Leg in cast, loads of pain, any tips?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Leg in cast, loads of pain, any tips?

Postby juejue » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:17 am

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all coping with the rubbish weather!

I am looking for some advice please :-D I had an op on my ankle 4 weeks ago and was non weight bearing for 2 weeks which I thought would be the worse of it. I now have a below the knee cast on, and can weight bear with crutches. It was ok for a week or so but is now hell! It's not too bad when elevated, painful but cope- able, but whenever I put it down, it's awful, I get really bad cramp and throbbing pains in it. I wondered if anyone had been in a cast and had any tips as I can't stretch it to get rid of the cramp, or put heat on it. Painkillers not doing much, any advice welcome.

Cheers
Julia :yikes:
juejue
UKFM Member

Re: Leg in cast, loads of pain, any tips?

Postby millymoodoo » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:20 am

Hi Julia

I was in cast last year after breaking my arm and had to have surgery on it, i had similar problems and it turned out to be an infection and my cast got very tight and uncomfortable, like you i had cramp. Please get it checked out as it sounds very similar the only difference was mine was my arm, it could be aggravating it with you weight bearing on it and causing more swelling. I dont want to scare you but Please, please either see your gp or go to A&E especially as it was ok for the first week and now you are getting throbbing and the cramps. Being in cast is horrible at anytime but having complications makes it so much worse.

Good luck with it and please let me know how you get on!!!

Milly xxx :-D
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby juejue » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:44 am

Hi Milly,

Thanks for your reply, I was kinda hoping its the fibro as I get cramp and tight muscles with that. It had crossed my mind it could be an infection, but I was ignoring it if I'm honest as I hate going to the docs as I feel like they think I'm a hypochondriac and always complaining. before the op, the g.p inferred I only wanted to be referred (even though my podiatrist requested the referral) because I wanted to have an op.

If its still bad tomorrow I will take your advice and ring the plaster room at the hospital. I will let you know how I get on, fingers crossed its "just" the fibro.

Cheers, have a good day and take care

Julia
juejue
UKFM Member

Postby millymoodoo » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:11 am

Hi Julia

It really makes me cross with some of the gp's you obviously needed the operation otherwise they wouldnt have done it thats disgusting treatment!!! Have you considered changing your gp? Its bad enough having fibro without them knowingly making you feel like a hypochondriac (ignorance is bliss) your gp needs reporting. Thats a good idea speaking to someone in the hospital plaster room, at least that way you will be given the best advice. Not sure what you can do if it is the fibro as its hard to get to it, it may be worth putting something frozen on the area of cast that is causing problems. I would be wary about adding heat because if it is infected the heat could make things much worse and increase any swelling thats already there. I was terrible i used to get awful itching and although not recommended i used knitting needles and allsorts to try and get some relief!!! Fortunately this wasnt what caused the infection but it could have done!!!

Take care
Milly xxx :-D
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems