you I've had a hysterectomy and both ovaries removed, this was in 2006. I don't use HRT either. Initially I had a really bad time with hot flashes, they have reduced, but are still unpleasant. I have a fan in my bedroom, a nice soft towel on my pillow which soaks up the perspiration and believe it or not helps you to stay asleep !! I also have a flannel next to my bed to mop my brow. Have you tried a Chillow Pillow ? They are really good and can be used for many conditions, including Fibromyalgia.

I hope you are feeling much better soon

Caron
Zaralaska
UKFM Member

Postby lolabolla » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:29 pm

I went through a very fast menopause after losing my dear father in 2004, I thought the hot flushes were anxiety attacks..doh!! silly me.

Anyway, I cannot personally advice anything myself but my mum suggests try takining sage. Dad used to buy it for her in capsule form, she absolutely swears by it and it improved her symptoms dramatically.

Even now at 75 she still insists on taking it every day along with oil of evening primrose.

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby Zaralaska » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:22 pm

Me again :-) I've just remembered through the 'fibro fog' that I also have a Cooling Mattress Cover which I recently bought from the Next sale. Not only does it cool the bed down, it is about 2 inches thick and very soft, so when you lie on it it 'cushions' those tender muscles and joints. If you have long hair tying it up helps to keep you cool. I also have 2 quilt covers on the bed, a summer and a winter one which I have on top of the summer one, so when I am having a hot flash I pull down the top one and the summer one stops me from getting cold when the hot flash is over and I go straight back to sleep :-D The things we women have to go through :roll:

Lola, I am going to try taking sage, so could you thank your mum for her advice :-)

Caron
Zaralaska
UKFM Member

Postby glow » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:00 pm

Hi thanks very much for replies will try these, really nice to hear from others. Sorry about Capital typing felt so rubbish forgot, that i was on full capitals. Anyway Thanks again Ladies. :-D As back now gone again!! hopefully when that calms down will be able to get out get some fresh air. Lol Glow :-D :-D
glow
UKFM Newbie

Postby hazelairedale » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:47 am

How about Wellsprings serenity cream. Its a natural progesterone cream that is supposed to help with hot flushes. I got it because I've been put into a chemical menopause prior to a hysterectomy. I couln't tolerate hrt or the cream as it flared up my endometriosis symptoms but some people love it
hazelairedale
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems