When is a headache a migraine?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

When is a headache a migraine?

Postby Ria Landon » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:54 pm

has anyone else started to get worse headaches after fibro diagnosis?

I've never really suffered with headaches over the years, just the odd one now and again. However I am now in the 2nd day of a headache that has totally wiped me out and I feel absolutely rotten. I feel sick and even when I think the headache is gone my head still feels heavy and strange. I'm also very sensitive to noises and smells but I've been like that for months now and know thats a fibro symptom. I have had this once before and it lasted 3 days. I have rhematoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and fibro. I take Methotrexate, slow release Tramadol, Gabapentin and co codomol for pain relief which seems to work well for me but doesnt seem to touch this horrible headache. It has taken months to get my meds right so I dont really want to speak to gp yet because i don't really want to change them but I cant cope with much more of this. :(

Thanks

Ria
Ria Landon
UKFM Member

Re: When is a headache a migraine?

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:37 am

My head always feels if its being crushed in a vice especially mornings!

The severe chronic stiffness in my case is what cases these daily tension & migraine headaches. For me only physio can relieve some symptoms working on the trigger points.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:06 pm

Ria, what you have described symptom~wise may well be a migraine. However it might be an idea to see your GP about the headaches, just to be sure that you're doing the right things to manage them. There are meds that can be taken in addition to your usual ones to help make things more comfortable for you.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:51 pm

Hi Ria

It might be caused from a side affect from your meds? i had bad migraines when i was on Methotrexate.
There are prevention meds you can take everyday so it might be worth going to have a word with your Gp about them. :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Ria Landon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:15 pm

I dont think its the methotrexate because i was on it for a year up until a few months ago, had to come off it for a few months because I got a nasty cyst that had to be surgically removed. I am now back on it but not such a high dose and they are monitoring me closely because if anything else hapens they will try me with something else. Not sure if this makes sense but It sort of doesn't feel like the methotrexate but hey, what do i know...... Confused to the limit I am!

I think thats my hesitation to go back to the gp. Its taken ages to get my meds sorted and this is the most stable I have been with managing symptoms of 3 horrid diseases. I know my body now and just about got the hang of which illness is causing which pain. So I am a little reluctant to go to gp but I think I will have to if these headahches continue. It surely cant be right being on all that pain medication and still be in so much pain.

I'm actually feeling a lot better this evening so hopefully thats the end of this one :-)

Thanks everyone :-D
Ria Landon
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems