Anyone else had this?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Anyone else had this?

Postby lou@4072 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:11 pm

Hi all...

For the past 2 days i have been getting pins and needles in my finger tips on both hands. My hands are also cold when this happens. Is this another sign of having fibro :( . Back at docs again on tuesday so will ask her as well.

This makes it difficult like now when i'm trying to type this message lol . many Thanx and keep :-D
lou@4072
UKFM Newbie

Re: Anyone else had this?

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:23 pm

:wave: :wave: :wave: Lou and :welcome: to the forum.

I've split your post off from where you had originally made it as that topic covered a different problem and your post could have just been lost under any other replies that were made in response to the OPs original question. When you have a question about something, if you can't find a recent thread about it, starting a new one is usually a good idea.

Pins and needles aren't a sign of having FM as such. What they are is more of an associated problem or symptom as pins and needles can be caused by all sorts of problems. I suffer with them, esp in my hands, but in my case the problem seems to stem from a broken neck I sustained in a car accident nearly 20 years ago, which was a long time before other FM~related problems started appearing. Extremities, such as fingertips or hands, feeling cold is also an associated problem for a lot of us, but there can also be other causes for that as well.

The best thing you can do is what you have already said you plan to do ~ talk to your GP when you go on Tuesday and see what she has to say.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Iceskatemum » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:45 pm

I am obviously not a trained medic but just from my own experience given you have pins & needles in your fingers & your hands are cold, you could have initial symptoms of Raynaunds. Getting it all checked out with the GP is obviously the best thing that you can do if you are worried.

My GP DX me with this condition over 25 years ago and I put it down to my working conditions ( they were primative to say the least) I was then given meds but I got reall bad head aches I stopped taking them and never went back .Once I changed my workiing environement I didn't get the symptoms again .
In reading around FM it seems quite common for folk to be dx with raynauds at some point in the journey towards a FM dx.

At the moment I think my teenage daughter may also have symptoms relating to Raynauds like illness and have taken her to the GP but they seem reluctant to take it further , however just last night having been in all evening her fingers & toes were a mottly blue colour and very cold. She has also had chilblains on her toes which have made walkng difficult.

I just hope it is'nt a warning of FM in her future.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby jennib54 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:33 pm

:-D Hi' funnily enough i'm at docs next friday with the same problem, i suffer with dead legs aswell. i'd never heard of Rau thingy till joining this great place. is this disease easy to dx

i'd had some bloods done 2 weeks ago. saw doc on thursday and was told to go back about pins and needles and tingling thats what i'm going back about next friday. sorry for repeating myself but having a foggy brain. :-D :-D
jennib54
UKFM Member

Postby nad1611 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:06 pm

The simple answer to this question is yes. There certainly is a strong link between Fibro and pins and needles and the good news I suppose is that the difference between the pins and needles in Fibro is that it's unlikely to have long term effects/damage. Other conditions such as Diabetes can cause this type of Peripheral Neuropathy, which can cause damage to nerve endings.

Fluppy puffy's right, pins and needles can be the result of many conditions,however if you have Fibro there's a good chance that the pins and needles are connected. The job of the GP/Consultant is to ensure that actually there isn't another underlying problem rather than putting everything down to Fibro. If you consider that Fibro is believed to be a problem with pain processing in the central nervous system, it's easier to imagine that you may experience other oddities. I am having lots of problems and there's a discrepancy between what my GP thinks is Raynauds and my Consultant who thinks it's the Fibro.
It's a case of adding everything up. What other symptoms you have along with the pins and needles ie change of skin colour etc to determine what it is. It could be that people are being diagnosed with Raynauds when it may be simply be Fibro.
nad1611
UKFM Newbie

Postby lou@4072 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:52 pm

Hi all

My doc has said it's is due to my fibro. just another thing to add to the list lol :-D
lou@4072
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:36 pm

I would check with your Dr. I was diagnosed with Raynauds before fibro. The three ruemys, nurologist, pain Dr and my GP all diagnosed Raynauds as well after fibro was diagnosed. I always check new symptoms with my Dr. I had symptoms I wrote off to fibro and just let things go a couple of those symptoms turned out to be ...a stroke, I waited 4 days to go.......stomach pain, it was bleeding gallbladder. It doesn't hurt to get things checked.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems