Re-injuring

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re-injuring

Postby Angel777 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:31 pm

I have had a very painful Achilles , it has happened before , with the fibro I find I just keep retearing it , also I find I am very vulnerable now to muscle injuries where the fibrous tissue is weak . What experiences has anyone else had of this and any tips on how not to keep re injuring apart from sitting !
Angel x
Diagnosed with FM 2007 /Also have Osteoarthritis which I have had for many years .
Looking to connect with fellow FM people near me as well as making friends and having support from this forum .
Angel777
UKFM Member

Re: Re-injuring

Postby Patched » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:21 pm

Hi Angel,
I have similar problems but with plantar fasciatis in both feet, with an element of associated Achilles pain. I actually managed to rupture the plantar fascia under my right foot a few years ago, and like yourself I'm very conscious of the risk that I could repeat the injury quite easily. I find walking is less painful since visiting a podiatrist & using the insoles that she made & provided. I wear good walking shoes rather than just any brand or make of trainer as advised by the podiatrist (I prefer the 'Merrel' brand myself). I used to either walk barefooted or wear moccasin slippers at home but was advised by the podiatrist to wear sandals instead as they do have some arch support, whereas slippers generally don't give much foot support.
I find that when the plantar fascia becomes painful it alters the way I walk & I compensate to avoid putting too much weight onto where it's most painful, which then affects other areas such as the Achilles & other 'referred' muscle pains. I'm not sure if you can self-refer to a podiatrist nowadays, or whether you need referring by a GP, but I think it would be worth a visit & assessment. Perhaps your GP might also refer you to a physiotherapist? Foot & ankle excercises given to me by the physiotherapist & the podiatrist have also helped (although I don't particularly enjoy doing them at the time).
Sorry if this info isn't much help to you Angel, but I hope that you do manage to get some relief from the pain soon, and perhaps some good advice from your GP, podiatrist or physiotherapist.
Good luck, God bless & best wishes.
Patched.
Patched
UKFM Member

Postby Pepperty » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:18 pm

I must say that for me, the fear of injuring/re-injuring myself, can often be the biggest mental block? I get where you are coming from Angel. Because we already accept that we are 'low pain threshold' we tend to be overly cautious about putting ourselves under additional physical exertion.

For me, I try to keep the fibro fog at bay and concentrate very, very, VERY carefully on managing my walking/moving/stretching...as not to 'do myself yet another mischeif' :-? and no, its not failsafe :lol: I can only suggest strapping up your 'extra delicate parts' :roll: and try not to let it rule your life>? not much else I can suggest ;-)

I'm also thinking....some basic (gentle) stretching exersizes on weakest parts of body...to try and strengthen muscles along side, in teh hope it'll protect? On a good note: at least the excessive pain in specific parts will alter - I never have a constant pain in one place (except my lower back which is ruined!) so chances are, in time, your tendon pain will ease --- to be replaced by ribs/hands/shoulder/etc :crazy:

keeps you from going totally mental heheheheh - I HOPE!
Pepperty
UKFM Member

Postby Pepperty » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:18 am

says me: who dropped a glass sauce bottle, 6-8 inches onto bridge of nose? :-o feels like i've broken nose!! :roll: Im not one who can say --- 'just crack on, through pain' :lol:

~damnyoufibro :(
Pepperty
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems