Fibro and glasses

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibro and glasses

Postby monica » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:59 pm

Just wondering if anyone here has tried varifocal glasses and had a bad time with them? I was prescribed them a year ago as my sight had deteriorated so I couldn't read with my glasses any more (I'm short sighted and one pair of glasses would do for everything at one time)

Anyway I tried the varifocals and just couldn't get on with them at all. I kept being told it takes time to adjust to them but the nausea was awful and I couldn't drive in the wretched things. I just couldn't see properly. Also you get the nodding dog syndrome because you have to keep moving your head up and down to see through the correct bit of the lens. That did my the neck the power of good...not!

Not sure what to do now as I need to have my eyes tested again and dread the optician banging on about the varifocals again. At the moment I take my glasses off to read but it's not ideal as I have astigmatism in one eye.

Would Fibro make it harder to adjust to varifocals. Or am I making a big fuss and should just try them again?
monica
UKFM Member

Re: Fibro and glasses

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:08 pm

FM can add it's effects to our eyesight Monica, thanks to it affecting the muscles in all our body. So finding that we need to go for an eye test more frequently isn't unusual. But having problems adjusting to a type of lens hasn't come up before, as far as I can recall.

I picked up my latest glasses about a month ago, which are my first pair of varifocals, and if anything they have been easier for me to adjust to than previous ones that have been single vision ones. There was the initial nodding dogness until I got used to where the different parts of the lens were, and since then it's been fine, they've even helped ease my headaches slightly.

Have you asked your optician to check that the lenses were made up correctly or even in the right way round???
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Iceskatemum » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:22 pm

Like FP I would also suggest going back to the Optician for a check up . I know with my varifocals even if the leg or nose pad are out of sync even a small amount it can mean the centre of your eye isn't quite where it is supposed to be to get the full effect of the vary focals.

It also depends how big your vari focal bit is . I know the optician I go to has various grades of vari focal lens ( getting dearer as they get better) the dearest one having very little fuzziness around the outside of the main area of lens.

Appreciate that I may not have explained this very well but it all balls down to seeing that your frames are in the right place on your face as vari focal can be very unforgiving.
I have to swap to a single lens when watching tv in bed. My glasses are geared to watching tv etc sitting up and so I can't get the right part of the lens across my eyes when I lie down .

Good luck and let us know how you get on
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby monica » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:41 pm

Thanks for your replies. My mum payed for the glasses as they were really expensive, I think they were the second best grading or what ever you call them. I do wonder if they weren't quite right. I ended up returning them and getting a refund, they didn't even check if they were actually correct!

Iceskatemum I read in bed so would probably have the same trouble as you do with the TV watching. The reading bit on the lens might be in the wrong place. I can't sit up and read, I get too stiff. I guess a set of reading glasses would solve that problem though.

I think I will go to a different optician this time and see what they say.
monica
UKFM Member

Postby monica » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:11 am

Oh dear! I've tried varifocals again and it's worse this time than last time I tried! I've now had a flare up in my neck and shoulders where I'm having to tip my head up and down to see the right bit. *sigh* Guess I'll have to go back to the opticians and see what they say :(
monica
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:29 am

Monica Although I still wear my varifocals ( as you say very expensive) there are times when they just don't seem quite right. May be I've got used to them but there are occasions when I have a sore neck and I just can 't seem to get my head into the right position .

You've given them a good try but like many people maybe they are just not for you.

An alternative might be contacts . I was told I could have everyday contaacts that would allow me to see for most activites but then to put on a reading/TV glasses just like others who may have a different script for these type of activities .

Might be worth considering if you can't get on top of the varifocal difficulties.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby millymoodoo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:13 am

Hi all

I am reading this topic with much interest!!! I have just had my eye test again and my eyes have changed quite a bit, my optician knows a lot about fibro so i know she fully understands how things are. I asked about bifocal or varyfocal as i need 2 pairs of glasses one for reading and the other for the rest of the time, but she was totally against it for me, she said that fibro doesnt always affect the eye muscles but in my case it is and she would advise me to get the 2 pairs. I dont know if its got anything to do with me having a glaucoma which i am under the hospital for at the minute but she really was against it. I should have asked her more questions about it but i just wanted to get out of the shop and home. I dont know about anyone else but i find having my eyes checked an ordeal and just want it to be over but i am making a list of questions for next time.

Millyxxx :-)
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby monica » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:44 pm

Iceskatemum interesting you said earier about the nose piece needs to be in the rght place. i went back to the opticians this afternoon and they adjusted the nose piece! Can't say as it's made much difference so far. I have a feeling as you say, they just aren't for me. I'll continue for a few more days and then admit defeat if no better. I can try office glasses I think they are called which are for computer use. I'll give them ago next!

Millymoodoo I don't think my optician understood fibro, she just looked at me blankly as I tried to explain. I know what you mean about wanting to get out of the shop and get home!

Thanks for your replies everyone.
monica
UKFM Member

Postby kitten » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:16 pm

Please try and get used to them I have had Varifocals for 14 years and never had any real problems gone back to Spec Savers a few times to have them adjusted they have to be spot on , no way could I go back to two pairs and keep changeing them over
Good luck with them sure you will be fine once you get used to them
kitten
UKFM Member

Postby monica » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:45 pm

Hi Kitten really pleased you can get on with them.

I can't stand the neck/shoulder pains they give me so I'm quite happy to have two pairs instead.

Sorry forgot to say the other day I can't wear contact lenses as they stick to my eyeballs as they are so dry. Optician said they were a no no for me.

Trust me to be awkward :crazy: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
monica
UKFM Member

Postby Pepperty » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:01 pm

monica wrote:Sorry forgot to say the other day I can't wear contact lenses as they stick to my eyeballs as they are so dry. Optician said they were a no no for me.
Trust me to be awkward :crazy: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ditto, I wore contacts for about 5 years..everyone used to ask me if I was tired as my eyes went bloodshot. Now, 15 years later I realise why as my eyes are always dry!

I did the best (and worst) thing a decade ago and had eye corrective lazer surgery. having 20/20 vision has been a blessing but the pain, at the time, post surgery was unbelieveable. I was in bed 10 days, in agony, puce, eyes streaming, didnt eat (anyone who knows me would be amazed at that statement- i'm a foodie) If I could have found the strength to throw myself out of the window...I would have :oops:

The doctor said it was rare to have that level of pain.....I now surmise It was fibro/hypothyroid issues. So, no - I do not recommend corrective surgery for anyone with fibro!
Pepperty
UKFM Member

Postby monica » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:05 pm

Ouch, that made my toes curl! I'm glad it was O.K. for you in the end after experiencing all that pain!
monica
UKFM Member

Postby Pepperty » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:33 pm

It's lovely not having to wear glasses anymore, I was always crushing/breaking them + a new pair every year at £100+ made the lazer correction costs minimal, I saved money by fixing my eyes :-D I may still need glasses for reading as I get older, but its been great having 12 years glasses free :-D

I'm a 'bit deaf' so being 'a bit blind' too drove me nuts :roll: social situations were hard work :-? now I can see great, but I still cant hear well, can hardly walk/bend/communicate/keep awake :crazy: damn fibro! :banghead:
Pepperty
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:47 am

Oooohh sorry Pepperty am a bit of a scardy cat about anybody going near my eyes so the thought of eye surgery just horrifies me . I once got an eye health consultation and asked if I was suitable for it but because of my script I would have needed new lenses like they do if you have a cataract, rather than just the laserwork . All very expensive and very scary.

Fraid I just have to grin & bear the glasses and save very hard between times for the next pair as the price of them is getting ridiculous !
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby mand » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:29 pm

Hi, it took me three weeks to get used to varifocals, i was ready for throwing the towel in and it just clicked, do need to go back to optitians for tiny tweeks nose pad wise, i do not wear them reading in bed i use cheepo ones.... a tip dont wear new glasses whilst going up/down stairs etc, the ground was forever comming up to me and i felt about two foot when walking :crazy: weird...

my hubby had surgery about twelve years ago and now wearing glasses for reading, distance still fine

try and percivere (sp)? if you can..... good luck......M
mand
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems