So many symptoms it must be????

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

So many symptoms it must be????

Postby dragon1004 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:25 pm

Where do I start?? Okay, for the last few years my health has been shooting downhill. Quite frankly, I (and my unsympathetic GP I suspect) have been blaming it on my age and, more significantly, my weight. I am obese and have been for most of my life. This is why I feel my GP doesn't care to investigate much further.

I have suffered from depression, and more lately anxiety too, for years on and off. But the physical problems and a catalogue of "issues" over the last few years are leading me to believe I have fibromyalgia. I feel as if I'm going mad, my GP is sick of the sight of me and I just can't bear to turn up with yet another issue. But everything I research points me in this direction.

I had our first, and only, child at 40 and for the last 3 years or so I have been feeling physically and emotionally exhausted. Yes I'm getting older and he's hard work, but the tiredness is noticeably worse, whereas my weight is constant. Something has changed. Apart from the tiredness is the fact that I'm always cold. I sit wrapped in a blanket most evenings and still shiver even though the OH is complaining about the heating bill! I've also developed Reynauds, which is getting worse each winter. I have been diagnosed in the last few months with a goitre (multi-nodular thyroid) and I was relieved that it was obviously the cause of my coldness...but it wasn't...my thyroid function is normal.

Over the last 3 years I have suffered from, in roughly chronological order:
Increasing stiffness when getting up, from bed or when sat down - GP says no arthritis
Soreness and pain in pelvis and shoulders after laying in bed all night (possibly weight related) - ongoing
Plantarfasciitis leading to tendonitis in my right ankle - onging
Tennis elbow in my right arm, now cleared
Unexplained lower back/pelvic pain, now cleared
IBS - ongoing
Right arm and shoulder pain (RSI) associated with mouse/PC use - ongoing
Increasing shoulder and neck pain, possibly due to the RSI above
Bouts of dizziness, leading to labyrinthitis last spring, which has left me with BPPV and tinnitus
Tendonitis in my left ankle
Numbness around lips and facial twitching - GP says anxiety related
Runners knee (pain and stiffness) which is probably linked to my weight
Spontaneous clotting of a varicose vein causing superficial thrombophlebitis and infection (probably not linked to fibro)
Stinging and tingling above my left breast with pain spreading into my armpit (non-cardio hopefully!)
Frequent headaches and sinus issues
and on...and on...

I also suffer a lot of pain when, for example, my OH knocks my legs in bed at night, or my son jumps up on my lap. Sometimes I just can't stand and cook a meal at night as am in so much pain, but I do because I have to. I feel as though I'm always moaning, my OH is sick of it and can't believe I'm so fragile. My constant illness/pain is causing problems with our family life, and it's all adding to my depression and despair. I also take far too many co-codamol for my liking and am worried that I may be becoming addicted.

Where do I go from here? Apart from my GP who will welcome me with open arms...not. Did anyone else go through this before diagnosis, or are you going through it now? Could it all just be down to my weight, or is that the obvious excuse not to dig any further? For the record, I do try to lose weight and know I need to but my state of mind and pain makes it difficult to persevere. Would love to know I'm not alone and not just going mad!
dragon1004
UKFM Newbie

Re: So many symptoms it must be????

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:15 pm

:welcome: to the forum dragon :wave: :wave:

I'm sorry to hear what you're going thru and how long it has been going on for you. Sadly there are still some dinosaurs practising as GPs and consultants.

When someone finds they are in a situation similar to yours, the usual suggestion is to try a different GP at your surgery to see what they have to say about your symptoms and problems, and if they are still the same, then keep trying different ones, changing surgeries if necessary, until you find a more helpful and understanding one who is prepared to investigate things to try and find what is affecting you.

There are a number of possible reasons/conditions that could be responsible for making you feel as you do, all of which need to be thoroughly investigated before any sort of dx is given. You're definitely not on your own tho :wave: :wave: :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby kazak » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:11 pm

hi dragon1004
my problems started when i was 22wks pregnant when i hurt my back(my son is now 9yrs) i went through the same as u weight issues, depression etc. i do have a understanding gp but i only got dx 31st dec 2012 i had loads of other issues galstones, quincey, back, depression, diabetes, ibs the list goes on. they have to rule out so many things because there isn't a test for fibro. every blood test i had came back with something so that had to be dealt with 1st, then more blood tests followed by more issues with eventually refered to rhumy. hang in there and ask to be refered to rhumatology(where u will have to repeat all the blood tests u prob already had. gud luck.
kazak
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:24 pm

Hi and :welcome: to the forum :wave: we cant say whether its FM but lots of us went through loads of tests and things before being diagnosed, try asking your doc if it is possible that FM is a possibility and maybe ask for a referral to a rhuematologist.

If you feel that your doc is totally unsympathetic and wont hear you out, is there another doc maybe a little more sympathetic in your surgery or another surgery that you can transfer too :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

:goodluck1: and :fingerscrossed: lets us know how you get on :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby dragon1004 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:45 pm

Thanks for the advice. Mentioned this to the OH last night and got the usual "something else now is it? It's all in your head". Supportive guy.
For some reason my surgery needs you to write an essay to explain why you can't see your normal GP...well it feels like as much hassle anyway. I'll try with the usual and if I feel I am getting fobbed off then I'll start writing my 500 words!
I must admit though that I'm not sure I actually have the main symptom, the pain. I do get a lot of pain, especially as the day goes on, but when at rest early in the day I don't notice anything significant. Apart from when I first get up. Is that the way it usually affects you - constant pain regardless of activity? I suppose it varies for you all?
dragon1004
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:16 am

It does vary and in quite significant ways, but if you have more fatigue than pain then maybe it would be worth exploring the ME/CFS route :-D :-D :-D
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems