virus & fibro

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

virus & fibro

Postby VLB » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi All,

Just wondering if any of you have had a similar experience.

Have had problems getting my FM under control for past 3 to 4 weeks, despite having had a holiday in that time. Been in a lot of pain, exhausted, and thing I find the hardest to deal with, feeling completely stressed out and getting stressed and upset over the silliest of things. On Chritmas Eve I woke up with a really sore throat and coughing. Thought it was just a cold. By Saturday it had completely floored me. I've only been out of bed to go to the GP since then, and that was a real struggle. He is pretty sre I have a virus. Did blood tests and should get results at the end of week. Feeling so flat, dizzy, head achy, in pain, just can't move. I've always been able to shake things like this off. Never had a day sick in bed till February 2012 when I got flu for first time in my life, now this. Is it normal for Fibro sufferers to be more prone to viruses etc, and to be so knocked out by them? Anything any of you have found helpful in these situations. I feel so awful. Sorry, feeling really sorry for myself! I know there is probably many of you much worse off than me.

Happy New Year Everyone
VLB
VLB
UKFM Member

Re: virus & fibro

Postby Soapbubbles » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:31 pm

Hi VLB,

Sorry your are suffering so much.

It does seem to be normal to catch things more easily with FM. I have certainly been through phases where I have had more viruses, usually when I have been more stressed and sleep deprived. Look after yourself and get plenty of rest if you can.
Soapbubbles
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:51 pm

Hi VLB

What you are describing could be a fibro flare? thats how we tend to feel flu like symptoms.

You might have caught a virus? but if you find this goes on for longer than a couple of weeks or you get better than get like this again than its more than likely fibro flares.

The cold damp weather can also trigger flares as well as stress, it makes your body/joints extra achy/stiff and you feel fatigued.

Hope you feel better soon. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:19 pm

Sorry you are feeling so bad VLB it pretty much mirrors how I feel at the moment, my joints are very sore , I am so thythargic I want to stay in bed all day if I could , I feel guilty about not having the Xmas /New Year spirit. I have cried over the silliest things often in public when I then feel a fool .
I went to GP just before xmas and he increase both my Anti d's and pain meds which don't seem to have worked very well . My joints are more sore (was wondering if due to the new Tramadol v co-codamol) although had thought my all over pain had receeded a bit for a while ..today back with a vengence.

Am interested to read from Shazq that it could be due to a flare as I have been having times every few weeks when just my pain level /tiredness had increased and thought they were flares given I am in pain and tiredness everyday but this is just everything and feels different!

Hope for you sake it is a virus and you will be able to shake it off with some rest and plenty of fluids . I think we have a problem at the moment were people don't accept that even a common infection can leave you wiped out and you need time to recuperate/convelese. When younger my GP( who seemed very old to me) would always say you need at least a week after your symptoms have disappeared before you should be out doing your normal things again. Not sure many employers would buy in to that nowadays

Hope you feel better soon hugs
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby VLB » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:56 am

Thanks for all your get well wishes. Finally today after a week in bed the headache appears to have gone and taken with it the dizziness. Still in sme pain and go from tired to exhausted very quickly but closer to what is normal for me. Do feel very low though. Guessing this is normal. Any tips for raising spirits? Drugs don't seem to be doing it. Thankfully I have a very supportive employer who is happy for me to work in whatever way I can and to take time out when necessary. The advantage of having worked somewhere for over ten years I guess. They know I'm not work shy and will put the hours in when I can. Let's hope no viruses for any of us this year. Stay healthy!!
VLB
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:16 am

So glad you are feeling a bit better, hope you continue to improve :-D
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby ElvisPresley » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:55 am

Fibro definitely doesn't help when colds and viruses are around at this time of year (or any time of year come to think of it!) I have Fibro and have had 4 colds in the last 2 months. They make me feel really unwell and all my fibro symptoms are worse. I work in a GP surgery and loads of patients are coming in with their coughs and colds, even though the GPs can't do anything to get rid of it! I hardly ever caught colds and viruses before I had fibro, but now they seem to hit me really quickly without any warning, one minute I'm ok the next I'm not! It's unbelievable how quickly they appear. Hope you're better soon!
ElvisPresley
UKFM Member

Postby shammylady » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:19 pm

I have just posted on another thread about this im having exact same problem and my hands and joints were hurting more im incontact with people who are ill a lot and its not helping as i have now caught 2 in the spate of a month
shammylady
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems