Surgical Procedures

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Surgical Procedures

Postby countyfan » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:53 am

Hi everyone,

My problem is that, as I also suffer from osteoarthris as well as Fibro and have a herniated cervical disc, I need to have a spinal discectomy and fusion, which would entail me having a prolonged period of sick leave.
However, during my research on the web, about what this procedure entails, I have come across the fact that having Fibro might affect the success and recovery period (I am only allowed 12 weeks paid sick leave). The consultant knows that I have Fibro and he has not said anything about this. Was just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation. If so I would be grateful if u could share your experiences. I go to see the consultant tomorrow so I need to get all my thoughts straight about this before I see him.

Thanks in advance

Countyfan :-?

PS just realised that I have posted in a similar vein already but as its tomorrow I see the consultant thought I'd leave it in case anyone else could shed more light on things for me. My mind is in total Fibrofog at the moment!
Thanks to those who already replied though
countyfan
UKFM Member

Re: Surgical Procedures

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:47 am

If your surgeon already knows you have FM but is still wanting you to have the op, it could be that they think the benefits from the op could greatly outweigh the downside of FM impacting on your recovery.

If you're still unsure about things you could always contact your surgeon and tell them about your concerns, and see what they have to say :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems