Constipation (sorry!)

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Constipation (sorry!)

Postby Laus2002 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:07 pm

Hello everyone,
I wondered if you could help me, I know constipation is a normal part of FM and the pain medication we usually take doesn't help the situation. However sometimes it's just ridiculous, I haven't been to the toilet in well over a week and I am getting pretty desperate! What I don't understand is I have upped my routine to include 2 movicol drinks, 1 fibre gel drink, 6 x 5ml spoonfuls of laxatives and plenty of fruit, veg and salad, for example 1 banana, , 1 peach, a nectarine and half a melon- and this is daily! How am I still not going to the bloody toilet?!! I feel very bloated at the moment and as I'm trying to lose weight, I'm finding the whole thing even more frustrating than usual! Does anyone have any tips or suggestions please?

Thank you

Laura xx
Laus2002
UKFM Member

Re: Constipation (sorry!)

Postby denys » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:39 pm

Try a hot bath Laura that sometimes helps and see your GP you may be overdoing it on some of the fruit and laxatives, you wouldnt want an accident while out that will cause a wibble :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

But seriously you may need an enema or suppository to soften the first bit (if you know what I mean) and putting everything on top as you are may make you poorly :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Not to put too fine a point on it I hope you get some relief soon :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby masonsbarms » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:35 pm

hi laura, i agree with denys, see gp dont leave it you could end up compacted like my father did not nice and very painful.

hope you feel better soon .

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:13 pm

I was wondering if too much of the stuff to make you go is having the opposite effect as well??? I happens to me periodically. The best way I've found to deal with it is to ease right back with the fruities, veggies and whole grain stuff and just stick to really simple, plain nublets of things to eat. It seems to help things relax and move a little more easily. I'd also consider seeing your GP, just to be sure there isn't anything else at work.

Hope you can get things feeling a little more comfortable and regular soon :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Jojostar » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:50 am

Hi laus,I'm the same dr gave me sodium picsolate to help me go,but Sumtimes it's over a week before I do.ive found taking magnesium tablets has really helped,hope u get some relief soon xxx
Jojostar
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:44 am

Also been given the sodium picsolate (non perscription med)..works by drawing water into your bowel to rehydrate any blockage and also causes the natural ripple movement of your bowel to ease the rehydrated material down the system. If you have stuff in your system too long it goes into hard pellets and no amount of additional fibre will shift it!

If things return to normal for you, in future keep an eye on how long between trips to the loo and if necessary discuss with GP, it may mean that you need additional help such as laxatives or enemas but don't panic there are plenty of differnet meds out there , some you may need to take every day for a while, just to make sure everything is doing what it is meant to .

Most likely with all our pain meds its just another side effect but like any change in bowel movement if it is not the norm and persists for 2-3 weeks you should chat it over with a GP .......just to rule out anything else.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Constipation (sorry!)

Postby kathmoore1 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:24 pm

Hi. I'm surprised, but I get the opposite problem! I put it down to one of the medications I'm on buy not sure now as we're all on similar med!?
kathmoore1
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:40 pm

Can be either way Kath :-D :-D
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby sknowles456 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:48 pm

i used to suffer terribly with constipation but i discovered sodium picosulphate or as its known over the counter as Dulcolax. 10mls is enough each night. Suzy
sknowles456
UKFM Member

Postby pixiecat » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:32 pm

I am taking or I should say am prescribed 2 kinds of laxative to take every day, but I find if I take them regularly over say a 3 week period then by the 3rd week I am more constipated than when I first started so I now play around a little, which my GP accepts
and I kind of have a week on week off system but I judge it by how I am or not going to the loo and how bad the constipation is.
I eat plenty of fruit and veg a day, eat a high fibre cereal take 1 movecol every day (more if needed) and have a fibre powder that
i sprinkle on my cereal too. I used to have senna too but that did nothing.

So after you have spoken to your GP maybe you can find a system that works that you both agree to.

Good luck
Lorraine
pixiecat

Postby giselle cronin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:00 pm

I know this sounds simple and it is, just go back to good old prunes. In the past I have had problems with constipation not being able to go for over 10 days and then bleeding and getting real problems.

Now every night I eat 6-8 ready to eat stoned prunes, they taste quite nice and sweet and they really do the job for me, they cant do you any harm so give them a go, the relief is great at least one of fibro sufferers many problems sorted.
giselle cronin
UKFM Newbie

Postby winsomewinnie » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:49 pm

Hi guys i have suffered with constipation for about ten years and have had various test to check everythings ok to te told i have slow colon transit and been prescribed many different laxative so worked for a short time and others didn't so was referred to incontinace nurse where she has done everything can for me and rather than going straight in invasive procedures she got me to see a different consultant about it to look in to trying a new drug on the market but before you can go on this drug you need to have been on two different laxatives. then the other thing is it only for women and can only be prescide to women and only by a consultant this new wonder drug is prucalapride i have only been on for a week and the difference is amazing i would reccomend anybody try it. it has change my life with regards to constipation I hope this helps someone
winsomewinnie
UKFM Member

Postby millymoodoo » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:31 pm

:-) Hi

It may not work for everyone but my sister gets really badly constipated and eats sugar free sweets in excess and she soon opens her bowels. I told her to try this as i am diabetic and i only need to eat 1 sweet and i am running to the loo but i also have crohn's disease which doesnt help lol!!! My sister gets immediate relief if she eats a full packet of the sula sweets one after the other when things are really bad its worth it, but if she has only missed a couple of days then 4/5 sweets does the trick!!!!! Now she has always got some in her bag as they work well. Since you have gone so long it would really be worth you taking medical advice as already suggested. Some members may think it strange but i would give anything not to have constant dirrhoea, its awful especially if i want to go out and have many accidents so i have to take a change of clothing with me whenever i go out and nearly always have to use them. It makes it so hard to plan any outings. Once you get going again it might help you to try the sula sugar free sweet thing!!!!

Hope you get some relief very soon before you pop!!!
Take care
Milly xxx
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby lolabolla » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:53 pm

Oh Milly I can so empathise with you re loose bowels :oops:

I don't venture far now because of 'accidents'

The sugar free sweet suggestion is spot on though.

I found it increasingly difficult to control the 'problems' that I had when using sugar free chewing gum :yikes:

I would recommend using sugar free products to anyone suffering with constipation.

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:23 pm

Hi
I have crohns & ibs and can go from diarrhea to constipation. Lactulose to very good to use for constipation, it will soften your bowels making it easier to go, its sugar free as well. Its best to take some every couple of days if you are prone to it, duloclax pearl balls are also good, they are tiny balls so you can work out how many you need to take to open your bowels.

Its the medication that can cause the constipation.

On my diarrhea days i dont go out the house unless its an emergency, then i would have to take anti diarrhea pills but they dont always work. :oops:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems