Food Intoleremces ?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Food Intoleremces ?

Postby blueeyes64 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:59 pm

Does anyone have food intolerences and is it anything to do with FM ?
I have a problem with garlic.I was in agony with severe stomach/kidney pains on Monday after eating garlic in something and not realising till it was too late ! It started in the morning with diorreah 3 times in quick succession, and a tiny bit of red blood on the toilet paper.Then I got bloated and started with gas and niggley stomach pain.This then progressed to a bad level, i was in tears at one point.Seriously it was like labour pains, and I've had 4 kids with just gas and air.I took some mebeverine (anti spasmodic drug ) and i laid on my stomach and had a wheat bag underneath and a hot water bottle on my lower back, but the pains went on for around 7 hours coming in waves before it eased to a dull ache and I went to bed with my what bag !
The next day I was still gassy and bloated with some dull aches and pains, and later itchy dry skin, eyes and ears.
Today I have still been gassy and bloated but the stomach pains have been intermittent and just an odd sharp one now and again.Still itchy and have one itchy hive on my cheek, but I did get all the Halloween stuff out so that could be to do with something on those.I have been habinf pains in my back and wrists too today.And my throat feels irritated too, coughing when eating or drinking at times again.
So annoying as garlic is in so many things and can be missed if you're not careful :roll:
blueeyes64
UKFM Member

Re: Food Intoleremces ?

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:48 am

Wow never heard of intolerance to garlic, sounds really bad. Hope you feeling better soon if not I would try and see the GP.

........then again given the date ...could you really be a vampire and hence the reaction :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry couldn't resist I have a black sense of humour..take care and feel better soon. :hugs:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Moobaloo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:28 am

I've never heard of anyone having such a reaction to garlic as yours, it must have been awful for you!
I'm intolerant to wheat & gluten and suffered very similar symptoms as yours. In fact, it was due to my food intolerance that I ended up getting my FM diagnosis, because initially I was referred to a gastroenterologist as my GP thought I might have Coeliac Disease. It was the gastro that suggested I might have FM and that my digestive problems might be part of the FM. She was right! So, I have an intolerance to wheat & gluten and suffer from IBS...lovely isn't it?! NOT. ;-)
Moobaloo
UKFM Member

Postby blueeyes64 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:37 pm

Ha ha, very funny !
Definitely know garlic is a problem as it has happened to some degree every time I've eaten it,depending on how much and in what form etc.My mum used to have similar reactions and my sister has some probs with garlic too but only if she eats a lot.
Just starting to feel ok this morning, it usually lasts for a few days getting milder each day.I had horrible aches and pains last night in bed too, so think it has an effect on the fibro as well :roll:

Onions can have a milder effect too, but I still eat them ! It seems to cause an irritable bladder too as well as all the other annoying things !

I have noticed in the past that if I ate garlic regularly the symptoms aren't always as severe, still there but just some discomfort and diorreah.But I stopped eating it altogether for about 6 months and since starting back eating it the symptoms have been worse.
I think your body learns to tolerate foods if eaten a lot maybe ?

I had my bloods checked for celiac disease about 18 months ago when I went to see the GP before the fibro diagnosis, as I was worried I was getting Chrons disease like My mum (serious inflammatory bowel disease ) had.Nothing showed up on tests then, so Dr said possibly IBS and to see what foods maybe caused it.She ended up having a life saving op in her 60s when her bowel perforated due to Chrons and most of her bowel was removed and she had a colostomy bag put in.She was never in good health after that unfortunately :(

I do often have the feeling like I want to empty my bowels though even when I've been.
I'm keeping a diary of food eaten and reactions etc on an app I downloaded so I will see what I notice on that.

Hey ho, just another irritation to put up with !
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made paragraphs clearer for easier reading.
blueeyes64
UKFM Member

Food Intoleremces ?

Postby lisaward127 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:23 pm

Sorry to hear you are unwell, I have an intolerance to any wheat products, had an allergy test and this confirmed that wheat is the thing that makes me really unwell, I still have problems with my bowls but finding out what makes it worse is the best thing you can do. This might be a bit OTT but I eat a cording to my blood group, if you know what your blood group is you look it up online. My blood group is O and the O group can't handle wheat, there is a few things in the list that I still eat but in moderation and found that this diet helps with weight and tummy problems.

Best of luck and hope you better soon....
Lisa Ward
lisaward127
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:32 pm

Glad your starting to feel a bit better and sorry about the joke

I take it you have explained about your mum to the GP as given your mum's history of Chronn's I would ask the GP to keep an eye on things . Given family history plus your own reaction to certain things (like the garlic)I would ask if you could be referred to a gastro consultant just for your own peace of mind.

Hope you keep well
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby sjc » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:10 pm

hi. Good point you have made. I know some fibro people have IBS and some symptoms similiar to food allergies but whether it's a food allergy problem, who knows?

There is a cealiac blood test on nhs and you can buy a home kit blood test for cealiac from boots for around 20 quid. But these test only pick up gluten intolerance. There are about 2 or 3 food allergy blood tests that you can have, so just beware. York test laboraties do a home kit blood test to see if you got food allergies, but it's private and you got to pay anything from around 20 to just over 200 quid for home testing. I have noticed that when i was a kid, i could eat sweets as i would get terrible violent migraines, even just eating a few. I couldn't drink lots of milk as i would get phlegm in my throat.

Whether you got allergy or not, i always advise people not to eat too much lactose, gluten, or high sugary foods anyway. Take care.
sjc
UKFM Member

Postby blueeyes64 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:09 am

I think its definitely an intolerence versus allergy, I know a lot about food allergies as my youngest has them and I am a volunteer host on a food allergy site.I don't have an immediate reaction to garlic its delayed by several hours.I will just have to be careful in future !
I wouldn't go through igG testing such as the York test as I don't think it is an accurate way to determine food allergies, as everyone has igG in their blood its a normal occurrence.Wheras with igE testing such as is done via rast blood tests in allergy clinics these are spiked if you are allergic to a food.However even with igE tests there is a percentage of false positves and so its best to only test for foods that you have noticed a reaction to.
I used one of my hubby's clean diabetic skin prickers yesterday to do a quick skin prick test ;-) I put some raw garlic over the area that I had pricked and nothing came up at all, not even a small wheal.So if it had been an allergy it should have become irritated by this.This is all they do at the hospital, but you have to make sure everything is sterile and you don't cross contaminate the food used.I wouldn't advise anyone else to try this BTW ! I only did it because I was pretty sure it wasn't an ige allergy :-D
I found this article very interesting and may explain my symptoms
http://www.livestrong.com/article/54450 ... tolerance/
blueeyes64
UKFM Member

Postby Mog29 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:55 pm

I'm intolerant to yeast. I'm told that Fibro can b triggered by stress,and I can pin it down nearly to the day when my symptoms started.
Any time I eat bread or marmite or crumpets etc I get the most painful stomach pain,along with the other effects :oops:
So I try to avoid them as much as possible.
My GP said that yeast intolerence can be one of the things to go with Fibro??
Mog29
UKFM Member

Postby thebryans » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:31 pm

I also have an intolerence to garlic, to the point where if I were to eat even the tiniest amount my tongue swells, and my throat closes up,
Yes its a nightmare as its in so many foodstuffs, my poor hubby has to check everything before I eat it,
So you have my sympathy hunny,
soft hugs
xx loraine xx
thebryans
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems