Osteoarthritis as FM Trigger ?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Osteoarthritis as FM Trigger ?

Postby gw8dnb » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:32 am

Hi

In addition to FM as I get older more of my joints are being affected by Osteoarthritis, my knees being the worst.
Sometimes, especially when walking the pain in my knee triggers pain which extends from my hip to my foot, just like one quarter FM.
Has anyone else experienced isolated pain causing a FM attack ?

Paul
My support is my little dog and 2 cats.
gw8dnb
UKFM Newbie

Re: Osteoarthritis as FM Trigger ?

Postby Flash » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:52 am

Hi Paul, I also have OA, it effects my neck, shoulders, spine, hips, elbows, wrists and hands. If my hips and lower back play up it usually stays as artritic pain which can radiate to near areas. But I have found if my upper back and neck flare up, it does aggrivate the F/M more. The osteophytes in my neck cause imflamation which in turn aggrivates the nerves. Also, I have prolapsed discs in the neck which traps a nerve.

Studies that have been going for some years suggest that damage to nerves in the neck are one reason for F/M and I have agreed with this. I had a car accident and glandular fever 18-19 years ago. It was after that I started to be affected with F/M symptoms. Both of these occurances are known to cause damage to the nerves in the neck.

The problem with your knee would cause pain up and down your leg as you use it due to uneven pressure put on the leg. Do you know if your hip has OA in it?
Flash
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems