IBS

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

IBS

Postby meyer12 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:04 pm

Jst wondering what foods others avoid to try and prevent ibs from flareing up. I have cut out white bread, alcohol, cerial, white potato and ive reduced the amount of fat in my diet massively. my symptoms have reduced slightly but ive got constant cramps. Ive been given mebeverine and buscupan from the GP but dont want to take them constantly so am looking into my diet to try and improve things so i dont have to take as many meds for it.

any ideas and advice would be fab, thanks, kirst x
meyer12
UKFM Member

Re: IBS

Postby Flash » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:24 pm

You can't beat a few prunes every day, don't overdo them though as too much fibre can also cause cramps. A pear every day is good too as they are granular and help 'things' to move through the colon. Personally, I had to give up all bread except a yeast free wheat free bread that although more expencive, you don't need much. Rye bread was too heavy for me. All mass produced cakes, pastries are a no no but I do have some home made cake every now and then.

Lettuce and cabbage are healing for the stomache and licorice is good in small amounts. I drink pineapple juice as orange and grapefruit are too acidic. Vinegar can be an enemy too although cider vinegar dosen't have the same acid, it makes it good for people with arthritis too. Take it steady with oats to make sure that the gluten in them don't bother you. Marmite, wine, grapes, apples and fruit jams might need careful monitoring as they ferment in the gut, as do any foods with a slight bit of un seen mould on so fresh is best.

Tomato seeds can be a problem as they hang around in pockets and cause cramps. I know there is much more but that'll do for starters, I think I have mentioned the main culprits, see if it's helpful in any way.

Take sare.
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby monica » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:54 pm

I've been taking probiotic acidophilus chewable tablets and they have really help me.

I try to avoid the obvious wind producing foods like beans and brussel sprouts. I try not to eat too much bread either as that bloats me out.
monica
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi
This is a good site on IBS, it gives lots of info on all areas of IBS.

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Irritab ... ndrome.htm
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby meyer12 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:59 am

Thats al fab advice :) i will have alook at that site too. My ibs is getting rediculous lately so will defindtly be trying everything and aything to get it back on an even keel.
Thanks x
meyer12
UKFM Member

Postby isitme » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:59 pm

i have foudn the more i cut bread out the worse it affects me now when i cave in.

funny feelings in mouth at first then this weekend tingly lips.
dr did a blood test for coeliac but came back negative.

i also use lactose free and gluten free stuff as much as can afford.
though really miss bread or toast and marmite sometimes. gluten free bread is too crumbly liek eating cakes.
:-D
isitme
UKFM Member

Postby mand » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:13 am

hi, well i have intollerances....gastritis...ibs. at the moment eating fruit, veg, salad, white meat, fish, rice. Have you made a diary of food and drinks and see if there is a pattern of ibs symptoms. somedays i do eat stuff esp bread and it kills me but the cravings... :crazy: . Stay on meds for a while then once tums ok start to reduce, if the pains really bad again your not ready to come off.
Do you have bloating ...i take peppermint oil caps (maximum strength) from H&B i get them in half price sale, they help for me....

Best of luck
mand
UKFM Member

Postby mouseyone » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:54 am

I struggle with garlic and bread too and have to restrict the dairy when I'm extra stressed as it goes straight through me:roll:
Does anyone else have to be careful not to over do fruit? It seems to ferment in my tum and makes me feel really bad at times x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
mouseyone
UKFM Member

Postby Flash » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:42 am

Mouseyone, yes a lot of fruits ferment in the stomache. A lot of them have air bourne yeast on them and others have yeast in the make up. it's difficult to know which is best but I think if you can make a good wine out of a certain fruit, don't eat it. Ugh! Rice and white potatoes can be a problem for those effected with yeast intollerance too. Goodness, are we supposed to starve??

Every now and then, I take vegetable charcoal tablets to settle things down also a digestive enzyme. When I find the bottle I will put the name on here. Not leaving my warm bed for anything at the moment...
Flash
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems