Eating and Fibromyalgia

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Eating and Fibromyalgia

Postby zakibear » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:32 am

I am interested in learning more about how fibro effects different peoples eating??

I have NO appetite at all, left to myself im not sure i would eat AT ALL.

I seem to accept fluids fine and will find myself thirsty, but i have to force myself to eat anything.

some days are easier than others, as with most fibro problems.

My family tell me i am a wonderful cook when i can manage to cook for them so its not that i cant fix my own food, i just cant face it when/if i do.

I would be interested to find out is this the same, opposite or how this differs in others.
zakibear
UKFM Newbie

Re: Eating and Fibromyalgia

Postby maxtomads » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:57 am

Hi zakibear. I'm like you. I could live on a liquid diet - solid food exhausts me. I tend to go all day with drinks then have a meal at night when it's put in front of me. If him indoors isn't here I don't eat, not because I can't be bothered, I just don't want to. Seems every quirk can be attributed to fibro!!

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
maxtomads
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:26 am

Im living off cereal lately. No energy to shop let alone cook and my mind is so blank with fatigue i cant even think of what to buy thats cheap and easy/quick to cook and healthy so i end up buying boxes of cereal.

Looking round a shop makes my head :crazy: with all the different brands/prices so i opt for simple things as confusion sends me mad :crazy:

and if no one cooks for me its all i eat. Sadly doesnt effect any weight loss as i dont burn any calories being housebound alot. :roll:

Also i have swollowing problems and i find chewing aches my jaw :roll: and soon as a meal hits my stomach i bloat out and feel ill so im best off having small bowls of cereal anyways....
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby blueeyes64 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:06 pm

I still eat just fine but do have swallowing problems from time to time.I cough and splutter a lot when eating with foods and liquids, and sometimes I get that stuck food feeling lower down in my chest, and just drink to get it down.My son has a similar problem and has since he was small, but he ends up having to vomit the stuck food up and gets severe chest pain at times with it.He is currently waiting to see a Gastroentirologist again.Saw one a few years ago and she had him go through a barium study which showed nothing abnormal, not even relux.S he may be having an endoscopy and biopsies to check for something called Eosinophilic (EE- o- sin- o - philic) osophogitis.Its a disease asscociated with white blood cells (eosonophils) attaching themselves to areas where they shouldn't be like the osophogus and causes inflammation and Sometimes white plaques and furrows.He takes Omeprezole which helps some.
blueeyes64
UKFM Member

Eating and Fibromyalgia

Postby toplessbug » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:08 am

I'm the same to. I seem to live on drinks and maybe a sandwich.
My other half is not home till late mon to wed. So I tend not to cook at all.
Thurs and fri I cook mainly for him as I don't feel like it after I've cooked it.
The only time I eat properly is sat and Sunday as he cooks then and he gets annoyed at me for not eating.

I also have the swallowing problems.
It's as if my throat just isn't big enough to cope with the food.
But I also have acute asthma and a permanent blocked nose so I have to Not breath while I'm eating then when I do breath I tend to forget and food goes down the wrong shoot.
So I end up having a coughing fit.

Sent from my iPhone using the force :-)
toplessbug
UKFM Member

Postby isitme » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:08 am

i live on rice crackers now until evening when someone has cooked a meal.

have had ibs problems of bloating since fibro and codeine constipations, but now worse so i get burning stomach pain at time.
have had to cut out lactose/gluten and now cant tolerate at all even in small quantities no fun.
i was also given omer......tablets.
:-)
isitme
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:16 pm

Oh my Goodness Blue Eyes ....I also have problems with eating, there are some foods that always seem to get "stuck" or there are times when I could be just drinking a cup of tea and I go into a coughing spasm /fit,because something seems to have gone "the wrong way" so much that the tea sprays all around me. I have had it for years and just thought it was one of my little quirks!

I can't wait to tell my OH that there may be a reason for it ....he will not belive that there are others with my difficulty. he was convinced it was unique to me and keeps me going about not having learnt to eat properly!
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems