Help

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Help

Postby 888Lynne888 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:13 pm

Hi,
This is my first post on here and can I just say that since I was diagnosed I have found this forum really useful and a massive help in the many question I have :-)
My biggest question I have at the moment is do any other suffers find that the week before there period (and a during) is the most painful? I can just about manage my symptoms any other time but I can hardly get out of bed :cry: and im in sooooo much pain it is all I can manage to go to work and pretty much come home and go to bed :shock: Has anybody got any tips on how they manage.

Many Thanks Lynne :-x
888Lynne888
UKFM Newbie

Re: Help

Postby masonsbarms » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:25 pm

hi lynne, i have noticed that my menstral symptoms have got worse, but i think that it is the fact that our homones change,

and this cant be helpful to our complicated condition,

i try to get more rest and use hot baths and hot water bottles it helps a bit.

i cant think of any other help but you should mention it to your gp he may be able to give you some help.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby Jo43 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Hi, I had a hysterectomy inc. ovaries removed last Oct due to excrutiatingly periods but wasn't diagnosed with FM then. Have always had problems though and had polycystic ovary syndrome and needed hormone treatment to get pregnant 13 yrs ago. After that I went on the pill but always had really painful periods then I had the Mirena coil fitted which worked for about 4 yrs but then stopped. It was brilliant, completely stopped my periods within one month. It stopped working though (usually last 5 yrs) so I had a new one fitted but it never worked properly. The pain was just getting worse and worse and ended up being in agony about all but about one week a month and went on the injections to stop ovulation for about six months before hysterectomy last October. I started with back problems that escalated and spiralled out of control about 6 years ago but only really got as bad as I am now 2 yrs ago (which all links with timing of onset of back and FM problems). I was also diagnosed with underactive thyroid and my IBS flared up again (have had IBS for about 20 years). I kept telling drs about the fact that my back, IBS and other symptoms were terribly exacerbated by my periods but they just never linked it all together but to me and my family and close friends, it was obvious it had something to do with it.
I was only officially diagnosed with FM last month but knew I matched all the symptoms about 2 yrs ago when I did some research as one of my drs mentioned I had some of the symptoms of FM/ME although didn't diagnose me. When the dr at the pain clinic diagnosed me last month (also with arthritis of lower spine and hips) he did explain that FM is thought to be due to chemical imbalances in the brain sending out wrong messages all over the body and it does include hormones along with lots of other things it upsets.
I am positive my period pain was linked to FM but could not make my drs see it. Ended up paying privately for a laparoscopy June 2011 to examine gynae problems which found adhesions and then paying privately for the injections to stop ovulation until had hysterectomy in Oct 2011, which all in all cost me about £3500.00 and we weren't insured. If drs had taken me seriously I wouldn't have had to pay this and it does annoy me that they never put all my symptoms together and realised that it was FM.
If you've not tried the Mirena coil, I would recommend it. Can take 6 mths to settle but when it does you sometimes stop having periods all together, which is what happened to me with the first one.
Hysterectomy has obviously done away with periods but unfortunately left me with no feeling of needing to pass water due to nerves being severed so don't realise I need to pee until bladder nearly bursting and am in a lot of pain. Now have lots of water infections. Heyho! Never rains but it pours!!! Typical, if something can go wrong, it'll go wrong for me, lol. :roll: :crazy:
Jo43
UKFM Member

Postby Whiddershins » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:54 pm

Hi there, Ive sought homeopathic support for my FM. I was diagnosed 2 years ago but they think Ive had it since my teens. My homeopath has helped me alot and to be honest without her there is no way I would still be mobile. One of the treatments she gives me is oestrogen based, apparently at a recent homepathic conference practioners were asked what had garnered the best results on FM patients. The top two sucessful treatments were hormone (oestrogen) based. This would sugest that hormones are at least a contributing factor to the illness. I notice that the week before and during periods my whole system struggles, and obviously my FM gets a lot worse. There is clearly a link. A GP once told me that womens hormones are post graduate course, so most GPS have only a basic knowledge. She said that few stick around to study it because they all want to be out practising. That would kind of explain most of my experiences as a woman with GPS. All they have to offer you once a hormone imbalance has been diagnosed is the pill which in this day and age is crazy. Hormones effect everything, from your digestion to brain function, its terrible that GPS have so little to offer when hormones go haywire and make your body malfunction.
Whiddershins
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:39 pm

:welcome: to the forum Lynne :penguin: :penguin: :penguin:

Not much advice from me I'm afraid, I'm another fan of the Mirena and haven't had a period since my first one was fitted :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: With what you've said, it might be worth seeing if it might be something that could help you.

If you were interested in a homoeopathic approach like Whiddershins has suggested, it would be wise to check with your GP about things as there can be potential interactions between homoeopathic treatment and prescribed and OTC meds/treatments.

Anything else you're wondering about, just ask about it and we'll try to help you with it :wave: :wave: :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems