When To Get Checked Out?!

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

When To Get Checked Out?!

Postby LucyLiz » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:59 pm

Brace yourselves, this could be a long one - I'm half ranting, half actually asking the above question!

I have a list of health problems as long as my arm, I was never a "sickly" person but I guess with the anxiety problems I have I am guilty of hitting Google with symptoms then taking myself to the doctors because I've scared myself into thinking I have something serious. Sometimes it's nothing, sometimes it's been something.

I have IBS which brings the usual issues - bloating, pain, cramps, fatigue etc. It's usually managable though it has put me in hospital twice (they suspected my appendix). I've had gyno problems, one of which is a cyst in my ovary. In itself it causes no problems but like all cysts there's always the risk it could burst - do you know the symptoms for ovarian cyst rupture? Bloating, pain, lower back cramps and fatigue, same as IBS. I also have (we think due to the nature of my work) a problem disc in the bottom of my back - causes lower back pain, cramps, and referred pain to my legs and head.

Then I was diagnosed with Fibro, so how on earth am I meant to know when to worry and when to not?! Last Wednesday I was sitting here with awful pain going through the side of my left breast, and it spread to my shoulder and arm. You run those symptoms by the NHS and it'll tell you to go straight to A&E with suspected heart attack! So at what point do we say "this isn't Fibro" and go to the doctors? Same problem today, got a horrid throbbing pain over where my left ovary is - do I not get it checked because it's probably only Fibro and sit here potentially with internal bleeding because the cyst has ruptured, or do I go to A&E with a potential rupture problem to be sent home because it's "only" Fibro and then feel like I wasted everyone's time?!

I surely cannot be the only person having this issue?!?!?!
LucyLiz
UKFM Newbie

Re: When To Get Checked Out?!

Postby tonydin » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:54 pm

hi no your defo not the only one ,, we feel so much and initialy it causes all sorts of anxity problem,s
i wont know if its some thing bad untill to late but its never been any thing yet so i stick with that

had the pain in chest spreading to arm and jaw the other day wondered if i sould do something eveb panicked for a second but whent and split some logs insted

its a crazy craxy thing

tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:13 am

I think the main problem you have is your anxiety, which because of all your conditions seems to be stuck in high gear. If you could get this under control I think you would then be able to differentiate between the symptoms.

I suppose if in doubt check it out, but you run the risk of being labelled neurotic when in fact you are just extremely anxious :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Mr Google is all very well but when overused can cause more problems than it solves :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:12 am

You are not alone , I'm sure there are many of us that could reach for the phone for the GP on numerous occasions when we get various pains....and the middle of the night always seems the worst!

I have been very anxious lately and my pain & other symptoms def have seem worse, so I would also agree with denys and say at times we need to get our anxiety under control before we begin to worry about other things .

The best advise I can give is learn to listen to your body, you will then know what is normal for you on a day to day basis , what is normal for a flare up or even what is out of the ordinary. When sore I think we all tend to panic, try and breath through the panic and get a sense of what your body is trying to tell you . (Inhale deeply through your nose & then exhale slowly for x2 the time through your mouth) I know it seems all mumbo jumbo but was advised this recently at a pain management seminar and surprisingly I think it does work .

I have had migraine since my teens and so I have had to learn what is just a headache, what is a migraine and what is "the one that got away" These are the migraines I have from time to time that no normal migraine medication will touch and so the only thing is to go to A&E and get different treatment.

On occasions others have paniced when seeing me in "migraine mode" & wanted to rush me straight to A&E but my inner "sense" knew that although it seemed scary & might take time I could see it out with my normal medication. At other times I knew/sensed I needed to go to A&E as things seemed different. ( FM has caused my migraines to change to include stroke like symptoms)

Appreciate what works for me might not work for someone else but hope this helps you realise that what you are feeling is normal part of FM ( DX less than a year so think my anxiety is still quite high) but would suggest you try and discuss your own anxieties with you GP on your next visit and see what they suggest.

Take care
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby LucyLiz » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:53 pm

So I went to the GP who is brilliant, and he was actually really surprised at how little advice I'd been given on the Fibro and how to deal with it. Had a good 20 minute appointment and he's decided I should try Amitriptyline which I've read many of you are using with varying levels of success, so here's hoping it works!
LucyLiz
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

:fingerscrossed: Lucyliz :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:45 pm

I went from one extreme to the other!

I was always seeing GP with terrifyin symptoms feeling the worst only to come out with being told *fibro* so i got on with many symptoms instead of seein GP BUT.... thats also caused problems as i always put everything down to fibro yet alot of it wasnt :-?

I put the pain from my sternum down to fibro and costo when it was a hernia :roll:
Back pain and spasms down to fibro alone when it was also a protruding disc and DDD! :roll:
Countless infections and viruses over many years that i put down to a flare up :-?

Ok all not life threatening but it is a juggle so now i have learned to go anyway. I always say to doctor... I have this symptom and im not sure if its the fibro or another problem please can you check it out as i have left myself before and its not always been the fibro.

They seem ok with that as they know fibro can mimick many illnesses and conditions.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby countyfan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:37 pm

Hi,
Found this thread very interesting... I have just got back from GP and she has signed me off work for a fortnight. As mentioned on other threads have slowly come off Prozac and Dosulepin to go on Cymbalta. After A&E admission yesterday evening, following 4th fainting attack in 2 weeks, have finally had some blood tests taken and an ECG booked. However on phoning the boss, to tell him about sicknote, he went mad at me saying 'I thought you'd told me the doctor said that you were fit to work' (Well yes she had the few previous times I had consulted her but that was before all the latest trouble) The worry is that even though I am off the old tablets, there is a risk of fainting episodes whilst getting the dose of new drug right. I am a medical scientist, so the deputy manager told me I wasn't safe in case I dropped something sharp and injured myself or others. I think the actual boss is worried he might have to get up and actually work for once! The doctor said to go away and not think about work for a fortnight but :'m not able to knowing hoe he feels and is probably moaning to my colleagues behind my back, that I've dropped them all in it, by having this time off :(
countyfan
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:54 pm

You aren't well, you can't help it and your boss shouldn't be making you feel bad about it :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: Fainting while at work isn't good no matter what you do for a living :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Try to ignore what's going on at work, you can't control that situation but you can control how you respond (difficult I know) you need peace to get better and become fit for work again
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:47 pm

Hi countyfan

Like Denys said you cant help being ill, its not your fault so dont feel guilty about work. Let you boss do some work it wont hurt him/her :lol: :lol: you just get yourself better and stress free otherwise you will bring on a flare and that will make you worse.

Hope you get better soon. :hugs:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Pepperty » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:53 pm

almost everything that can go wrong - does - and everything can be on the 'fibromyalgia listing of symptoms' I agree that you cant die from fibromyalgia, but I bet if I do (die early) it'll be from something I thought was a fibro symptom :crazy:

I think the way to see things - and symptoms is - if its debilitating to you, and even if it IS fibro related - you have every right to see your doctor and ask if there is any treatment/medication that may help aleviate. Thats perfectly reasonable :-D
Pepperty
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems