Is this fibro or menopause ?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Is this fibro or menopause ?

Postby TATT » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:04 am

Hi Everyone,

I know this subject has been up before but it's always about the sweating. What I get maybe 15 times a day is a sudden huge heat come over me where I have to take off my clothes. If I don't I do start to sweat but minimal. The heat and sweating is all over not just upper body.

In bed I wake to being wet and sometimes soaked. It feels like my body is overheating. I am only 45 so could it be the menapuause ? I had a test last year they said no.

When I am badly fatigued it's getting me down keep stripping off and because I suffer with continuous cold I am battling in between being fiercely hot and freezing cold.

Is this fibro ?

Tatt x
TATT
UKFM Member

Re: Is this fibro or menopause ?

Postby Fine » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:27 am

Afraid it's probably the fibro, menopausal hot sweats are different and seem to rise up from your chest to your head. I am 50 and have been post menopause for last 3 years, I suffered for about 10 years before, but drs tests confirmed it later on, so it can happen young. Now I am either hot or cold, can't keep up with the clothes on and off routine and the hot sweats leave me drenched, they have been worse since I came off the venlafaxine.
Fine
UKFM Newbie

Postby lolabolla » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:56 am

Hi,

In 2004 we lost my dad, he was my hero. In the year that followed I went through the menopause in one fell swoop, hot sweats, foggy brain, periods stopped etc., I used to have a regular 28 day cycle then periods stuttered for about 8 months then GONE :yikes:

At the time I put all these symptoms down to anxiety due to the huge impact of loosing my wonderfull father had on me. I also now believe that this was the start or at least the first bad flare of Fibromyalgia which was only diagnosed in February of this year.

Hope this helps a little,

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby not.giving.in » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:16 pm

This sounds like me! I came to conclusion that it was fibro making the peri-menopause worse. I've been like this on and off for four years, I'm 55. Menopause - cessation of periods - is preceded by chaotic hormones that come in surges and falls, the peri-menopause, and that is what causes the symptoms of "the change". It varies enormously from person to person and can arrive at any age but normally between 46 and 56 I'm told. Blood tests only show menopause, i.e. very low levels of female hormones at the end of female fertility. There isn't a test that shows that you are in the peri-menopause. Like you I'm constantly cold except when I am suddenly much too hot! It wakes me at night and drives me nuts during the day. With the chemicals of the body being awry anyway with fibro the hormone swings create even more body chaos. I tend to wear a cotton T-shirt and put one really thick fleecy layer over it, that way I can get all the clothes off in one piece almost instantly. Not fun but hopefully it will pass for you soon.
Gentle hug,
Jules
not.giving.in
UKFM Member

Postby karen59 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:43 pm

I know exactly how you feel - I am going through the menopause and take hrt which helped with the hot sweats but now they are back thought it was the hrt not working but maybe it is the fibro becuase they are different to the hot sweats I first had at the start of the menopause.............. :oops: :oops:
karen59
UKFM Member

Postby scoke » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:54 pm

I started hot flushes at 45 at about the same time as I started many other fm symptoms. The doc told me I wasn't even peri-menopausal (so tho the test i had was for menopause, she reckoned they could tell perimenopause too from that). Several more tests over the next couple of years had same result and once diagnosed with fm I didn't bother to go about hot flushes again, then I got a few real hot flushes in my early 50s- chest up to head, different to the sweeping up and all over ones I'd been having and had those until just after finally - the menopause at 55. I'm still getting the other ones and my brother who has fm also gets them!
scoke
UKFM Member

Postby TATT » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:13 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Scoke which are worst the fm flush or menopause flush ?
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:24 am

Also many medicatons taken for FM have increased or excessive sweating as one of the side effects. There's also the possiblity of night sweats if your blood sugar goes a bit on the low side during the night. this can happen to anyone with or without FM.

Many possiblities for it. One definite thing is it's blooming awful to live with.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby Citron Shake » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:18 pm

I take Clonidine for hot flushes. I still have some but much fewer.
Citron Shake
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems