Can falls in the snow trigger a relapse?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Can falls in the snow trigger a relapse?

Postby samanthal » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:25 pm

Hi,

I know you are going to tell me that is a stupid question.. but I was doing such a good job of managing my symptoms and reducing the relapses what with a step down career wise etc etc.....until the snow came. I fell over three times on the friday that the snow really hit here near Guildford ( stupid boots lol!) ...once at the school where I work and twice when picking my 7 year old up from her school....and my body is not happy :(

Had to have the Monday, tues and wed off work as felt black and blue and as if I had done ten rounds with Mike Tyson. Wasnt really ready to go back on the Thursday but did because I hate being off work.

Had a hard time ever since the fall :( ... and although healing has happened on the places that crashed down :-) ...... my fybro has flared up big time. Why is that?????? Can someone please explain it to me in logical, scientific terms?

Signed.....frustrated, bruised teacher who cant afford to wake up tomorrow and not go to work because she hurts too much and cant wear any clothes lol!!!!!
samanthal
UKFM Member

Re: Can falls in the snow trigger a relapse?

Postby shazq » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:35 pm

Hi
I cant explain it in scientific terms but your fall probably did trigger a flare because trauma/stress are known factors to bring on flares plus you hurting yourself and feeling low all takes its toll on the body, its surprising how little it can take to trigger a flare. :hugs:

Hope you feel better soon, lots of hot baths & water bottles might help. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby samanthal » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:01 pm

Hi Shazq :-D

Thankyou very much for your reply. Thursday and Friday was rapid deterioration but I made it through work :-D . Spent the day in bed today trying to 'manage back' the pain and the blues. Neck not quite so painful now for the rest and propping it up against the bed board to take the pressure off it. Still hobbling on my right leg though like an old lady :crazy: Think I am going to go and and get that hot water bottle you recommended :-D

How are you today? I noticed from your location that you are in bed too :(
samanthal
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:08 pm

Hope your recovery is continuing and the flare is shortlived :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby samanthal » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:44 pm

Thank you Denys :-D

I need to get better to go back to work on Monday :yikes: lol

Having spent the day in bed, I can now reach for a glass at my bedside without grimacing in pain so much. The thought of doing the old star jumps bring tears to my eyes! lol.

Wouldnt it be nice if we could remove our arms and legs from the joints and rub some medicine in :-D

Hope you are having a reasonable weekend :fingerscrossed:
samanthal
UKFM Member

Postby fatanne1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:58 pm

absoflippenlutly. it realy dosnt take much to trigger flair I had stonking cold over xmas as a result one of my worse flairs ever ,, im glad to hea your resting. not much else to do realy as pushing yourself will only make it worse as you know, not that we r very good at not doing too much. hope your bruises heal soon. enjoy rest of wkend :sleep: off to brd. anne xxxxxxx
fatanne1
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:12 am

oooohhhh Star jumps does more than bring tears to my eyes :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: fairy dust and a magic wand are on my wish list, hope you manage to get in on Monday :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:53 pm

Hi Sam
Hope you are feeling better now. :hugs:

Did you manage to get much rest? Heard the weather is getting cold again so make sure you wrap up and hope work goes ok tomorrow. :goodluck1:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby samanthal » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:56 pm

Hi Anne,

It's hard isn't it when you try so painstakingly to manage your life and all of the conditions in your life to avoid relapses or flares... and then something completely out of your control comes along and knocks you for six! That's the really frustrating part! Not only do we have to come to terms with a 'condition' that changes our lives massively forever.... but when we do think we are 'managing' the situation as best as we can or 'controlling' the situation as best as we can... things happen beyond our control. Like falling on my fat arse like a sack of potatoes lol (in front of my school kids!!!!)! Or catching a crappy, germy cold etc etc

I am hoping that by now you are over the worst of your xmas flair? Fingers crossed.

Managed to get back to work yesterday (luckily an INSET day so not so full on as normal with kids about) and made it through today after a couple of horrible weekends. Having to be really strict with myself this week and leave on the bell... hard to do... but not much else to do really. Three more work days to go and only two weeks till half term :-)

x
samanthal
UKFM Member

Postby samanthal » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:05 pm

Hi Denys,

Think I am with you on the wish for fairy dust and a magic wand! I think the last time I did a star jump I was about 10 years old!!!!

Wouldnt it be lovely!!!!!!!

Not sure whether you were like me... but as a kid I was ironically a real lover of sport.

Got into work yesterday :-) It was Inset so a nice easish day back with no kids. Made it in today also :-) Currently not hobbling about the site like Quasimodo :-D

How r u?
samanthal
UKFM Member

Postby fatanne1 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:13 pm

im telling you sam you should be giving yourself major pat on the back for still working fuul time let alone working at all, I only work pt but sometimes even that's a struggle with two young kids and everything elase, sometimes a struggle to put 1 foot in front of the other , talking of fat arses I weighed myself Monday bad idea, and thanx to inactivity and feeling bloody miserable and needing choc lol
ive gained astone since xmas doh:::::,alsojust wondered if anyone has tried mirapexin, apparently weightgain not a side effect although thereb are lots of other. lol as usual, oh and a hyperbaric oxygen treatment, can you tell im on a flair, research research :yikes:
fatanne1
UKFM Member

Postby samanthal » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:16 pm

Hi Shazq,

Sunday pm a much improvement on Saturday :-) thank you x

Yes re the rest...made myself stay in bed all day Sat after my little girl left for the weekend with her father. Didn't want to.. but it had got to the stage when going back to bed for the day wasn't an option.

My little girl spend about one weekend in four with her dad and this weekend was.. thank you lord lol... perfectly timed!

Sunday I advanced to the couch and was able to enjoy a movie :-)

How was your weekend?

Made it into work yesterday and today- thankfully :-) Figure I have two days left in me before I start limping like a deranged limpet lol :crazy:

Going to make sure that I have at least three layers of clothes on tomorrow to protect me from the cold. Only trouble is... I'm going to need to find someone to help me take the layers off because my limbs aren't exactly up to it at the moment!!!That could be interesting lol!

x
samanthal
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems