Very sore burning mouth

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Very sore burning mouth

Postby caterpillar » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:07 pm

Hi everyone, not posted for ages as been quite happily bumbling along for a while but I've had this symptom for over a month now and I'm terrified I've got mouth cancer!!!
I've used nicotine replacement therapy (gum and lozenges) for around 5 years now. For the past 4/5 weeks I have been experiencing rough sore patches on the inside of my cheeks and tip of my tongue. They only hurt if I have a lozenge, something hot or very cold to eat or drink, or something spicy or minty. Part of me thinks it could be thrush or lichen Planus, but part of me is worried I've brought it on by excessive continual use of nicotine replacement use.
My Dr thought it could be Lichen Planus as to begin with I had a white film in my inner cheeks, but now there is no visible sign at all.
Any thoughts? I am due at dentist in a couple of weeks.
caterpillar
UKFM Member

Re: Very sore burning mouth

Postby millymoodoo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:34 pm

Hi

I too have had a very sore mouth for about 6 weeks now but mine seems to be down to me biting my tongue/cheek in my sleep. ts really not getting any better but i havn't spoken to my GP about it, like you i am scared of it being something not nice. Instead i went for an mri last tuesday of my neck/spine and hips and hoped that if it was anything serious it would show up when my neck was scanned!! I cant feel any lumps appart from my glands being constantly up and painful. I also get crohn's disease in my mouth so it could also be related to that. What really interests me with your post is that you say you are having nicotine lozenges and gum and have been for the last 5 years!! I stopped smoking 7 years ago and i became addicted to nicotine gum up to about 18 months ago and it was very difficult to come off it though i am now off it completely. I am also worried about what damage i did when smoking and the lengthy time i was taking nicotine supplements which is why i am so worried about my painful mouth. I am due to see my GP on the 24th aug so i will mention this then as i cant carry on like this!!! My advice to you would be to get this checked out i know its hard look how long it has taken me to admit to it!!

:goodluck2: milly xx :-)
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby masonsbarms » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:32 pm

hi to you both, i know it wont stop you worrying but mouth cancer so i belive is like a ulcer type sore that dosnt go or a lumpy growth type of thing.

it could be down to a bactirial infection or someting like gingervitus (spelling).

and i also bite my cheeks and tongue it is sore for a few days then gose.

when did you last see dentist i know you said you are due to go but i go every six months instead of every year as with all the meds giving me such a dry mouth and with starting to grind my teeth things can change quickly. i hope you both get your worris sorted soon.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:36 pm

Get it checked out see you GP and explain your fears, hopefully you will be taken seriously and tested and whatever the outcome get the treatment you need, worrying about it isnt going to make it go away :-D :-D :-D :-D :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Very sore burning mouth

Postby caterpillar » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:39 pm

Thanks everyone, and especially to Milly, how did you manage to finally crack the nicotine addiction?? It's soooo hard, wish I'd just gone cold turkey all those years ago instead!

I now do have 6 monthly dentist checks due to the fibro causing other problems which have gone away now.
caterpillar
UKFM Member

Postby millymoodoo » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:29 am

Hi caterpillar

I finally managed to quit the nicotine gum by using normal chewing gum every other time!!! It took a long time to come off it altogether but it was worth it!!! Now i am always chewing gum and resting it at the side of my mouth just like the nicotine gum lol!! They dont tell you how addictive these substitutes can be do they? I was so scared when i used my last piece of nicotine gum, i was so scared but i was determined i wasnt going to waste anymore money on it and sure enough that was the last!!! I am not saying i didnt have weak times where i would go to the chemist and just look at it on the shelf but i wasnt prepared to buy it anymore, i couldnt really afford to anyway and i didnt!!! You would be amazed how many people i have come across that have developed an addiction to the replacements and who have found it so hard to stop.It does help to know we are not alone.

I too visit my dentist every 6 months for the same reason, especially during my time as a smoker, i was terrified i would develop cancer of the mouth and still do but the longer we dont have nicotine the better our chances of not getting it!!! I wouldnt thank you for a cigarette or nicotine gum now i really cant stand the smell and i know if someone smokes immediately, if i am in a que i can pinpoint a smoker and it smells disgusting. So well done for stopping smoking just need to drop the replacements now, you dont need them! If you need any help or encouragement please just ask, you have done the hard work by stopping smoking, dont be a slave to the supplements like i was!!!

:goodluck2: :hugs: Milly xx :-)
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Very sore burning mouth

Postby caterpillar » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:33 pm

Quick update, it IS Lichen Planus, and nothing to worry about! Dentist just said my mouth could take years to calm down due to being an ex smoker and all the different meds etc.
caterpillar
UKFM Member

Postby masonsbarms » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:38 pm

hi glad to hear, 1 more tick and 1 less worry.

take carexx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems