thyroid

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby juliet » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:49 pm

materials engineering, i really enjoy it, and i love swansea such a beautiful part of the world!
but round stratford isnt bad too!!

how is everyone feeling at the mo?

gentle hugs to all xxxxxxxxxxxxx
juliet
UKFM Member

Postby Joo » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:04 pm

:? Hi everyone, I'm reviving this old thread 'cos I want to find out if anyone knows anything about the Iodine connection to thyroid probs. I don't have raised or lowered thyroid levels but I do have a multinodular goitre and find that it swells uncomfortably each day usually after chatting for too long!!! :lol: I have been a veggie for about twelve years and haven't been my own best friend in taking care of my health so I wondered if my 'Derbyshire Neck' has anything to do with lack of iodine?

Cheers all, Joo x
Smile - you might as well and it makes better looking wrinkles!!!
Joo
UKFM Member

Postby pauline » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:24 pm

:( Hi Joo I do have an underactive thyroid and can just about cope with the info on that. As I understand it your goitre is one in which nodules have developed in your thyroid gland through lack of iodine. I do not fully understand it's cause or treatment I'm afraid to say but I am sure that your GP should have some info on the subject and I am sure that the internet will provide you with more helpful info. Sorry can't be of any further help............pauline
pauline
UKFM Member

Postby Joo » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:10 am

Hi Pauline, thanks for the reply. Yup, iodiene is one of those natural minerals needed by our bodies that has been lost since governments started messing about with our food and the planet in general!!! I know that the Himalayas and the Andes are fairly deplete of iodide (?) due to the amount of snow and rainfall(?) and that some governments include it in the (having a lot of fibro moments here!!) water/salt? because of the thyroid problems appearing in their country. Iodide is part of the earths crust and too much rainfall washes it away and apparently Derbyshire is very short of iodiene due to this (?) Don't quote me on any of these details I've typed as I'm trying to remember something I read a few weeks ago!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I will ask my doc tho as the endochronologist who first told me about it was - how can I say it politely? - a pratt!! Horrible little man actually!!

And on that note I shall say g'night!! :lol:
Smile - you might as well and it makes better looking wrinkles!!!
Joo
UKFM Member

Postby pauline » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:15 am

:D Hi Joo, sounds as though you have already done your homework. Loved the ending of your posting about smiling making wrinkles look good. A very wise woman once told me that a lady with laughter lines was a lady with experience of life. Very deep. could have a number of meanings !!!!..................pauline
pauline
UKFM Member

Postby Kristine » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:32 pm

Hiya, I'm interested in this iodine subject, I have just started supplementing with lugols iodine twice a week, it's been 2 weeks now and my body temp is almost normal already, and has been normal once yesterday and I seem to have more energy too!! All good stuff. I joined a yahoo group for the information and also found a lot of info to read, if you want I can copy and paste this to save you looking for it. I've just done my temp while sitting here and its 37.2, perfect.

Kristine
Kristine
UKFM Member

Postby pauline » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:48 pm

Just had my bloods done again and waiting to hear if I need to increase/decrease my thyroid medication. Kristine did anything come of the iodine suppliments? You might have posted something on another part of the site but my fibro fog is interfering with my concentration at the moment and I can't seem to find anything. Or has anyone else something to add on this subject..............pauline
pauline
UKFM Member

Postby kristine2 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:27 am

Hi Pauline,

I just managed to get a new password for this forum, been locked out for ages.

I am taking the lugol's everyday now and feeling better for it, temps are near normal and I am losing some weight :) I did have a rotten time over Xmas though, had that awful virus thing, not the norovirus, but the one where you lose your sense of smell/taste, cough, cold, feel generally like sh*te and it's lasted for about 6 weeks, many people I know came down with it, strangest thing I have ever had!

Let us know about your tests Pauline,

Kristine
kristine2
UKFM Newbie

Postby pauline » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:45 pm

:D Thanks Kristine, nice to hear from you again. I'm sorry you had such a rough time over christmas. Just don't breathe on anyone around here don't think i could cope with that particular virus at the moment, it sounds evil. I go for my results Monday, will keep you posted......Pauline
pauline
UKFM Member

Postby jess » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:15 pm

i was told i had fms last oct
arthritis in my knee in jan
and i was sent for by the doc ( i had bloods done last week ) to be
told i now have Mild Hypothryoidism
im falling apart lol
at lease i know now why the diet's not working
jess
UKFM Member

Postby pauline » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:58 am

:( Hi Jess, why does bad news always seem to come in 3's. Why never good new's in 3's?. You are having a rough time at the moment, lets hope that's the last bad news you will here. :? Please don't mention diets to me. Can anyone tell me why I can diet for 7 weeks and loose up to
7 lbs but then one night out, one curry and a few alcoholic drinks and 5lb will rush back to my hips straight away, is it really worth all the effort?..................Pauline :lol:
pauline
UKFM Member

thoriod &diet

Postby cassi-opi » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:00 pm

Hi pauline everybody
i have put on 3 stones i have fibro but my doctor says my thirod is ok well i can lose a few pounds but every diet i try justs stops working at the moment i have cut out dairy,wheat,potatoes,and coffee,i eat soya,plenty of fruit and veg i have one slice of spelt bread per day i dont know what to do to lose weight i have been on this diet for 6 weeks with very little change also by about 4 o clocki get a feeling of sickness come over me in my throat so by tea time i dont feel like eating anything I AM SO FEDUP WITH BEING OVER WEIGHT can someone please give me some advice
cassi-opi
UKFM Member

Postby tina » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:34 pm

hi all, had FMS for years also taken pills for years. I never believed in multiple meds b4 fibro ( had the impression that one would contradict the other) but with fibro finally being recognised as a "new" illness 10 yrs or so ago i went along with GP/Rheumy as to what was best. BIG MISTAKE!! so decided pain and fatigue with a load of side affects from drugs or just pain and fatigue. Not right for everyone i know but at least i would know exactly what was FM symptoms. last 9 mths have stopped meds 1 by 1 and now just take painkillers and my oesteoporosis meds. have lost lots of weight so have become more mobile so fitter and its a snowball effect as my mind not so fuzzy, more mobile so less aching, mood has increased and overall wellbeing good. Its been hard over the winter but i am a firm believer that you can get better if you work at it mentally. Don't get me wrong still have bad days often but when i have good days they really are much better than they used to be. Pills are not the only answer.

take care tina
if the sun ain't smiling give it a help in hand!!!!
tina
UKFM Member

Underactive Thyroid /Fibromyalgia

Postby Chris W » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:10 pm

I have had both conditions for about ten years and am on thyroxine. I agree it is hard to know what symptoms belong to which but I would guess that if you are on thyroxine and the dose is correct then you should not have too many side effects from your thyroid. I have heard that Sea Kelp is very good for those that don't take thyroxine.
Chris W
Chris W
UKFM Member

thyroid

Postby princess » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:18 pm

Interesting my Dr has just suggested doing my bloods again as two of them came back slightly elevated.
Liver and Thyroid.
Will let you know when he gets the results of my bloods.
Thanks for the info.
princess
UKFM Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems