Thrombocytopenia purpura (ITP)

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Thrombocytopenia purpura (ITP)

Postby C4thy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:05 pm

This might seem to be a random question but I haven't seen it anywhere in relation to fibro. Does anyone have both fibro and ITP (thromocytopenia purpura)?

I was diagnosed with ITP nearly 4 years ago and it's an autoimmune disease where the platelets (clotting cells) in my blood are destroyed by my immune system preventing my blood from clotting properly. My fibro symptoms got substantially worse at this time and all treatments for ITP cause me a fibro flare (as I now know it) that lasts up to 6 months. It's got me wondering if the two conditions might go hand in hand. I have to treat ITP as it is dangerous but the side effects with the flares have ended my career and my old life.

I don't really expect anyone to have an answer to be honest as ITP is very rare but if I don't ask then I'll never know. :)
C4thy
UKFM Member

Re: Thrombocytopenia purpura (ITP)

Postby denys » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:34 pm

sorry no its not mentioned in any of the literature I have read that these 2 conditions go hand in hand
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi
Sorry i have not heard of a link either.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby C4thy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:00 pm

Thanks for your replies. I can't say I'm surprised that they're not associated. I think I'm just lucky enough to have ITP as a bonus!! It did make me wonder though as so many of my other so called conditions appear to be fibro related. :-?
C4thy
UKFM Member

Postby connie123 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:54 pm

Hi,
I don't have ITP but I do have ET (Essential Thrombocythaemia) which is a myloproliferative disease similar to yours in that my bone marrow makes too many platelets which can be dangerous because it can cause strokes and heart attacks. Again it is very rare. I have had FM for many years but I would also say that it has become worse since I was diagnosed with ET.

Connie
connie123
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems