Lyme disease

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Lyme disease

Postby blueeyes64 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:14 pm

My 12 year old son has been having vague health symptoms for some years now, headaches, dysphagia leading to vomiting, joint aches and pains (hips, knees, ankles ) and joint instability, low blood sugar symptoms ( shaky, starving, dizzy ), food / drug allergies, pollen/dust/pet allergies, rhinitis, low moods/anxiety/ lack of confidence, tummy aches, lethargy, short of breath, palpitations and more.

A lady I know from the US mentioned to me that she had been diagnosed with FM some years ago and her two kids also had similar joint and health problems and the girl was diagnosed with EoE (Eosonophilic osophogitis ) a swallowingn/ allergy related disease.
She has just found out after seeing many Drs that she has Lyme disease and passed it onto her kids via the pregnancy.

This is passed on through ticks which burrow into the skin, some carry Lyme disease.A couple of years ago my son came to me saying mum what's this ? Imlooked and it was a tiny insect half sticking out of his skin ! My husband looked and said take him to the Drs because if you don't get the head out it will stay inside.

So I did.The Dr confirmed it was in fact a tick, he probably got it from playing in the long grass.The Dr got some tweezers and carefully got the tick out.I don't remember much else, but now wonder if this is what caused all the sympoms we are now seeing ?
Lyme disease can lay dormant in someone for years before symptoms become apparent.

My son has been feeling tired lately, even fell asleep at school last week so the Dr did some blood tests.He is anaemic and so the Dr wants to look into why.He asked if there was anything else he needed to know and so I mentioned about the tick and possibility of Lyme disease.
the symptoms are very similar to FM
http://www.fibromyalgia-symptoms.org/fi ... _lyme.html

And the UK site about Lyme disease

http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/abo ... diagnosis/
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made paragraphs clearer for easier reading.
blueeyes64
UKFM Member

Re: Lyme disease

Postby TeeferTiger » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:32 pm

A simple blood test will confirm it.
TeeferTiger
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:42 pm

You've done the right thing in taking your son to see your GP and telling them about the tick. Hopefully the tests he's having/had will show something up that will help explain what is causing his various symptoms and problems :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:21 pm

:fingerscrossed: they get him sorted quickly :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby zappa20 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:40 am

Hopefully the tick your son had wasn't the type which carry Lyme disease. Think it's the ones that tend to live off deer which can carry it. Common ones in UK live mainly on sheep , and don't carry it , but can still cause local infection if left long enough.

Nasty wee things I hate them. They hang out upright on blades of grass just in the right postion to tranfer onto their unsuspecting victims . eg Our dogs!! Always coming back with them as we live in the countryside, and I hate pulling them out.

You definitley did the right thing mentioning it. Being anaemic can be exhausting in itself especially for an active youngster, as red blood cells transport oxygen around and if he's a bit low in them his body is having to work harder to achieve less. They'll soon get to the bottom of it, and get him back to his normal self.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby blueeyes64 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:31 pm

Unfortunately it is not the case of just havng tests done as they are negative in many cases even if someone has the disease.If you do the test in the first two weeks after a tick bite there is more chance of a correct result.And the disease can even lay dormant for as much as 20 years before any symptoms start to show after the initial flu like reaction early on, and some dont even get that either. Its becoming more apparent that there are many more ticks which carry Lyme disease in the UK including those that live on sheep and pheasants.The problem is a lot of people get bitten and never know about it as the ticks can be as small as a pin head.
Anyway, I think it was worth mentioning to the Dr.
blueeyes64
UKFM Member

Postby blueeyes64 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:35 pm

Here's the bit about ticks In UK

What are ticks?

Ticks are small, blood-sucking arthropods related to spiders, mites and scorpions. There are many different species of tick living in Britain, each preferring to feed on the blood of different animal hosts. If given the opportunity, some of them will feed on human blood too.

There are four stages of the life-cycle: egg, larva, nymph, and adult.

To the naked eye the larvae (with 6 legs) look like specks of soot, while nymphs are slightly larger, pinhead or poppy seed size. With their eight legs, nymphs and adult ticks resemble small spiders. It is the pinhead size nymph which is most likely to bite you.

Once a tick has started to feed, its body will become filled with blood. Adult females can swell to many times their original size. As their blood sacs fill they generally become lighter in colour and can reach the size of a small pea, generally grey in colour. Larvae, nymphs and adult males do not swell so much as they feed. If undisturbed, a tick will feed for around 5 to 7 days before letting go and dropping off.

There are several species of tick in the UK, but the one most likely to bite humans is the sheep tick, Ixodes ricinus. Despite its name, the sheep tick will feed from a wide variety of mammals and birds. The tick bite itself is usually painless and most people will only know they have been bitten if they happen to see a feeding tick attached to them.

See our detailed leaflet on ticks (PDF 223KB)

The Health Protection Agency website has some useful pages on ticks including a video and details of their tick recording scheme.

What diseases do ticks carry?

Three of the diseases that can be caught from a tick bite in Britain are

Lyme borreliosis [bore-EL-ee-OH-sis]
Babesiosis [bab-EE-see-OH-sis]
Ehrlichiosis [air-LICK-ee-OH-sis]
Globally, the list of diseases is much longer.

Some ticks carry all three of the above diseases at the same time and can transfer them to you in a single bite. The resulting symptoms can be extremely confusing and liable to misdiagnosis. Treatment in such cases can be difficult.

See our leaflet on these diseases (PDF 255KB)

How big are they?

The tick that generally bites humans (the nymph stage) can be as small as a poppy seed or full stop on this page.

Small children are generally bitten above the waist—check their hairline and scalp.

blueeyes64
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems