CFS/ME same thing as Fibro!?!

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

CFS/ME same thing as Fibro!?!

Postby Chel_82 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:57 pm

Hi guys hope your all doing ok, I just wanted some advice as a little bit confused. I was diagnosed with Fibro beginning of the year after suffering with pain, fatigue and many symptoms for 15 years. Recently my fatigue is much much worse and I'm finding I'm having afternoon naps more often.

While doing some research about alcohol intolerance (yep another symptom) I came across CFS/ME, I have heard of it but didn't know the symptoms. Having read them and realising it is very similar to Fibro I decided to ask my Gp if it was possible I had both, she said the 2 conditions are the same thing!?! This confused as now I'm not sure if I just have Fibro or do I have both? I need to keep my work updated with what it happening as I am off on long term sick at the moment.

What do you guys think? Have any of you also been told this?

Thanks Chel
Chel_82
UKFM Member

Re: CFS/ME same thing as Fibro!?!

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:19 pm

Altho they share a lot of symptoms, they tend to be regarded as different conditions, when being investigated, if the pain is more prominent then FM tends to be dx'd, whereas if fatigue is the more prominent problem, that when the CFS/ME dx tends to be given.

It is possible to have both conditions. I got the CFS box ticked on my card earlier this year after struggling with fatigue for a while.

This linky tells you more about the differences between the 2 conditions viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8969 If you think you may also have CFS then seeing your GP is the first thing you'll need to do so things can start being looked into for you.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:01 pm

They are different conditions YET when i saw the consultant rhumatologist with my daughter the other day he said both CFS/FM were the *same* :-? im hoping he ment they go hand in hand! cause no there not the same :-? i was gonna tackle him on it but it wasnt my appointment was for my daughter cause i would have :face-slap: yet this was a consultant of over 30yrs experience... :roll:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby penfriend » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:33 pm

hello Chel. I believe they are two different illnesses. I was diagnosed with severe M.E. long before I was told I also had Fibro. penfriend
penfriend
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:44 pm

I've also had this conversation with a couple of doctors and the way it was explained to me was that current thinking believes them to be both on the same spectrum. i.e they seem to have the same basis but present in differnet ways . It was then explained to me using the following idea:- If you draw it out on a piece of paper I think it is easier to grasp.

If you think of a straight line then at one end you have CFS/ME and the other you have FM and you start in the middle with no symptoms

CFS/ME--------------------No symptoms ----------------------FM

As has been said in some people the fatigue is the more prominent symptom and so it is referred to as CFS/ME and you would move left toward one end of the line.

Others with pain etc as the main symptom would be moved right towards the other end.

All the other symptoms we seem to have are placed along the line depending on whether they are associated with CFS/ME or FM and you would move up and down the line depending how you felt . so you could have pain being the most prominant symptom or on another day it could be the fatigue or memory etc.

May be that has just confused people but it did seem to make sense to me as the doc drew it all out on paper ! May be on another day it wouldn't :lol:

Hugs

ISM
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Chel_82 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:30 pm

Thanks everyone, I do think I also have cfs/me along with the Fibro and this was why I brought it up with my Dr. I had done some research before I mentioned it and I read that some Dr's say it's the same while others say it's different. It's all very confusing but I just want to finally get to the bottom of everything. My fatigue is so bad at the moment, if I didn't have a 2 year old I would literally stay in bed all day but obviously I can't.

I might bring it up with her again next time I see her :)

Chel x
Chel_82
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems