thyroid

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby Lazykat » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:59 pm

Im in the west mids too .. wolverhampton .. how about you
With Love
Lazykat
UKFM Member

Postby somebody_else » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:17 am

On the Malvern Hills, Worcester ish.

:)
Hashimotos, CFS, FMS, PTSD, Anxiety. Gosh, I have more letters than the doctors who diagnosed me!
somebody_else
UKFM Member

Postby Old Bird » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:09 pm

Hiya....my first posting....so here goes..... :D

The thyroid......

The thyroid sits quietly in the base of your neck, running the body....every cell of the body......and is never given a second thought......till it goes wrong.

There is the UNDERACTIVE thyroid, (Hypo) which is controlled by Thyroxine....there is the AUTOIMUNE UNDERACTIVE (Hypo)which is called HASHIMOTO'S DISEASE, and that one is a devil to treat.....and there's the OVERACTIVE, called HYPERactive.

BLOOD RESULTS.....
The medical profession has a magic phrase for the thyroid blood test results.....within range!! They will tell you you are ok cos you are 'within range'. I'll explain what the range is......

T4 T4 is your body's own thyroxine. It is what the thyroid produces and it goes round to every cell in the body. Without it, nothing works properly, from the brain....bieng forgetful....to weight gain cos the metabolism doesn't work. T4 is replaced with Levothyroxine or some other such synthetic.

T3 T3 is in your body and is a natural convertor of the T4 (thyroxine)

TSH Thyroid Stimulating Hormone. This baby comes from the pituatury gland, and controls how much thyroxine your thyroid releases.

The range of thyroxine T4 is from 10......to......25

If you have a low reading of T4, then you will feel ill. Most research has found that you need to be nearer the top of the range to feel well.

TSH....the range is between 0.2.....and .....5.0

American doctors have lowered the range to 0.2 to 3....cos they say that if you are at 3 or above, then you will feel ill.

There is a huge list of symptoms......overheating, aches and pains all over.....the loss of the outer part of the eyebrow......brain fog......no energy......chest pain......breathlessness.......wieght gain....etc etc....

By far the best to do is to ask your GP what the figures are on your blood tests. If you get the figures and post them up here, I could advise you if you are hypo or not.

I was diagnosed 2 yrs ago with Hashimotos......autoimmune hypo. I'm now on 100mcg of thyroxine and still feel like crap. Now I'm told I have Fybromyalgia, and am on my first week of Amitriptyline....a wonderful experience....

If any of you need to know more about the thyroid, then, if the site admin agree, I could put a link up for a really good thyroid support group. Just don't acept the phrase....'within range'....

Oh...fogot to say....my name is Angie, and I'm new on here......so hello everyone.....

Ang x :D :D
Old Bird
UKFM Newbie

Postby pauline » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:08 pm

:D Hi Ang many thanks for the info on thyroid problems. Welcome to the site. As you say there is medication for the problem but people think as soon as you start to take it you are immediately cured. wrongggggggg!! I take my medication daily, the weight isn't falling off me, my skin isn't back to anywhere near soft, my brain is still fuzzy, but I must admit to feeling a little less lethargic and hate to think of the consequences had I not stook to my guns and queeried the 'borderline' results that my blood tests kept coming back as. ................pauline
pauline
UKFM Member

Postby Old Bird » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:10 pm

A few weeks fter starting on thyroxine, I had blood tests done again, and my GP said 'I was fine' and 'withing range'. I asked what the actual figures were....which they have to tell you if you ask......and my T4 was 12. That is only 2 away from the bottom of the range, and 12 away from the top of the range.

After going silly at the GP for a wekk or so, cos I still felt awful, he put the meds up again. The new results came in at T4 18. Again he said 'I was fine' 'within range'.

We ended up having quite a discussion on how on earth I could be fine at 12 and again fine at 18, when there was a 50mcg tablet between the two.

Ideally, one would be able to find out, if they had ever had a thyroid blood test when they felt well, what the results/figures were at that time. Then, if ever they felt ill and it was the thyroid, the GP would know what figure to aim for.

Someone like Kylie Minogue would no doubt feel ok at maybe 15 or 16...being a small person. But someone like me....6ft....with bigger muscles would need a lot more to feel well. it stands to reason, the bigger you are, the more you need.

Ang x
Old Bird
UKFM Newbie

Postby pauline » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:53 am

:) My doctor is excellent. When I visit he types out everthing I say and what he has advised me to do whilst I am still in the room with him. That way I know what his thoughts are and what has been written about me in my notes. Whilst looking through some of my test results you could see a pattern emerging way back to when I had a car accident in 1993. My inflammation levels from each blood test have gradually risen over the years. My blood test results are all over the place, thyroid, sugar etc.
I do sometimes feel sorry for my GP as I present with symptoms that show nothing when tested for but months later show clearly on repeated tests. He can't treat me untill the tests show I have the condition, I just have to suffer before they do...............pauline
pauline
UKFM Member

Postby lynnec » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:07 pm

Hi All

I've not posted for a while as I've had quite a good few months. I'm currently taking 100mg of Thyroxine (since Dec 06) but have started to feel lousy again, so tired I can't get out of bed, pins and needles to hands and feet, achy. cold sweats, frontal headache with sore eyes...

My bloods last week came back as TSH 0.08, T4 15.8 and T3 504. Can anyone tell me if this sounds normal? I've tried to talk to my consultant's office but no one has got back to me yet.

Has anyone had bladder problems with fibro? I have to go for Urodynamic testing in a couple of weeks and wonder if there is a connection?

Best wishes
Lynne x
Lots of Love
Lynne
lynnec
UKFM Member

Postby Min » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:58 pm

Oh yes, lots of us with fibro have interstitial cystitis &/or overactive bladder. I have really bad IC & have had urodynamics testing, a bladder stretch (never again!) & biopsy. However, there's also a link between bladder problems and thyroid problems.

You might like the COB message board, there's several of us here with fibro:

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/cobf
Min
UKFM Member

Postby lynnec » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:32 am

Thanks for your reply Min, I will read your recommendations with interest.

Lynne
Lots of Love
Lynne
lynnec
UKFM Member

Postby pauline » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:23 pm

I have to see a consultant at the end of the month re stomach swelling and pain around my kidneys, No problems have shown on the scans that I have had taken. There is one thing that annoys me though. Each time I go to the hospital I take an updated prescription sheet with me which clearly shows the medication that I take on a regular basis. At the beginning of the consultation they go through the sheet with me. One of the tablets I take each day is a dueretic. They then proceed to ask questions about the problems your having. Each and every time they ask me if I have noticed that I visit the toilet often. Each time I point out to them that I take a dueretic and so visit the toilet on a more frequent basis anyway so what do they call often. Once and hour, once every five minutes. To date I have not received a simple answer to this simple question, they simply skip repeating the question. I was initially given the tablets to alleviate swelling in my ankles and fingers caused by high blood pressure. At my last two visits to the hospital and GP my high blood pressure has turned to low blood pressure and my blood pressure tablets have been reduced. If they reduce my dueretic I am concerned that I once again won't be able to even fit into my shoes let alone walk, I will just have to wait and see............pauline
pauline
UKFM Member

Postby Min » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:54 pm

That sounds a nightmare. Hope you can get some sense out of somebody soon.
Min
UKFM Member

Postby lynnec » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:04 pm

Following on from my post about my thyroid results - I've logged two phone calls with my consultant (I see him privately, he doesn't have a secretary and does all his own admin) but he still hasn't replied. I called my gp about the results and he phoned back to say 'all absolutely fine'. I told him I was feeling awful and his words were 'can't be your thyroid then'.

My symptoms are now getting worse. The cold sweats hit me throughout the day. When they come I feel faint and the ground seems to rise up towards me. I take my temperature every morning before I get out of bed and it is generally a degree or so low. Also my eyes are sore and blurry and the frontal headache is persisting plus I'm quite shaky and can't get my words out properly!

Do you think this could 'just' be fibro? My gp kind of shrugs fibro off.
Lots of Love
Lynne
lynnec
UKFM Member

Postby jakerleen » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:24 pm

ok I know I posted a couple of minutes ago but I think cyberspace might have nicked it!

I put 3 stones on in a year and my thyroid showed up normal, then suddenly it showed really minimally on the scale, now I'm on 100mg of levothyroxine. It doesn;t always show in the beginning, often a lot later before it's positive.

this was before I was dx with fibro. My doc tried to tell me there was nothing else wrong except thyroid. We had a new GP who sent me to rheumatology and after 2 visits said I had fibro as well as lupus and HMS.

*west midlander here too*

Jakcie x
jakerleen
UKFM Member

Postby juliet » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:31 pm

hey where abouts are you jackie?

I'm at uni in swansea but home is just north of stratford upon avon!
Gentle hugs
juliet
UKFM Member

Postby jakerleen » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:21 pm

Hi juliet

I'm in Stourbridge now, but originally a "Chelmsley Wood" girl. Stratford wasn't too far from us and I've spent many a happy hour there.

What are you studying at uni?

Jackie xxx
jakerleen
UKFM Member

PreviousNext

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems