Fibro and polymyalgia

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibro and polymyalgia

Postby oldoak » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:12 pm

I was diagnosed four years ago with fibro, seemed to fit all "criteria", but the past year has been well, torid. I became virtually housebound with pain. Unable to walk or stand, arms and hands that didn't want to work, and a brain that was addled from so much medication. Now they seem to think it could be pmgr, so was given steroids, and lo and behold within ONE day I was up and about , even went shopping, fab. Is it possible for fribro to become pmg? Also daughter has fibro symptoms but as usual been told it's all in her head and she's too young (40). Told her "rubbish you fight girl". Could fibro be hereditary? Sorry for all the thick questions, brain still to come round. :crazy:
oldoak
UKFM Newbie

Re: Fibro and polymyalgia

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:34 pm

The thing with FM is that an awful lot of research is still needed to explore and definitively say that its cause and effects are definitely down to particular things. Until the research is carried out, the best we can do is share our experiences and see what sort of things come up as potential causes and effects.

I don't know if it is possible for FM to become or turn into another condition, but it does seem able to mimic/present itself as something else. This happened to me for the first 3 years(ish) which lead to be being treated for Meniere's Disease as that was what it looked like. It was only after other things started to appear, plus I didn't respond to the meds and treatments and tests in the way I was expected to do. So what you're experiencing could be due to FM looking like it could be another condition.

There is quite a lot of evidence to suggest that FM could be hereditary as well. There are people on here with parents and other close relatives that also have FM. Again, it's another possibility that needs exploring to see if this could true.

And you're right about your daughter, she must keep fighting on. Being 40 isn't too young to develop FM, my symptoms started when I was 30 :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Please don't think that you're asking "thick questions", if you want to know about something, it's always better to ask about it rather than wondering about it. There are subjects that pop up on here quite often, which can be quite useful to hear about things again. If you were to start a new topic on an older subject, we could probably direct you to them so you have an idea about what had been said previously.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby masonsbarms » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:47 pm

hi im not hundred % sure but i thought polymialgia showed on a blood test,

hope they find out for you and your daughter.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby SharonL42 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:42 pm

My GP diagnosed Fibro a month ago but when she got my blood results ladt week my ESR (which is an indicator for inflammation within the body) was high so she called me in. She said the high ESR meant it could be pmgr & asked me to try steroids too. She said I was young to get it but it was worth a try as if it was I would feel miraculously better within 2 days.

No such luck I'm afraid....if anything the steroids made things worse cos I had been quite well but after 2 days my arms & legs were aching like mad again & I had the worst migraine in years thus weekend.

Back to docs on Tuesday to see what's next!

Sharon

Keep Smiling :-)
Keep Smiling :)
SharonL42
UKFM Member

Postby busy mummy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:33 pm

Well how bizzarre,

When I told my family that I had fibro, my paternal grandmother told me that she, her sister and her niece all had polymyalgia.

I asked about it at the GP (practice nurse) and she told me that there was definitely no connection between the two and that fibro wasnt hireditary.

I was a bit sceptical about her reply as there is so little known about fibro, but I never gave it another thought, until I read this post.

Now I get to thinking, maybe there is a connection.

Sarah x
busy mummy
UKFM Member

Fibro and polymyalgia

Postby rachel285 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:36 pm

It's very strange that this topic should come up, as I have FM, and my mum has just been diagnosed with PR. it sort of crossed my mind that there might be a link, but there seems to be more than just coincidence going on here. Does anyone know of any research on this, or whether steroids can work for FM?
rachel285
UKFM Newbie

Postby SharonL42 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:09 pm

My GP told me the steroids wouldn't work for Fibro but would have a remarkable effect if it was Polymyalgia.

Sharon X

Keep Smiling :-)
Keep Smiling :)
SharonL42
UKFM Member

Postby oldoak » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:50 am

Many thanks for all your replies, its been a bit of a pussler for sometime but I think we all seem to agree ther MUST be some connection with heredity etc. In answer to one of the messages, I did have blood tests but they came back all clear, apparently it is common for it to show a false negative, that just makes things more complicted for diagnosis. But so far steroids are working now cutting down slowly to minimum. Going to help my daughter fight to get the help she needs, don't like the idea of her being fobbed off as I was for years.
Thanks again for your support. :-D
oldoak
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems