Slurred speech?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Slurred speech?

Postby DonnaLily » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:52 am

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of a flare up (which would indicate I'm hoping for the end of it soon lol) -- I've had severe fatigue for a few days, but felt a lot more awake and with it today and yesterday although in pain, however I noticed something this evening (which mum noticed too as she gave me a funny look but didn't bring attention to it) I sometimes almost slur my speech, it's like my tongue gets in the way of my back teeth when pronouncing words like "sleeping bunnies" which I was singing to my 2yr old at the time. Well this 'slur' is almost a lisp I guess, it appears to happen more when I'm tired, I hadn't really thought about it but it's been something I've gotten used to, an ex boyfriend I seem to remember pointing out I have a 'cute lisp' sometimes.....

It's just got me wondering, if this down to fatigue? Or is it a Fibro thing? With the whole neurotransmitters playing silly beggars is this also something my brain is struggling with? I think I'll see if my nice GP is in tomorrow and pop in for a chat, I need to discuss my meds anyway as they aren't really helping (only on 20mg Citalopram daily) I'll mention this slurring, I imagine all I'll come away with is a diagnosis of CFS to add to my growing list of annoyances!

I hope you are all well, and fighting through any flare up if you have one, I feel like this one is never ending, I'm feeling very sore, achy and teary tonight, just told myself I don't want this anymore....if only it were that simple!

Donna xx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away"
DonnaLily
UKFM Member

Re: Slurred speech?

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:20 am

Yup I also get slured speech, along with the blank look as I can't remember my words or the wrong word at the wrong time. :oops: I' m finding this part really annoying and hard to get used to as people often think you are drunk or something, as happened to me at a local shop last Saturday. I wouldn't mind but I don't drink!

Just another little gem of a symptom to get used to :lol:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Flash » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:43 am

As you browse around the forum, you will find that speach problems are very common amongst us. To me it is one of the more distressing symptoms because other people notice it and if they don't accuse you of being drunk, they just look at you like you are stupid.
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:20 am

I get this at times as well, usually when I'm either wound up or extremely fatigued :oops: :oops: OH is used to it happening now and just takes over from where I've left off with what I was saying. DS has noticed more as well, only thing is he interrupts in that typical stroppy teenage way then says something that he thinks is clever or witty to try and make me look :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: Then he moans because he gets a mouthful from me and/or his dad :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Like Flash has said, if you look around the forum, you'll find numerous comments on the subject. I get frustrated when it happens, esp in public as I know what is going thru certain people's heads as they judge on first impressions as they scuttle by :lol: :lol: :lol:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby isitme » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:07 pm

when overdoing it you just cannot function so your body is telling you to rest, even have a rest from resting.

the words are crazy as you know what you want to say but just cant think of htem.
:-D
isitme
UKFM Member

Postby Niki » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:55 pm

yeah I get slurred speech and mixed up words and the worst was when I said the name of the company I work for in a recent job interview. I said business instead of building - 4 times! And I also forgot questions they'd asked as soon as they'd asked them :( didn't get the job!
"Sick and tired of being sick and tired..."
Niki
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems