Ganglion Cyst on spine.

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Ganglion Cyst on spine.

Postby countyfan » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:40 pm

Hi All,
Sorry I haven't been on the forum for a while-just been so exhausted on getting back from work had been falling asleep in evenings.
Now have a couple of days off over Christmas but still feel exhausted. Doc offered to sign me off work for a couple of weeks but am the only one in work between Christmas and New Year so can't be off ill. GP reckons that I am experiencing a really bad Fibro flare and has prescribed Zoclopane? (not sure about spelling) to help me get some proper sleep..
What I was really wanting to ask, is if anyone had experienced a ganglion cyst of thoracic spine? I hurt my lower spine after bending wrongly in the summer and had an MRI in October with the result that showed the cyst at L4/5. There isn't much info on the web about this condition but as I am already on the waiting list for surgery to my cervical spine, the Docs aren't too worried about doing anything at the moment.
Hope everyoneone gets a good rest this Christmas (I think I may take the doc up on the time off in the New Year) but have to take care I have enough sick leave entitlement, for the time I need to recover from the neck op in the spring They reckon about 10 weeks!

Happy Christmas

Countyfan x ;-)
countyfan
UKFM Member

Re: Ganglion Cyst on spine.

Postby shazq » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:29 pm

Hi
I have not heard of a Ganglion cyst but found this link which might help

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Excisionof ... ction.aspx

Hope you are able to catch up on some rest over Xmas and take up the docs offer for some time off if you dont get over this flare up. :hugs: Hope you have a good Xmas.

:goodluck1: with the op.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby countyfan » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:06 pm

Thanks for your reply Shazq,

Thanks for the link. The problem is that all that comes up if you google 'ganglion cyst' are things about them on your wrist or other external area. I suppose the spinal cyst is the same basic idea but they form over the neural foramen. I think that another name for it is synovial cyst but some sites say thet they are slightly different and supposedly due to the friction on the nerve. I'm currently having physio for my lower back pain but she has to be careful what exercises to recommend, in case they make my neck worse (I'm falling apart at the seams!)

Did have one ray of hope yesterday, as spinal surgeon is doing some neck ops at a local private hospital, to reduce the waiting lists, so might be called sooner rather than later. However instead of being pleased that I might be going to be more able to do my job afterwards my boss was worrying about how long I had to be off! Have spoken on here before about how he is with me so enough said...

Hope you have a really restful Christmas too. :-P :-P
Best Wishes
countyfan
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:27 pm

I have had a ganglion removed from my wrist years ago. In the olden days the doc would whack it with the old family bible, probably not easy or the best thing to do to your spine :-D :-D :-D ganglion's are simply fluid filled sac's hence belting them caused them to disperse, problem is they have a habit of reoccurring. I've never heard of anyone with one on the spine before so :fingerscrossed: and :goodluck1: with your op hope everything goes well and you get to have it done sooner rather than later :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems