FM & Mammogram

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

FM & Mammogram

Postby spencebel » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:26 pm

Having to go for this on Friday, had one before, but it is so painful.Hope i can stand it.
Anybody else, have more pain and discomfort.
spencebel
UKFM Member

Re: FM & Mammogram

Postby shazq » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:03 pm

Hi
I have never had one but heard they are painful. :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby loubie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:29 pm

they are painful but a must have.
don't think there is anything they can do to make it any
better for us, but tell them about the fibro.

:goodluck2: hope all goes well :hugs:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

FM & Mammogram

Postby DonnaLily » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:38 am

They are painful for anyone, awful machine, but defo a must do, my mum had a routine mammo a few months back and has ductal carcinoma in situ :-( starts radiotherapy in a few weeks once the bruising from the lumpectomy has gone

I wish you all the best, and if anything is found the success rate for treatment is so good these days xx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away"
DonnaLily
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:52 am

HAve to go for my squishy boob pic sometime this year but haven't had letter yet.
Did have one through a local charity a few years ago ( they came to work and offered them to woman under 49 given teh NHS only start routine screening at 50) and soory to say boy was it sore .This was pre FM dx but not sure if it was pre FM as I now believe have had this awful thing for years !

There is nothing that you can do to stop it being sore so my only advice is just grin & bear it, try and think of something nice & relaxing rather than whats happening to you . The people who do the mamogram are well aware of the fact they can be painful and so do try to be as comforting & quick as possible. Just remember it is a few moment of pain /discomfort for years of peace of mind.

Good luck and hope things go well
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Flash » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:20 am

I had a mammogram a few years ago when they found thickening tissue in already painful breasts. The woman who did the mammogram was didn't speak much english so I couldn't communicate my pain to her. I was just pushed around with grunts and handled roughly. This put me off.

I have fibro cystic breasts and when a letter came for a mammogram in the local Tesco car park, I phoned the people and they just said to take a couple paracetomol half an hour before.

I didn't go but have seen a female doc about my concerns. When I'm ready, I can get a hospital appointment and with someone I can talk too.

If you phone now and voice your concerns, they will be aware when you get there and help you through on a more personal basis. They assume everyone just breezes through unless you tell them. Good luck. :hugs:
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby millymoodoo » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:47 am

Hi

I had a mamogram last year and found it very uncomfortable but i did tell them about fibro and they were as gentle as they could be!!! I was a bit confused when the appointment came through as i was only 47 at the time and i understood i wouldnt be called until i was 50 or over!!! I did ask about it but they had no idea why i had been called 3 years early but the short time in discomfort is really worth it but i was bruised afterwards!!!

Milly xxx :-)
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby Flash » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:08 am

Milly, I am also 47, 46 when called for the latest mammogram. They said they were doing a trial calling younger women as there is a rise in under 50s getting breast cancer. If the trial works and more younger women are helped, it will continue.
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:53 pm

I had one and explained I had fibro when the nurse called me in, she was very nice and apologised for having to move me around, was as gentle as she could be and it was altogether an OK positive experience.
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby spencebel » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:57 pm

Thankyou to everyone.
Well i have been, very painful. Told the lady i have FM, so she was very careful with me and would you believe it, we had a good chat about it, because she herself is in pain, hips , shoulders, back, she takes pain relief but it does not take it off. So before i knew it it was all over.Lady even thanked me for explaining to her about FM, she had read a little about it.
I am now back at home having a cuppa, with my feet up, because that snow is bad out there....................
Take care everyone.
Gentle Hugs
Spencebel...
spencebel
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:47 pm

:welldone: spencebel, glad its over with. :hugs: :flowers:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Flash » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:46 pm

And thanks for sharing your experience so soon after going. You have given me the umph I need to get mine done now. XX :flowers:
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby spencebel » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:31 pm

My result is fine. I can stop worrying.........
spencebel
UKFM Member

Postby moomoos » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:26 pm

Hi, thats good to know the result. Bet you're very happy. Good for you for going etc xx
moomoos
UKFM Member

Postby Flash » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:40 am

:welldone: Spencebel :flowers:
Flash
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems