fibro and short term memory

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

fibro and short term memory

Postby karen42 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:29 pm

hi havent been on the forum for a while.sending everyone gentle hugs :-) But recentley ive been having short term memory problems.I discussed this with my gp and he arranged me a appointment with a memory service nurse luckily she came out to my home to do the assement which took just over 2 hours to complete.the memory nurse told me after the test that i needed to have some test which was blood test to check my vitamin d and b levels and some other routine test that all came back fine and ive recentley also had a ecg which also came back fine.And next week i have to go for a mri scan on my brian surely this short term memory problems is all down to my fibromyalgia.Does anyone else have this problem .I also have deppression and also this condributes to memory problems :(
karen42
UKFM Member

Re: fibro and short term memory

Postby shazq » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:56 pm

Hi

Fibro fog comes to us all, i am always forgetting things and often put things in the wrong place, i forget peoples names, i walk into a room and forget what i went in there for. :facepalm:

:goodluck1: for your MRI scan.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby karen42 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:11 pm

Hi
The memory service nurse was aware that i have fibromyalgia along with other health problems.So she should have known short term memory problems are common with fibro.My memory is so bad that i sometimes put things away in drawers and seconds later i forget where i have put it.Its also same when i have a conversation with someone half way through i can forget what the conversation was About.then i end up feeling silly :oops: I also forget peoples names and also find it hard to concentrate or even pay attension.
karen42
UKFM Member

Postby masonsbarms » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:06 pm

hi, karen, it probably is just the fibro fog but like anyother problem it needs investigating to make sur its not some other cause,

what you descibed is like me and also getting words mixed up sometimes i sound drunk,

i spoke to my gp about it and he said i could get it checked but i didnt bother try not to worry to much about it its anoying i know .

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby moomoos » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:16 pm

Hi Karen,

Just come to say that my memory is very bad too. I can also put things down/away and not remember where, even seconds later. I dont remember names sometimes and also I can stop mid sentence/conversation and not know what the subject is. Also words leave my vocabulary, words that I normally use in every day situations. I find I'm worse in pressure/anxious situations. It can be so frustrating and sometimes embarrassing depending on who youre talking to. Its bad over the phone as the other person cant even see you, god only knows what they must think?

I hope our replies have helped you in some small way. xx
moomoos
UKFM Member

Postby monica » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:49 pm

My memory is so bad that i sometimes put things away in drawers and seconds later i forget where i have put it.Its also same when i have a conversation with someone half way through i can forget what the conversation was About.then i end up feeling silly I also forget peoples names and also find it hard to concentrate or even pay attension.

Hi karen, that's exactly how I am most of the time! It does make you feel silly!

I would try not to worry too much, as others have said it's more than likely fibro but good you are being checked out just to be sure.
monica
UKFM Member

Postby jennib54 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:33 pm

:-D Hi' karen i'm exactly the same. trying to tell oh and ds something at teatime(today friday), i got so mixed up that they sounded like arkwright from'open all hours'.
i also put stuff away and seconds later can't remember where i've put it or put things in the wrong place. its good on here coz we all suffer together. :-D
jennib54
UKFM Member

Postby Pinkprincess205 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:39 am

Hi
Im the same can be in the middle of a conversation and just forget what we was talking about and then having to ask the person, so embarressing. I also have conversations with someone on text phone etc and they ask me to do do something and i put the phone and iv totally forgotton. I have lists for EVERYTHING lol. I also hate forgettin words that are so easy but i just cant get it out. I dont forget friends and family names lucky lol.
Vic x
Pinkprincess205
UKFM Member

Postby karen42 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:04 pm

hi
been for my mri scan today was in the scanner over 20 minutes after i had been in for 10 minute the lady doing the scan said that the scans where blurd and that she would have to put on the drs report that the scan was inconclusive so she made me stay in another 10 minutes all my shoulders were having terrible muscle spasms maybe thats why she couldnt get a clear picture of my brain.But at the End of the day we can not control these spasms.Now iv got terrible pain in my shoulders and a stiff neck and a headache.And i feel the mri scan was all a waste off time :-x
karen42
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:32 am

Hate MRI scans, so claustrophobic, especially when it's the head or neck being done. But it's not been a waste of time, if results are clear then it will put your mind at rest . Anemia particularly iron deficient the most common can play havoc with short term memory. I mislaid both my insulin pens a few weeks ago, took hours of searching for my Oh to find them at the back of a cupboard, by which time my blood sugar levels were sky high. Could have kicked myself.

Poor quality sleep (which many people with Fibro have), plays havoc with anyone's memory and concentration.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:56 am

Short term memory think I have forgotten what that is. Have to write everything down and half way through speaking I go blank or totally irrelevant words come out and as for loosing things :facepalm: :facepalm: Went to do on-line banking this morning and I could not remember my user ID which I have had for years :dunno: :dunno: Life is shortly going to be one big remember to do list. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby monica » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:49 am

I had one of those MRI scans for my back. Hated it! I had music blasting in my ears to try and combat the noise which made it worse!

I hate it when I can't remember peoples names who've I've know for years. Grrrr!
monica
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:29 am

Sorry your MRI appointment didn't go as you would have liked. Here's hoping the Consultant can get enough from the scan to take away some of your concerns .
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems