anxiety ?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

anxiety ?

Postby mrsmurs » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:26 pm

hi all
im a newbie but wondering if this problem ive got is connected to fibro
here goes
i cant seem to control my nerves, i worry about stuff before it happens, i shake and shiver actually feel cold.
i cant sit still
i can go from feeling ok to a wreck in seconds
it can be something like kids playing out in the street near my car or most recent getting a dss letter with a form to fill in i just feel like i have to run get away out the house
i can wake up in the morning feeling like it, or if the slightest little thing can trigger it
am i going mad :yikes:
mrsmurs
UKFM Newbie

Re: anxiety ?

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:42 pm

Anxiety is often associated with FM and quite a lot of us are affected by it in varying degrees. Like you, it can be the most innocuous thing that sets it off, but then all I can picture is the most catastrophic event possible happening.

There are meds and treatments that can help with it, it might be something worth discussing with your GP.

As for going mad, if you're not at the moment, then you will be soon now you've joined us :crazy: :crazy: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :crazy: :crazy:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby monica » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:14 pm

I don't think you're going mad! My middle name is anxiety. If there's nohing to worry about in my life I'll soon start worrying and find something!

Hope your GP can help with meds if you go down that route.
monica
UKFM Member

Postby SharonL42 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:44 pm

My GP once told me that if you are worried you're going mad then you can't be....I hold onto that thought each time I think I am lol.

I get very anxious over little things too but an trying really hard to stop this atm. Has some CBT which helped a lot.

Sharon xxx,

Keep Smiling :-)
Keep Smiling :)
SharonL42
UKFM Member

Postby mrsmurs » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:17 pm

awww thank you all so much for your replies
got docs appointment in the new year so will have to mention it
pleased im not the only one :-D
mrsmurs
UKFM Newbie

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:30 pm

Hi there , given yuo are so new to all of this , it might be a good idea to jot down on a page symptoms & things that are worrying you so that you can take it to your GP appointment.
I always remember things after I have been to the surgery and so doing this is the only way I can remember to talk to them about stuff.

Gentle Hugs
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Soapbubbles » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:40 pm

Hi mrsmurs,

Sorry to hear you are suffering so much. I know what you mean though, I would lie awake at night thinking all sorts of terrible things and all my muscles would go tense and I wouldn't be aware of it.

Anxiety does things like that. I have had CBT in the past which has been really helpful. I was encourage to think of those anxious thoughts as negative automatic thoughts. Now my husband will often say to me that is a NAT when I start stressing over something.

I also found that a low GI diet helped too. Now when I start to feel anxious I can often trace it back to an overdose of sugary foods. I found this out from reading Potatoes not Prozac which I read after my doctor suggested I take prozac and i really didn't want to take it.

I think the amytriptyline has helped a bit too even though I am only taking 10mg. It has helped me sleep and made me feel a bit calmer.

Best wishes
Soapbubbles
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:40 am

mmmmnnnn I think most of us do the anxiety thing, drives you potty but CBT definitely can help you to control those negative thought and replace them with a more positive approach so definitely talk to your doc about it, maybe you will need some medication to help you get to a stage were one of the talking therapies will help to resolve the problem so :fingerscrossed: and :goodluck2: and if you need to unload before your appointment then come on here and we will try to help :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby mrsmurs » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:48 pm

well im still here ,,, just :-D
went to the doctors my report wasnt back from the hospital but i did manage to talk about this anxiety and was given cymbalta to try
its only day 2 of taking them, feeling very tired and slightly dizzy i hope that goes quickly
i dont like taking taking tablets etc but cant go on the way i am feeling constantly nervous and to sick to eat, lost nearly a stone in less than a month
hope ive done the right thing in taking these tablets as ive read some nasty things about them x
mrsmurs
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:11 pm

The side effects that you read about meds having tend to be a general overview of different things that people have experienced. It doesn't mean that you will experience them all. Generally any side effects experienced tend to start easing off after a while.

With Cymbalta being an anti~d it you may find that it takes up to a month before you start to feel any benefit as it needs to build up in your system. Once there tho, hopefully it will bring you so easing in things :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:23 pm

Here's hoping things settle down for you :fingerscrossed:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby millymoodoo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:04 am

Hi

I started on cymbalta 3 weeks ago, i started on 30mg for 2 weeks as i was also on gabapentin and i have been reducing this 1 capsule every 3 days and by the end of the 2nd week i was totally off gabapentin. I then was instructed to increase cymbalta to 60mg a day and i am due to see my gp on wed to decide on what to do next. If i am totally honest my pain level is way out of control and all i am doing is sleeping but i have also had som virus over christmas and new year and wondered if this wasnt helping. I am hoping that the tiredness will eventually go as i get used to cymbalta as going by the letter from the pain clinic they are looking at increasing the dose eventually to 120mg a day which i am willing to try as long as this drowsiness subsides a little. Its early days yet so i am going to give this quite a bit longer if it can relieve this pain i am in it will be worth it. I dont know about anyone else but i feel lazy if i have to stay in bed, i feel i should be up but since starting on the 60mg cybalta all i want to do is sleep, is anyone else having these problems?

Any help would be really appreciated good or bad!!!

Millyxxx :-)
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:49 pm

What time of the day are you taking them Milly?? I'm think there has been a mention or 2 on here from peeps who have, like you, found that when initially starting off on it that it made them sleepy as well, so they took theirs at night. It meant they slept thru how they might have felt during the day while they got used to it. And from personal experiences, it's something I've done with the different anti~ds I've been on for the same reasons.

With Cymbalta being an anti~d, like others it needs about a month to fully get into your system and make its presence fully felt. With you saying you started them three weeks ago, it could be that you need to give them a little longer for them to take effect. Plus you may not be at the right dosage level for you just yet. With your letter from your pain clinic saying about your dosage eventually going up to 120mg, you may need some more increases to get you to a suitably effect dosage for you.

And of course, the virus~buggy lurgy thing that decided to spend the festive season with you will have probably added its unwelcome effects to things as well. There have been some really awful ones doing the rounds that are taking longer to recover from than previous ones.

Hope things start to ease a little for you soon :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: DeeDee sends special Noo Ears snuzzles to your special girlie :dogrun1:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby millymoodoo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi FP

I take 30mg in the morning and 30mg at night!!! I did wonder about taking them at night but worried they may not have the desired affect!!! When my gp prescribed the cymbalta she said that they are also used as an anti depressant but she was prescribing them for help with the pain but whatever the reason i feel better in myself as i know i was hitting rock bottom, maybe they know this and decided to kill 2 birds with 1 stone but i will talk to my gp about this when i see her.

Milly has been an absoloute gem while i have been in zombie land she hasnt bothered me to take her for :dogrun1: she has really just amused herself :dogchasecat1: to the disgruntle of the cats!!!! Milly sends lots of love to deedee doodoo's and yourself and we both wish you a happy new year!!! I am hoping to be able to take her out tomorrow, maybe not far but at least for a long :dogrun1:

Millyxxx :-)
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:54 pm

It's definitely worth asking about taking it at night, it could help with not being in ZombieLand during the day :mrgreen: :mrgreen: The first anti~d I had, I was told to take it in the morning and it left me feeling a bit like you've described, in ZombieLand, so I did a bit of consulting with Dr Google before my next appt about times to take it, and my GP thought it was worth trying. The anti~d didn't really help me unfortunately, nor did the next couple I tried :( :( But I've stuck to taking them at night and sleeping thru their initial side effects seems to have made it a bit easier when getting used to them.

Sounds like Milly has been doing her bestest looking after mum while she's pawly duties :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: Hope you both manage to get out for a little fresh air tomorrow :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems