Sleep Paralysis and fibromyalgia??

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby autumnellis » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:32 am

Since I have been told I may have FM 4 days ago I have been making a list of my symptoms so that I can give my Rheumy all of the information. Tonight I was thinking about my disturbed sleep and discovered that my horrible experiences have a name, sleep paralysis! Almost every night at the moment I hve horrendous long lasting, involved and realistic nightmares which always end with me waking myself up after realising it's a dream. I wake-up in my room and can see everything that is really there but there also a horrible fear some times and at other times there is a bearded man in the room next to my baby's cot or the door is open when it should be shut, I try and grab my husband or scream his name and I am completely paralysed, this can last for minutes or seconds. It is really frightening and I'm at the point where I dread going to sleep. I am aware that sleep disorders can be related to FM and just wondered if this came under that banner and whether any one else has experienced this and has any advice??? Thnk you in advance. xx
autumnellis
UKFM Member

Re: Sleep Paralysis and fibromyalgia??

Postby lolabolla » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:49 am

I have had these sleep disorders for years, they were worse in my late 20's to early 30's.

Even now at 53 I still suffer sparodic periods of this type of night terrors.

I have no idea if they are related to fibro and I have never discussed these problems with my G.P but it would be usefull to know if it is an FM related symptom.

Please keep us posted when you have seen your rheumy, and in the mean time I hope that you have some good nights sleep.

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby autumnellis » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:31 am

Thank you Lola, yes I will keep you posted. Mine started when I was late 20s too I'm 30 now so still in the age range you mentioned. I will see if I come up with anything. I actually had my first normalish nights sleep for ages last night! Anyway thanks a lot, hope you get some good sleep too. xx
autumnellis
UKFM Member

Postby TATT » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:17 am

I suffer from these, they are terrifying.

I got through them after lots of research. I mentally let go of the fear, which is what it is our fear. I also challenged the being that was in my room and told it to f..k off.

Which is so hard as I was paralysed. So to summarise, know its not real, loose your fear (I know it's hard) and fight back.

Mine went away after that. Hope this helps

Tatt x
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby autumnellis » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:53 pm

Thanks Tatt, a lot easier said then done but I'm working on it!! xx
autumnellis
UKFM Member

Postby isitme » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:54 pm

i still get the paralysis but not fears. but do have vivid dreams at times.

i wake up paralysed but cant move then eventually i start to twitch when i really feel awake even though i have been awake for ages (thinking when is oh going to wake up and get a cup of tea..._).

i sleep lightly too so if he roles over and touches me it wakes me up and i cant get back to sleep..... :evil: :evil: :evil:
really annoying

was waking up alot in night at one point and having to go back on laptop to get to sleep but been abit better lately.
:-D
isitme
UKFM Member

Postby Lyssie » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:01 am

I've had sleep paralysis a few times which I wasn't sure what it actually was and what was happening to me which my psychiatrist explained to me!

It's so distressing :( Lyssie x x
Lyssie :-) ...xX
Lyssie
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:24 am

I thought sleep paralysis was what i experience which is a very commen CFS/ME syptom.

Its when you wake up completely paralized yet your brain is awake and you can hear whats going on around you yet you cannot move and this can last for a long time, very frightening!

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Sleep-para ... ction.aspx

Also i know many medications can give you very visual nightmares and hullisinations (sp)
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby blueeyes64 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:36 pm

I have had a couple of these and they are terrifying to go through.But I know of a lot of people who have had them and don't have fibro (my daughter included ).It probably has something to do with lack of sleep though I think, because when it happened a couple of times to my daughter she was having trouble sleeping at the time , and of course fibro sufferers also have sleep probs.
blueeyes64
UKFM Member

Postby autumnellis » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:38 pm

Yes you're probably right Blueeyes, it does appear to be related to sleep deprivation. Thanks for your replies. xx
autumnellis
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems