speech problem really bad

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby sarahc1976 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:14 am

:( i went and saw my O.T at the hospital on the 13/08/2012 and my speech and brain fog was to what i am going threw now mild i was told too go home that evening and do nothing and for the next day the same as the meeting would have drained me well i do live in a real world and have a child and need to get things done and sorted
I came home to a argument with my teenager who decided too call me a lazy cripple :oops: soo upset me so i took her phone off her what a struggle so much pain and energy that i never had gone then family decided too arrive and not leave till midnight soo hence no rest no :sleep: yesterday i woke up after a hour or so sleep and rung for my blue badge and suddenly noticed i was stammering and having too force words out the day got more and more stressful with my teenager my parents turning up to the point i couldn't speak at all with-out stammering unless i got angry and forced my words out ended up in tears so embarressed as it happened in-front of my parents who just dont understand today my speech is a little better but still stammering iv'e never been so scarred before in my life i even did the arm test too see if it was symptoms of a stroke :yikes:
sorry too off load this on you but i am wondering if any body else has had this happen too them , now i have just had my medication and i am going to try see if i can sleep/rest as it seems the more i rest the better my speech gets????? weird crazy upsetting
thanks for taking the time too read even if you are thinking mad woman x
sarahc1976
UKFM Member

Re: speech problem really bad

Postby denys » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:40 am

Sarah it is a common problem tiredness and upset send us reeling and it can often show itself as really bad fog and an inability to speak clearly rest up and hopefully things will settle down for you. Dont worry you arent mad (or at least no madder than the rest of us :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby masonsbarms » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:46 pm

hi sarha, agree with denys it happend with me if over tired and upset,

horrid i know but i am not surprised with all that had gone on.

hope you feel better soon and your family learn to understand.

take carexx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby isitme » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:51 pm

hi sarah,

hope you are feeling better, i know what its like having teenagers - its like living in a war zone sometimes.

i am laying on bed in agony at the moment but one of the kids wouldn't even do something as simple as shout up to their sibling for me - i,ll have to wait until morning then. :roll: :roll:

fortunately today i am iun a good place mentallly or usuually it can send me over the edge. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

just ignore it i know its hard and get plenty of rest. i just revert back to the tea and chocs when i am upset - works every time and stuff the weight gain. :-D :-D
isitme
UKFM Member

Postby clavadal » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:29 am

Do you ever say the wrong thing? I know in my head what i want to say but my mouth has other ideas. for example i said to my little girl put your plate in the bathroom.....when i obviously meant kitchen! luckily my family are geting used to me talking garbage and can usually get what i really mean lol. i stammer alot too it gets soooo frustrating and in the end i stop talking. anyone have any suggestions as to how to try and speak normally? Jenny xxx
clavadal
UKFM Newbie

Postby SharonL42 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:47 pm

Im always saying the wrong thing. I regularly confuse the oven with the fridge....I pass the milk to my hubbie & say...'can you put that in the oven'...he just stares at me so I end up saying....'oh you know ...the cold one!!'

I think they are getting used to it now.

Sharon X

Keep Smiling :-)
Keep Smiling :)
SharonL42
UKFM Member

Postby kathmoore1 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:11 pm

You are definatly not mad.
My brain fog and speach gets worse when I'm very tired or stresses.
Talk to your doctor about your meds and try and rest as much as you can.
kathmoore1
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:50 pm

Hi
I get my words mixed up or around the wrong way, i forget words as well, i know what i want to say but it wont come out :evil: its so frustrating as i try to explain what the word is i am trying to say :facepalm:

I also have problems explaining things :yikes:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Flash » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:01 pm

Hi, I'm new to this site. I was diagnosed with F.M 7 years ago after suffering for 6 years previously to that. Maybe more if I include the pain and exhaustion I have had since having glandular fever 18 years ago. I also have osteoartritis and under active thyroid.

Over the last few years I have noticed that my speach has got worse. I thought it was just me being a bit thick as that is how I'm made to feel when I can't get the right words out. At first it was forgetting the odd word, usually big words so wasn't too worried. Gradually it came to broken sentences, stunted speach, mixing my words and now, stuttering.

I downplayed it at first, tapping the back of my head, pretending to 'put my teeth back in' or saying, "I'm getting mucking fuddled." Masked it with a joke. Now though, it upsets me, especially when my teenage son makes me out to be stupid. My own sister called me a "f*****g retard!" in the street, infront of my elder son. :nono: It really is no joke!

I can't hold a conversation on the phone sometimes and get anxious if I am asked something out of the blue as I haven't had time to rehearse what I am going to say.

I too, get angry especially during an altercation where I will shout like crazy to make the words come out. It seems to be the only way I can make myself heard.. HEY I'M NOT STUPID!!

Now, my G.P wants me to see another speciallist as he thinks this is in my head. The only pain he aknowledges is the arthritis, everything else is psychological. Fed up...Me?? Oh yes!! :scream-1:
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split into smaller, clearer paragraphs for easier reading.
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby diane1 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:35 pm

Hi folks

I have found that its not just speach its all cognitive things. I forget the name of things,am unable to read things as they dont make sense,cannt understand people when they talk to me its like they are talking in a foreign language and have forgotten things like where I live. I knew how to get there just couldnt recall the address.

I asked my consultant about this when I first saw him privately and found out more about fibro then than at at any NHS appointment, were your herded in and out. He told me that as the body is in so much pain it has to call on reserves to help it cope and those reserves can come in some people fro the cognitive area. So as the pain area pinches bits to help out with the pain the cognitive area looses some which then has a knock on effect with all cognitive areas. This explanation helped me alot and when people have asked me about my problems and I explain it as he told me they understand more as it makes sense. :idea:

I just live in hope that one day my pain might get better and then my cognitive areas should get better.Well we can live in hope and at least we know its not alzheimers. :crazy:
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby MsBabylove11 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:10 pm

clavadal wrote:Do you ever say the wrong thing? I know in my head what i want to say but my mouth has other ideas. for example i said to my little girl put your plate in the bathroom.....when i obviously meant kitchen! luckily my family are geting used to me talking garbage and can usually get what i really mean lol. i stammer alot too it gets soooo frustrating and in the end i stop talking. anyone have any suggestions as to how to try and speak normally? Jenny xxx

I get this a Lot! ESP when I'm stressed out cooking or something and the kids ask me for something only I get the Micky taken out of me!

I've also had the thing when I could not talk, my words just wouldn't come out but it was after being woken suddenly from an afternoon nap and it got better within 15 mins or so!

We all need a holiday! Lol
MsBabylove11
UKFM Member

Postby Flash » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:40 pm

I like dianes explanation, works for me. Like the idea of seeing someone privately too, I suppose you would have to choose wisely though.

Everyone home has got used to the fact that I have changed the names of all everyday objects... Really, it's a great idea! Everything is now a Whatsit, wosname, thingy, Oh you know what I mean!! Now that is the clever one because the people around me have to second guess me and it makes them feel extra clever when they get it right. So, no bad feelings...

My dog knows what I'm saying. If I say it's time for shops, she knows I mean bed and gets in her basket.

Seriously though, it isn't a joke when I stop mid sentence and others either look at me like I've lost the plot or finish the sentence for me. Sometimes I say the wrong word altogether and really do look the idiot.

Ah well, we know what we mean. Now, time for a cup of spud and watch the oven for a while then rip a good book before sleeez..
:cat1:
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby Salgor » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:28 pm

Flash wrote:I like dianes explanation, works for me. Like the idea of seeing someone privately too, I suppose you would have to choose wisely though.

Everyone home has got used to the fact that I have changed the names of all everyday objects... Really, it's a great idea! Everything is now a Whatsit, wosname, thingy, Oh you know what I mean!! Now that is the clever one because the people around me have to second guess me and it makes them feel extra clever when they get it right. So, no bad feelings...

My dog knows what I'm saying. If I say it's time for shops, she knows I mean bed and gets in her basket.

Seriously though, it isn't a joke when I stop mid sentence and others either look at me like I've lost the plot or finish the sentence for me. Sometimes I say the wrong word altogether and really do look the idiot.

Ah well, we know what we mean. Now, time for a cup of spud and watch the oven for a while then rip a good book before sleeez..
:cat1:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Love it Flash

S
Salgor
UKFM Member

Postby shammylady » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:56 am

I had problems at work the other day with my speech, i wasn't well and was having a relapse plus virus, i couldn't speak properly and my words came out childlike! everyone laughed and i just made a joke about it being the virus, im now signed off sick for a while to rest...
Ive noticed before i often go to put the tea caddy in the fridge this happens so many times!! i thought and my family thought i was just dappy!! now im realizing its all part of fibro........................how can you make other people realize it too???
shammylady
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:18 pm

No def not mad , this also happens to me. My family are slowly getting use to me stopping mid sentance and not being able to "find" the word I want.
I find it very frustrating and one of the reasons I can't go back to work just yet as I couldn't cope at the moment in a stressful work environment with my speech , brain the way it is. I can just imagine me at meetings playing the work equivilent of ...."Is it a book.play ,movie etc. Not sure senior management would accept it as very professional !

I also find when I am like this that my typing goes as well so any reports etc would take at least x3 to complete.

take care
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems