Colds and fibro

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Colds and fibro

Postby Gill76 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:57 pm

I've been lucky since I got diagnosed and haven't had a bad cold etc. Today I started with a sore throat which has got worse. My question is has something like that set off a flare for any of you. I haven't felt this bad in quite a while, body aching and I can't even have the cats lie on me, I'm too tender :(
Diagnosed HMS - 1996 ~ Diagnosed Fibro - April 2011
Gill76
UKFM Member

Re: Colds and fibro

Postby toplessbug » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:34 pm

The cold has really got to me today.
I feel really ill today, just can't get warm.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2
toplessbug
UKFM Member

Postby SusanS » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:55 am

I think you will find colds more difficult to manage with FM. The pain you would normally experience is heightened which explains the tenderness. I've found that my noise and light sensitivity is exaggerated too during a cold. All you can do is continue to take your meds, try cold remedies that won't interract with them and if you work, take time off! It seems a bit lame taking time off work with a cold but you need the rest to help your recovery. Get well soon, Sooze x
SusanS
UKFM Member

Colds and fibro

Postby DonnaLily » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:28 pm

I'm feeling the beginnings if a cold and I'm pretty nervous as to how it will effect me since the increase of my FM symptoms - I don't think I've had a cold for about a year!

Got my beechams at the ready!!!

Donna xx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away"
DonnaLily
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:58 pm

I have the flu jab every yr so i avoid them :-D
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Colds and fibro

Postby DonnaLily » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:07 pm

Do you know the criteria for flu jabs? Or do you go to the supermarkets for it? xx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away"
DonnaLily
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:29 pm

I get it free from my gp but i do have crohns as well.
My OH has fibro and also gets it free every year.

It depends on the area you live in, some places will do it for fibro others wont. Its worth giving you surgery a call to find out. :fingerscrossed:

It costs £10 in the supermarkets.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Colds and fibro

Postby Lyssie » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:40 am

I find my whole body just throbs and dull aches like 5X worse when I have a cold... Hope you're all alright xxx
Lyssie :-) ...xX
Lyssie
UKFM Member

Postby jennthefunkyranger » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:02 pm

I get a flu jab for free from the doctors too, but I'm also asthmatic
jennthefunkyranger
UKFM Member

Postby maxtomads » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:45 pm

Mine's free from the gp because of mitral valve disease
They have a list of conditions that get it free, but anyone else can get it if they pay

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
maxtomads
UKFM Member

Colds and fibro

Postby DonnaLily » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:41 pm

I seem to be fighting it so far just sniffles and aches, but the aches are normal these days lol

xxx
DonnaLily
UKFM Member

Colds and fibro

Postby Gill76 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:48 pm

Thankfully after that first day it's eased up on the fibro side of things. Luckily I've a very understanding fiance and he made me take it easy! I've had the flu jab as well. I'm a medical secretary and all hospital staff are eligible for it.
Diagnosed HMS - 1996 ~ Diagnosed Fibro - April 2011
Gill76
UKFM Member

Colds and fibro

Postby DonnaLily » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:17 pm

I'm in full blown cold territory now! But cold virus related stuff is ok, wouldn't say it's a particularly bad cold but my god I ache, my whole body is sore as if I've just done a marathon!
I've been busy the past two days which hasn't helped and 'bubba' lily has a small cold too, although she's fab with it, takes it on the chin and just sleeps lots which is great as I can 'rest'

I've just had a call from the council who are coming round to do a home inspection tomorrow afternoon in prep for my mutual exchange in January (lovely two bed flat for me and my babba bear :-) I can have a bed instead of sofabed in the lounge!)
So I've got lots of housework to do which has been put off since my cold started, *sigh*

Also been finding my sciatica is worse since my physio gave me exercises for it! Grr

Oh well onwards and upwards! I'm dying to get my Xmas tree out but don't have the energy! Boo!!

Xxx
DonnaLily
UKFM Member

Postby jennthefunkyranger » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:20 pm

I've come down with a cough now. Touch wood, at the moment all it is is a cough and a slight sore throat, I don't feel unwell, but that's with the weekend to relax - I have to survive the week at work now!
jennthefunkyranger
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:21 pm

From a simple cold i have become very bad!

The coughs/sneezing and blowing my nose have completely put my back out into a spasm thats so bad i thought i would end up in hospital! I am bed bound and need 24/7 care as cant move, even sitting up in bed is killing me.

My jaw has locked up as i need to constantly open my mouth to breathe, my ribs feel like they have been smashed into pieces where im coughing and my lips are all blistered/chapped and my glands are so swollen i can hardly swollow.

My fatigue has got worse yet cant sleep with pain and gunge so i am very foggy headed. I feel very weak and now im sure i may have a sinus infection as theres a horrid smell up mi nose! :roll:

Iv just about manged to get on here for little while and thats cause im so bored i need to do something lol.

Im sat in my bed in agony with lappy.

Off to docs tomorrow......

All this from a flippin cold!!
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems